hating rap and loving metal.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: hating rap and loving metal.
(14-03-2014 03:43 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I love metal but hate rap. In my school when they play music I always say it is terrible because it is either beyonce or this nah nah song. I was even told I should like rap music because I was black. I perfer metallica over meek mills, AC-DC over 2 chains, Slayer over drake, and black sabboth over lil wayne.
But I gotta say, music is totally subjective and genres are very large.

I love metal but of your list I really only like Black Sabbath and even then only the Ozzy years + the Dio fronted Heaven and Hell album.

Metallica haven't put out anything decent for well over quarter of a century.
It was a total sham putting out a "The Big Four" concert as a Thrash event and including Metallica whom haven't done thrash since "And Justice for All" was released in 1988 (that's 26 years ago).

I really struggle listing to the Slayer part of "The Big Four" DVD. Just repetitive boring songs that I can't tell apart from each other. Have they taken the time to learn how to play musical instruments?

But Megadeth and Anthrax fronted by Belladona really make that DVD worth it. If they had replaced Slayer with Sepultura and Metallica with Annihilator then it would have been fantastic.

I'm sure there are lots and lots of people whom have decided they don't like Metal, but if given the right bands to listen to then they would be totally hooked.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I have to agree here, I generally dislike Rap and Hip-Hop and absolutely love metal, doesn't mean I regard all rap as utter shite, just most of it.

I can not understand my generations fascination with it, nor the stereo-type that all because of you being black you have to listen to it.

Listen to what you like, not what you are told to like.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Blackhand293's post
15-03-2014, 02:11 PM
(15-03-2014 02:07 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I have to agree here, I generally dislike Rap and Hip-Hop and absolutely love metal, doesn't mean I regard all rap as utter shite, just most of it.

I can not understand my generations fascination with it, nor the stereo-type that all because of you being black you have to listen to it.

Listen to what you like, not what you are told to like.

Welcome you should stay, FOREVER!!!!!!

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
15-03-2014, 04:19 PM
(15-03-2014 01:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Metallica haven't put out anything decent for well over quarter of a century.
It was a total sham putting out a "The Big Four" concert as a Thrash event and including Metallica whom haven't done thrash since "And Justice for All" was released in 1988 (that's 26 years ago).

I really struggle listing to the Slayer part of "The Big Four" DVD. Just repetitive boring songs that I can't tell apart from each other. Have they taken the time to learn how to play musical instruments?

First of all, when Metallica play a setlist, you do know that 75 % of it comes form that exact period (1983-1988). Also, Death Magnetic had thrash rhythms all over it, and even if it wasn't perfect, it was as much as we could hope for.

Secondly, WHAT THE FUCK? Have you even heard an entire Slayer album? Like really? The only notably repedative elements are the solos, which everyone is stuck between, either loving them or hating them. Double bass doesn't count since everyone from them to Nuclear Assualt uses it. If you said that Deicide's songs are very similar, I would agree, but Slayer? That is bullshit. Only Reign In Blood and Diabolus In Musica share those traits. But worst of all, you insult them as musicians. You say that Dave Lombardo and Paul Bostaph, who are POWERHOUSE drummers while in Slayer, and TECHNICAL drummers on the side, can't play drums? Tom can still scream bastardly loud for a 50-year old in post-neck surgery. Kerry King can't play guitar? His solos aren't loved by everyone, but Dave Ellefson and Dave Mustaine says he's best rhythm guitarist they have ever played with. And Jeff (RIP)? Let this speak for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahCZw_1....be&t=3m9s

And Jeff was and still is, whatever if you like it or not the greatest and most respected songwriter in Thrash.

Lastly, EVERYONE EXCEPT SLAYER went radio-friendly in the 90's; not just Metallica, but Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus and even Nuclear Assualt. Does that mean they don't belong in the Big Four (five if you count Exodus) either? Your logic is flawed, and you need improve your musical ears, A LOT.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
15-03-2014, 05:06 PM
(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  First of all, when Metallica play a setlist, you do know that 75 % of it comes form that exact period (1983-1988).
Yes, their fans want to hear thrash music so that is what they play mostly at their concerts.

