grrrrrrrrrrr this shit makes me go hulk mode

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2015, 06:17 PM
grrrrrrrrrrr this shit makes me go hulk mode
http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/...-counselor

When a non-religious woman in Albuquerque showed up to her court-ordered counseling appointment, she was confronted with prosyltization and prayer.
Holly Salzman says she had sought help from the courts in co-parenting her 11-year-old sons with her ex-husband. The result was a court-order that sent Salzburg to a counselor named Mary Pepper. Once she got there, Salzburg realized something was definitely up when Pepper tried to open the session through prayer. When Salzman informed her new counselor that she was not religious and felt vastly uncomfortable with the directive to pray, the response she got from the counselor was basically a shrug and an eyeroll. When she decided to say nuts to that noise and forego the involuntary bible study, the court went ahead and took her kids, saying that she could have them back once she finished the sessions.

She did stay the course, but not before having to fill out questionnaires titled "What is God to Me?" and having the counselor insist that despite the fact that Holly didn't believe in God, she actually did and was just confused. And of course there's the small fact that Pepper chose to take cash literally under the table because her counseling racket, which she executes at the public library, is actually super-duper illegal. Truly, a Godly woman above reproach.

This is not okay. If the state is going to require someone to attend counseling sessions, they better make sure that they aren't violating the person's religious belief—or lack thereof—in the process. There's a reason that we take great pains to separate church from state, and you would think that people might have learned their lesson after watching Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who would rather sit in jail than sign a piece of paper that allows gay people to get married, make a massive fool of herself and a mockery of her own religion.

Unfortunately, this kind of condescending, "you just need to come to Jesus" moment playing out in the courts isn't even new. It's a nifty little trick that's pulled — particularly in Bible Belt states — that stupidly conflates the law of the land with the personal beliefs of whatever zealot judge is passing out these mandates.

For instance, there was the case in 2012, where an Oklahoman judge told a transgender woman that she could not change her name—something that's perfectly legal in Oklahoma—because the Bible led him to conclude that "the DNA code shows God meant for them to stay male and female.”

Or a year before that, when a Houston judge gave nine defendants a Bible study book to read and then write a report on because he felt the situation "called" to do so.

etc etc AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-09-2015, 06:26 PM
RE: grrrrrrrrrrr this shit makes me go hulk mode
I wonder how they would feel if say... the judge was Muslim and made them recite passages from the qu'ran......

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-09-2015, 06:27 PM
WTF???????

Is America a democratic and free nation or is it like Saudi Arabia???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
16-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Funny... Because where my parents live there recently was a conservative local politian campaigning to be mayor of a little village who was kicked out of the party after using a bible verse as a campaign slogan (violates constitutional seperation of church and state). That may give you an idea of how things go in the rest of the sane world.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 8 users Like The Germans are coming's post
16-09-2015, 07:06 PM
(16-09-2015 06:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/...-counselor

When a non-religious woman in Albuquerque showed up to her court-ordered counseling appointment, she was confronted with prosyltization and prayer.
Holly Salzman says she had sought help from the courts in co-parenting her 11-year-old sons with her ex-husband. The result was a court-order that sent Salzburg to a counselor named Mary Pepper. Once she got there, Salzburg realized something was definitely up when Pepper tried to open the session through prayer. When Salzman informed her new counselor that she was not religious and felt vastly uncomfortable with the directive to pray, the response she got from the counselor was basically a shrug and an eyeroll. When she decided to say nuts to that noise and forego the involuntary bible study, the court went ahead and took her kids, saying that she could have them back once she finished the sessions.

She did stay the course, but not before having to fill out questionnaires titled "What is God to Me?" and having the counselor insist that despite the fact that Holly didn't believe in God, she actually did and was just confused. And of course there's the small fact that Pepper chose to take cash literally under the table because her counseling racket, which she executes at the public library, is actually super-duper illegal. Truly, a Godly woman above reproach.

This is not okay. If the state is going to require someone to attend counseling sessions, they better make sure that they aren't violating the person's religious belief—or lack thereof—in the process. There's a reason that we take great pains to separate church from state, and you would think that people might have learned their lesson after watching Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who would rather sit in jail than sign a piece of paper that allows gay people to get married, make a massive fool of herself and a mockery of her own religion.

Unfortunately, this kind of condescending, "you just need to come to Jesus" moment playing out in the courts isn't even new. It's a nifty little trick that's pulled — particularly in Bible Belt states — that stupidly conflates the law of the land with the personal beliefs of whatever zealot judge is passing out these mandates.

For instance, there was the case in 2012, where an Oklahoman judge told a transgender woman that she could not change her name—something that's perfectly legal in Oklahoma—because the Bible led him to conclude that "the DNA code shows God meant for them to stay male and female.”

Or a year before that, when a Houston judge gave nine defendants a Bible study book to read and then write a report on because he felt the situation "called" to do so.

etc etc AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

May I? Thank you.

Court ordered counseling that included proselytizing and prayer: Bangin

Mary Pepper and her under the table counseling religious nonsense: Beat_stick

My transgender daughter wanted to talk things over with a counselor and had to go to a couple of different counselors before she found one that didn't have a religious slant on things... and this is in a part of the country that's not very religious. I can't imagine what it's like in the bible belt.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Cases like these absolutely make my blood boil. Compounding my frustration is when Christians want to play the victim, exhibiting their age-old persecution complex. That's why im happy to see more and more atheists banding together to help their community, and dispel the idiotic public perceptions and myths that people associate with us. Being an Oklahoman myself, it's tough being around so many backward, ignorant people. Especially so when they think that because you don't believe in god, you're automatically an immoral, untrustworthy cretin. it becomes hard sometimes to toe the line between correcting people's misconceptions, and becoming a cynical asshole to everyone.
[+] 1 user Likes EppurSiMuove's post
16-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Fml I didn't need to know about this.

It just pisses me off and honestly sometimes I think I'm happier in my bubble.

Sad

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-09-2015, 08:15 PM
xian persecution is largely a myth. Diocletian is really the only serious persecutor. He is also the only one emperor for which physical evidence of the persecution exists. What really happened is the xians persecuted the pagans and wiped them out. Justinian finally banned it under threat of death.
Too bad Diocletian did not finish the job. Fucking cabbages!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
16-09-2015, 09:20 PM
This sort of thing is not unusual. When I was practicing law, every judge around here knew that I was an atheist and if they ever sent my clients, even the believers to some religious probation or counselor, the judges knew that I would drag their sorry asses out of their state courtrooms and into a federal court. I never had any problem with this stuff but I wouldn't hesitate to embarrass a judge.
[+] 5 users Like Black Eagle's post
17-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Can't entirelly believe that such shit still happening in XXI century.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post