guitar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2010, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 03:22 AM by No J..)
RE: guitar
I teach guitar. I have played in bands, toured and recorded. I never hit the big time, but one of the bands that I was in had the potential, but not the management.

Kikko, there are exercises to teach your fingers how to move to get what you want. The exercises are the gruntwork of music. They may be boring, but they work. Starting with very simple nursery rhymes is extremely an effective learning tool.

Solderingon, If your first song is of pro quality you would be outdoing Mozart, which means that you would be a prodogy of historic significance. To smooth out a song, play the parts slowly and as consistantly as you can. Always work on speed AFTER you get control over all the muscles involved in playing the song.

Unfortunately, music and tabs posted on the web, ultimateguitar.com included, are very often filled with mistakes, just plain wrong or written by idiots who know about as much about music as creationists know about genetics. When I pull a song off the web, I get a recording of it, sometimes from youtube, and play along to find any mistakes. I then rewrite the whole thing before I show it to my students. I have, on occasion, chucked the downloaded tab in the garbage and did the whole song by ear because some tab versions are so bad they are a hinderance to learning the song. Unfortunately, you often find that many sites have the same piece-of-crap tab. Now here is a real conspiacy theaory.

I hope I don't scare anyone off of playing. Playing an instrument is a lot of fun. The better you get the more fun it gets.
When you are a beginner you are at the hardest stage in any instrument. Once you can play a few songs and they start sounding good, it starts getting easier. So keep playing.

If a tab you have doesn't sound right, trust your ear. Do some scales and chord exercises and have fun, always have fun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 03:30 AM

(11-09-2010 03:16 AM)No J. Wrote:  I teach guitar. I have played in bands, toured and recorded. I never hit the big time, but one of the bands that I was in had the potential, but not the management.

Kikko, there are exercises to teach your fingers how to move to get what you want. The exercises are the gruntwork of music. They may be boring, but they work. Starting with very simple nursery rhymes is extremely an effective learning tool.

Solderingon, If your first song is of pro quality you would be outdoing Mozart, which means that you would be a prodogy of historic significance. To smooth out a song, play the parts slowly and as consistantly as you can. Always work on speed AFTER you get control over all the muscles involved in playing the song.

Unfortunately, music and tabs posted on the web, ultimateguitar.com included, are very often filled with mistakes, just plain wrong or written by idiots who know about as much about music as creationists know about genetics. When I pull a song off the web, I get a recording of it, sometimes from youtube, and play along to find any mistakes. I then rewrite the whole thing before I show it to my students. I have, on occasion, chucked the downloaded tab in the garbage and did the whole song by ear because some tab versions are so bad they are a hinderance to learning the song. Unfortunately, you often find that many sites have the same piece-of-crap tab. Now here is a real conspiacy theaory.

I hope I don't scare anyone off of playing. Playing an instrument is a lot of fun. The better you get the more fun it gets.
When you are a beginner you are at the hardest stage in any instrument. Once you can play a few songs and they start sounding good, it starts getting easier. So keep playing.

If a tab you have doesn't sound right, trust your ear. Do some scales and chord exercises and have fun, always have fun.

Thanks for the encouragement. and I notice a HUGE variation of tab quality on any site. But I use it to get "close enough" for riffs. When it comes to learning a song (like the Nirvana one I just did), I try to play along. it's rough, but I don't have a room mate, so there's no one to annoy or to criticize me (which is why I gave it up before I got anywhere so many years ago).

I just learned the C Major scale, as well. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 03:58 AM
(11-09-2010 03:30 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I just learned the C Major scale, as well. Smile

If you are a rocker or a blues player, you will want to learn the pentatonic minor scale. Learn it in E minor first.
11-09-2010, 04:10 AM

(11-09-2010 03:58 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(11-09-2010 03:30 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I just learned the C Major scale, as well. Smile

If you are a rocker or a blues player, you will want to learn the pentatonic minor scale. Learn it in E minor first.

Thanks for that.
15-09-2010, 03:46 AM

(11-09-2010 12:11 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  I play! I'm not particularly good, but I've been in three different bands.

LeviTimes, same as here with me also. As right now I am just taking a training to play that. As I am not that much good to play it, but I just want to say that its one of my hobby to play and thats why I am taking training to play that.
15-09-2010, 10:22 PM

I think the guitar is a painful bitch of an instrument. I love to play even though I don't have the time to practice enough to get really good. I hate playing the piano with numb fingers too.

I do wish I could play well because, let's face it, guitar is sexy. Tongue Unfortunately, I know all the music theory I need to to figure out every cheat in the book ... I can transpose any song into the keys of G, D, and C and avoid all the hard chords. I know I'm limiting myself but it's so much less painful. Smile

I find guitar less theoretically challenging than piano but far more technically challenging if that makes any sense. You have to have a monster grip and tons of flexibility.

I admire you, No J.
16-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I very seldom get numb fingers because I play enough to keep my fingers calloused. They are not uncomfortable working type callouses that carpenters and laborers get. I basically don't notice them.

I play a litte piano, too, (keyboard with the usual keyboard voices) but I suspect that your guitar playing may be better than my piano playing. I can play some cool blues stuff in Cmin., Dmin., Emin., Gmin., Amin. and Bmin.

I also play some harmonica.

I enjoy trading posts with you, too.
16-09-2010, 06:35 PM

(16-09-2010 01:21 AM)No J. Wrote:  I play a litte piano, too, (keyboard with the usual keyboard voices) but I suspect that your guitar playing may be better than my piano playing.

I highly doubt it. I do find strumming patterns and easy finger picking easy to maneuver, but I can't play a lead riff to save my life.

Quick guitar question: Tons of people teach themselves to play guitar (I'm sure quite successfully) but is the learning curve easier with a teacher? I'm sure I'm falling into all kinds of technical no-no's that might be making things harder. Feel free to share all your bar chord secrets too. Smile

There, now I owe you free keyboard tips. Smile
17-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Usually a teacher can help a student advance faster than learning on ones own. Some students have to do it their own way and some teachers suck and are discouraging to the student. Pick a good teacher.

Start by placing your index finger across the neck, no the one on the guitar, yes that one.
It should span the fretboard covering all strings and be close to the fret that on the bridge side of your finger. try to play all six strings, one at a time. The object is to hear them all ringing together. Once you do that then work on making your hand comfortable in this position. The start with an easy bar chord. like A minor 7th. Bar the 5th fret with your index finger and place your ring finger on the 7th fret of th 5th string(second lowest string). The next chord could be A 7th, then A. Make sure you strive to make your hand comfortable. That will make playing easier.
17-09-2010, 09:10 AM

(17-09-2010 01:17 AM)No J. Wrote:  Usually a teacher can help a student advance faster than learning on ones own. Some students have to do it their own way and some teachers suck and are discouraging to the student. Pick a good teacher.

Start by placing your index finger across the neck, no the one on the guitar, yes that one.
It should span the fretboard covering all strings and be close to the fret that on the bridge side of your finger. try to play all six strings, one at a time. The object is to hear them all ringing together. Once you do that then work on making your hand comfortable in this position. The start with an easy bar chord. like A minor 7th. Bar the 5th fret with your index finger and place your ring finger on the 7th fret of th 5th string(second lowest string). The next chord could be A 7th, then A. Make sure you strive to make your hand comfortable. That will make playing easier.

I'll give it shot and let you know how it goes! Thanks!