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Also, Death Magnetic had thrash rhythms all over it, and even if it wasn't perfect, it was as much as we could hope for.
The commercial release of Death Magnetic was a disaster. They compressed the volume (DR) so much that it has substantial distortion throughout the album. Luckily premastered tracks were included in a computer game and thus the album was somewhat saved by a couple of tech savvy fans.
Musically to my ears the album is tired and drull. The Day that Never Comes is OK, the rest are mediocre to boring. (It's certainly not a thrash album)

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Secondly, WHAT THE FUCK? Have you even heard an entire Slayer album?
Yes I have. I do like the Seasons in the Abyss album
Particularly Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, Skeletons of Society
Their albums are much better than their live performances.
Their show on "The Big Four" was horrendous, indistinguishable noise.

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  But worst of all, you insult them as musicians.
Going by the live performance on "The big Four" DVD
Their playing was rubbish.
If you got someone who did't know how to play guitar to plug into that system and just frantically strum with distortion on full, you wouldn't have noticed a difference to what the band were actually doing.

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  You say that Dave Lombardo and Paul Bostaph, who are POWERHOUSE drummers while in Slayer, and TECHNICAL drummers on the side, can't play drums?
The drumming that stood out on that DVD was Anthrax's Charlie Benante. He is fantastic.

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Tom can still scream bastardly loud for a 50-year old in post-neck surgery.
If screaming is your thing then good for you.

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Kerry King can't play guitar? His solos aren't loved by everyone, but Dave Ellefson and Dave Mustaine says he's best rhythm guitarist they have ever played with.
On the DVD Slayer's rythym guitar was just noise. Did they actually play any chords?

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  And Jeff was and still is, whatever if you like it or not the greatest and most respected songwriter in Thrash.
Megadeth, Annihilator, Anthrax, Pantera, even Metallica (in their day) all wrote much better songs that Slayer

(15-03-2014 04:19 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Lastly, EVERYONE EXCEPT SLAYER went radio-friendly in the 90's; not just Metallica, but Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus and even Nuclear Assualt. Does that mean they don't belong in the Big Four (five if you count Exodus) either? Your logic is flawed, and you need improve your musical ears, A LOT.
Megadeth, Anthrax, Annihilator, Slayer, Sepultura, Soulfly still put out thrash albums. Metallica have not done so for over quarter of a century.
Metallica would be more suited alongside Black Sabbath and ACDC in a Metal/Hard Rock concert. But obviously have have a lot of popularity since the black album and the success of the "Enter Sandman" song, so getting them on the DVD made great commercial sense.

Anyway's we all have our various tastes. you like Slayer and Metallica, I like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Within Temptation, Megadeth and Annihilator.

I'm sure you could criticise my favourite bands as well.
15-03-2014, 06:31 PM
(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yes, their fans want to hear thrash music so that is what they play mostly at their concerts.

Which means leaving them out of the tour illogical

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The commercial release of Death Magnetic was a disaster. They compressed the volume (DR) so much that it has substantial distortion throughout the album. Luckily premastered tracks were included in a computer game and thus the album was somewhat saved by a couple of tech savvy fans.
Musically to my ears the album is tired and drull. The Day that Never Comes is OK, the rest are mediocre to boring. (It's certainly not a thrash album)

I agree that the production of DM could have been a lot better. But if the album sucked or not doesn't matter. It still has many thrash elements in it from start to end. It's a welcome return to formula.

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yes I have. I do like the Seasons in the Abyss album
Particularly Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, Skeletons of Society
Their albums are much better than their live performances.
Their show on "The Big Four" was horrendous, indistinguishable noise.

Then you haven't heard enough live preformances from them. It stands out most in the drum sections. Compare the studio version of Seasons in the Abyss to the live version by Dave Lombardo. Massive and improved differences

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Going by the live performance on "The big Four" DVD
Their playing was rubbish.
If you got someone who did't know how to play guitar to plug into that system and just frantically strum with distortion on full, you wouldn't have noticed a difference to what the band were actually doing.

It wasn't rubbish, I can hear it perfectly fine. But if you have any complaints, I can adress them anyways.

1: Dave's kit at the time sucked; Ddrum needs to improve their sound, but Dave's playing was soild, like ever.

2: A main issue with Slayer since 1986 is that Araya's bass is overdubbed by other instruments. But this is casual, and Slayer has never rarely pushed bass a lot anyways. But you can hear Tom singing just fine. Again, both Mustaine and Araya were both recovering from neck surgery. Any bad singing is therefore excused.

