guitar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
RE: guitar
(02-01-2011 01:10 AM)No J. Wrote:  It is not really a guitar, it is a guitar shaped synth that is designed to be used by guitarists. I would like to try it out.

So would I. Still I am curios if it can be properly played as a guitar or all guitar playing knowledge falls when you play a synth.

(02-01-2011 02:29 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  For about four years, I played violin two years before that, odd transition, but I think it helped out in the long run, especially when I learned Cello, Viola, and Bass.

Did you go to music school ? Or did you take lessons ? Self-learner ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I learned Violin and Cello from a teacher, I learned Viola by learning the cello (they have the same strings, the only difference is the tone and the size and play style of the instrument, and the music reading is a half step different). I self taught guitar while I was still playing Violin, but gave up quite a few times before finally hitting a teacher and giving up once more before I finally got the hang of it about two years ago. I learned the bass while learning guitar, and from my neighbor. I never went to a music school, but I did get my foundation for music in school.
02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
(02-01-2011 10:55 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  So would I. Still I am curios if it can be properly played as a guitar or all guitar playing knowledge falls when you play a synth.

The fingering would be the same, at least in standart tuning. I don't know if it comes with alternate tunings or the ability to create your own tunings.

The fingerboard looks like it is designed to feel like a guitar. I don't know if there is any way to do "string bending" on that thing.

Definitely some guitar technique would apply, how much, though, is the question.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-01-2011, 06:20 AM
(02-01-2011 07:00 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I learned Violin and Cello from a teacher, I learned Viola by learning the cello (they have the same strings, the only difference is the tone and the size and play style of the instrument, and the music reading is a half step different). I self taught guitar while I was still playing Violin, but gave up quite a few times before finally hitting a teacher and giving up once more before I finally got the hang of it about two years ago. I learned the bass while learning guitar, and from my neighbor. I never went to a music school, but I did get my foundation for music in school.

That's almost my story - at least in regard to guitar.Started in high school eager to be a rockstar.Learned the basics.Went to a teacher.Stopped taking lessons , and in Colege after repeating the basics at nausea I went on hiatus for a year and a half.Started to learn again this year but I still get blind spots.
Glad to know I'm not alone , thx.
16-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Hey , NO.J , a question if I may.
If i have tube amps , do I have to let them cool down after I play (i.e leave them on , but not play anything) before I turn them off ?
16-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I have never adhered to that and have never suffered from damaged tubes, to my knowledge. It is possible that it may shorten the life-time of your tubes, but I have no actual verification of that. Amps that have a stand-by switch suggest, in their manuals, that you turn o the stand-by and let the tubes cool befire turnibg the amp off, but I have not seen any instructions in manuals of amps without stand-by switches for operators to leave the amp on for a few minutes without playing. So, you don't have to let them cool down. There is no quick damage that happens to the tubes from that, that I have ever seen or heard of. If there is damage, it will shorten the life-time of your tubes, but they die eventually anyway, so it is very hard to be sure. You need an expert in the electronics of tubes to be sure.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
16-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Well my Dad is an electronics engineer but I doubt he works with tubes Tongue
18-01-2011, 03:20 AM
These days tubes are used only in music gear such as amps, pre-amps, tube compressors etc. It has only been in the last few years that electronics of non-tube circuits could start matching the sound of tube circuits with respect to the warmth they produce and third harmonic distortion (THD - the overdrive in guitar amps).

Try emailing the companys that built your amps and ask them.

18-01-2011, 05:03 AM
okay , I'll give it a shot.
28-01-2011, 10:53 AM
A question about bass , could anyone name some players worth listening to ?

In respect to guitar I heard of many like Steve Vai , Satrianni , Michael Angelo etc.
But in bass guitar I only know of Victor Wooten and Larry Graham . Sad

Any suggestions ? (blues/jazz/funk/rock jazz)