guitar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2010, 07:30 AM

RE: guitar
I restrung my guitar the other day and I switched brands. I went from D'Addario mediums to Martin lights. It sounds mechanical and twangy now. The warmth is gone.

I originally went with the Martins as a cost saving measure. From $20 a set to $8. I think next time I'm just going to spend the money. I may try Martin Mediums and see if it is the difference in string gauges, and not the brand, but I know I am definitely NOT a fan of Martin Lights.

ETA: Martin M140 lights, specifically.
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 04:06 AM
(22-09-2010 07:30 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I restrung my guitar the other day and I switched brands. I went from D'Addario mediums to Martin lights. It sounds mechanical and twangy now. The warmth is gone.

Lighter strings do have a less bassy, more trebly sound. D'Addario makes good strings, I don't remember if I have ever tried Martin strings.

If you have an acoustic guitar and you want to put a heavy duty set of strings on it, you would be wise to consult a guitar builder or repair person to see if your guitar is built to handle heavy strings. Otherwise the tension from the strings may damage the guitar.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 04:15 AM

(23-09-2010 04:06 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(22-09-2010 07:30 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I restrung my guitar the other day and I switched brands. I went from D'Addario mediums to Martin lights. It sounds mechanical and twangy now. The warmth is gone.

Lighter strings do have a less bassy, more trebly sound. D'Addario makes good strings, I don't remember if I have ever tried Martin strings.

If you have an acoustic guitar and you want to put a heavy duty set of strings on it, you would be wise to consult a guitar builder or repair person to see if your guitar is built to handle heavy strings. Otherwise the tension from the strings may damage the guitar.

Well, it came with mediums on it, and it is a beginner guitar (built like a tank with a plywood top). I upgraded it with bone saddle and nut, but it's still a $200 guitar (though it sounds incredible).

I'm going to stick with mediums. I like the deeper tone. It's why I bought a dreadnought instead of a standard or classical. I just think that going with lights was a poor choice. I'll stick with them as I have already stretched them into submission and it no longer needs retuning. But when they're worn out and dead sounding I am back to the more expensive strings in the size that I prefer.
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 12:40 AM
That is exactly what I would do.

I have a few guitars so to keep track of which type are on each guitar, I keep the front of the package that they came in in the guitar case, with the date I changed strings written on the package, That way I know how old they are and if I liked a set I want to replace them with the same kind I don't have to have them memorized.

I also keep extra sets in all my guitar cases so I can replace strings whenever and where ever one breaks. This way I am never stuck.

Keep Rockin'.
02-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Been playing since I was 11. 17 now, took lessons for 5 years.
Currently jamming with two different bands, nothing serious yet, though.
One band is simply for jamming cover songs of bands we like, writing original
music in the other but no recordings yet, we just found a drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
03-10-2010, 12:36 AM
(02-10-2010 11:56 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Been playing since I was 11. 17 now, took lessons for 5 years.
Currently jamming with two different bands, nothing serious yet, though.
One band is simply for jamming cover songs of bands we like, writing original
music in the other but no recordings yet, we just found a drummer.

Is the picture in your signature of one of your bands?
03-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Nope. Just a band I listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
I bought a bass and a guitar when I was a Metallica fanboy.Then I realized the reality of the music industry. I have my instruments and want to play them for myself but don't know where to begin ?

Do I learn Chords ? Scales ? Do I train my ear ? (how DO you train your ear btw?)
I spent a few years constantly repeating the same few songs and scales and got nowhere Sad
04-11-2010, 01:59 AM
First, what do you want to play and how do you want to play it? Do you want to jam with friends, sing around a campfire, play in a weekend band or sit at home and play just for fun?
From what you said, picking a goal and working towards it should be more effective than learning randomly.

Chords - you need to learn the chords you are going to play in songs. Chords are essencial to guitar playing, but not everyone needs to know the tough jazz chords. Get the basics down first. Remember, you don't truly know a chord until you can easily change to it accurately at the speed of the songs you are playing.

Scales - If you play solos or fills, scales are what you will play. Scale practice enables your fingers to move accurately to the notes you want. The next step is to learn how to create solos or fills. Copy other people's solos to start learning.

Ear training - Pick something very simple part of a song and try to learn it one note at a time. As you get better, you pick slightly harder parts.

Getting a good teacher is very effective. A good teacher will help you learn a lot faster than you can on your own.

Good luck.
04-11-2010, 04:19 AM
I want to play at home for fun , maybe around a campfire or with a band but again for fun , for the scope of TRYING(very loosely) to produce art, to express ideas.

Ear training - I actually meant getting used to notes , so if I hear a note I can easily say , ok that's A# from scale 3.Am i going about this wrong ?

Any sites you recommend ?