3: Kerry didn't miss a single note, and yes, as the owner of the DVD boxset I can hear it all just fine. Jeff didn't miss much either, but Jeff is always excused from sloppy playing because he was sick since 1994. His hands got stiff when playing fast. The only complaint I got for Jeff is his lack of tapping in his solos; Jeff really knew how to do that back in the day.

Whatever you feel is bad with the sound, blame the engineers. I don't blame Shawn Drover for having a horrible sounding drum kit, I blame ones who make his toms and bass noiseless. But don't blame the artists. (unless it's Lars, he really misses notes at times or doesn't bother to play properly)

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The drumming that stood out on that DVD was Anthrax's Charlie Benante. He is fantastic.

You're talking to me like I don't know who Charlie is. My very first musical post on this forum is Keep It In The Family. And I am a drummer myself, so yes, I know that he is fantastic and equal to Dave and Paul. But that doesn't make them any less talented with their work on the drums:

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If screaming is your thing then good for you.
It's considered singing too, so yeah, it's good for me.

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  On the DVD Slayer's rythym guitar was just noise. Did they actually play any chords?

Give it another listen and you can ask yourself about that.

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Megadeth, Annihilator, Anthrax, Pantera, even Metallica (in their day) all wrote much better songs that Slayer

"After the show, we were hanging backstage and Jeff walked back, we started bitching about the crazy cigarette show, and he invited me back to the dressing room to grab a beer. We sat down and chatted for a while, and then I went all SLAYER-nerd on him and started grilling him on what songs he wrote.

Me: 'Who wrote 'Angel Of Death'?'
Jeff: 'I did'
Me: 'Lyrics too?'
Jeff: 'Yep'
Me: 'Raining Blood'?'
Jeff: 'Me'
Me: 'Dead Skin Mask'?'
Me: 'South Of Heaven'?'
Jeff: 'Me'
Me: 'Black Magic'?'
Jeff: 'You know it'
Me: 'Hell Awaits'?'

- Robb Flynn

I got plenty more if you want them.

(15-03-2014 05:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Megadeth, Anthrax, Annihilator, Slayer, Sepultura, Soulfly still put out thrash albums. Metallica have not done so for over quarter of a century.
Metallica would be more suited alongside Black Sabbath and ACDC in a Metal/Hard Rock concert. But obviously have have a lot of popularity since the black album and the success of the "Enter Sandman" song, so getting them on the DVD made great commercial sense.

Anyway's we all have our various tastes. you like Slayer and Metallica, I like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Within Temptation, Megadeth and Annihilator.

I'm sure you could criticise my favourite bands as well.

You misunderstand. What I mean is that a good part of the old thrash bands tried to copy the Metallica formula, but when it went downhill and understood that only Metallica and to a certain degree Megadeth made it work, they went back to the old ways. And so did Metallica. DM wasn't full-blooded thrash, but that goes for Megadeth's albums too; if you wanna go more recent, Super Collider sure as fuck isn't fullblooded thrash.

I don't hate you, or the bands you listen to. Megadeth shares the top spot with Slayer in my list. I don't listen to Maiden that much because I prefer Judas Priest, and I prefer Nuclear Assualt over Annihilator.

In conclusion, I can hear the Big Four and pretty much any other pro-shot Slayer concert just fine, I think they can all play their respective instruments good, and I don't like it when people say that people who have been doing music for 30 years plus can't play music, no matter what kind it is.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
16-03-2014, 12:48 AM
(15-03-2014 06:31 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  In conclusion, I can hear the Big Four and pretty much any other pro-shot Slayer concert just fine, I think they can all play their respective instruments good, and I don't like it when people say that people who have been doing music for 30 years plus can't play music, no matter what kind it is.
These are just my honest thoughts when I listen to the DVD. I sit there forcing myself to listen, hoping that something will click and I will be, Oh yeah, they're not bad.
But I find it hard to appreciate. I keep thinking, is this really music? Are they actually playing a tune? Doesn't that song sound exactly like the last one? Shit, I could play that on my guitar (except for the solo) and I wouldn't even have to practice or anything.
These are my thoughts.

There are certainly studio versions of songs they do that I like.
Years back I also bought a double live album of theirs "Decade of Aggression".
I had high hopes. Listened to it once or twice and put it away and didn't listen again for years. Then I tried another go at listening to it. One spin and the album was put away again.
It kinda reminds me when Sepultura got their new singer, I was super excited to buy the new album. Listened to it once or twice and put it away in disgust. and again years later gave it another spin but still didn't like it.
Same thing for St Anger.
Death Magnetic is not awful, it's just not inspiring enough for me to take the time to listen to it.

But it all comes down to personal taste right?
Although I must say that there is a lot of music that I don't like however I can point to the guitaring and say even though I don't like the song or genre, hell that guitaring is damn impressive.
I don't get that feeling when watching Slayer's live performance.
16-03-2014, 02:02 PM
R'amen.

As has already been said, current mainstream rap is a tragically ironic mockery of its roots. The music that sprung from the ghettos and narrated the hardships encountered within them has turned into a music industry cash cow that glorifies the very problems which infest the poor, black neighborhoods. Pampered, suit-clad, millionaires bragging about how great it is to be rich, indiscriminately fuck bitches, do drugs, and commit violent acts against others. These are no longer representatives of the ghettos nor are they worthy of idolization nor should they be looked upon as role-models, but the hedonistic, narcissistic culture espoused by these "rappers" is quite noticeably ingrained within our society, and I frankly find it disgusting.

Sure, it may be fun for a few songs here or there, or when you go out clubbing, but I genuinely find it problematic that our society is so obsessed with a hyper commercialized genre which, for all intents in purposes, degraded into an unintentional self-parody that takes itself seriously. Braggadocio has got to be the stupidest form of boasting ever invented and is usually outgrown by the time one hits their late teens, but apparently this is not the case for these artists. Granted, there are a few rappers that seem to still legitimately view rap as an art form and infuse actual TALENT into their works, but they are few and far between.

Metal has its own problems; although it by far constitutes the majority of what I listen to. I have very little attachment to the varying metal-subcultures and generally find that the most hardcore of hardcore metal fans are obnoxious and incapable of tolerating any music other than a very select few artists from one subgenre. Like any genre, it has its sellouts and mainstream water-downs, but due to the sheer diversity and underground nature of the genre, it has some of greatest quantities of talented musicians as well.

But yeah, whatever floats your boat, and all that jazz. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
16-03-2014, 02:06 PM
(16-03-2014 02:02 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  R'amen.

As has already been said, current mainstream rap is a tragically ironic mockery of its roots. The music that sprung from the ghettos and narrated the hardships encountered within them has turned into a music industry cash cow that glorifies the very problems which infest the poor, black neighborhoods. Pampered, suit-clad, millionaires bragging about how great it is to be rich, indiscriminately fuck bitches, do drugs, and commit violent acts against others. These are no longer representatives of the ghettos nor are they worthy of idolization nor should they be looked upon as role-models, but the hedonistic, narcissistic culture espoused by these "rappers" is quite noticeably ingrained within our society, and I frankly find it disgusting.

Sure, it may be fun for a few songs here or there, or when you go out clubbing, but I genuinely find it problematic that our society is so obsessed with a hyper commercialized genre which, for all intents in purposes, degraded into an unintentional self-parody that takes itself seriously. Braggadocio has got to be the stupidest form of boasting ever invented and is usually outgrown by the time one hits their late teens, but apparently this is not the case for these artists. Granted, there are a few rappers that seem to still legitimately view rap as an art form and infuse actual TALENT into their works, but they are few and far between.

Metal has its own problems; although it by far constitutes the majority of what I listen to. I have very little attachment to the varying metal-subcultures and generally find that the most hardcore of hardcore metal fans are obnoxious and incapable of tolerating any music other than a very select few artists from one subgenre. Like any genre, it has its sellouts and mainstream water-downs, but due to the sheer diversity and underground nature of the genre, it has some of greatest quantities of talented musicians as well.

But yeah, whatever floats your boat, and all that jazz. Drinking Beverage

I also like Jazz.Big Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
16-03-2014, 03:34 PM
(14-03-2014 03:43 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I was even told I should like rap music because I was black.

That would be as logical as a group of black kids bullying a smarter black kid, because he didn't get bad grades like they think he's supposed to. Skin has nothing to do with it.