heard a new one today that I haven't heard before

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 05:58 AM
RE: heard a new one today that I haven't heard before
(10-10-2014 08:24 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  painting the ceiling of your porch skyblue will keep the demons away because it fools them into thinking its daylight.

a neighbor told me, them I realized the other neighbors porch is painted that way, and apparently there are many in the neighborhood like that.

i googled it and found it on the Sherwin Williams website too.

This is the type of thing that would make my neighbors get annoyed at me. I would immediately want to take this proposition apart and ask about any exceptions I could think of.

What if you paint the bottom part skyblue? What if you paint the bottom and top skyblue? What if you use baby blue instead of skyblue? What does any other bright color do? What if I just paint the door frame? What color would attract demons?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Just noticed the house across the street has blue porch ceiling same as the one next door. now Iam checking out every house in the hood, lol

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-10-2014, 08:10 AM
(10-10-2014 08:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Porches were painted blue in order to confuse the ghosts into believing the ceiling was a river or body of water, which they could not cross. If the haint believed the ceiling to be water, then it could not enter your home.

They'd think it is a river if the ceiling is painted blue? I could understand if the floor was painted blue but how nutty do you have to be to not only think that demons exist but that they enter your home upside down?

Do these same people tie bags of water to the porch to keep out the flies?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Never heard that one before, but I'll be looking at the porches more closely every time I watch something American now xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
12-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Beings that can travel between realms, manipulate your mind, time travel and predict the future... Defeated with a tin of Dulux?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
14-10-2014, 07:03 AM
(10-10-2014 08:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Porches were painted blue in order to confuse the ghosts into believing the ceiling was a river or body of water, which they could not cross. If the haint believed the ceiling to be water, then it could not enter your home. This is the reason that exterior blue porches are often painted the color “haint blue”.

Of course, they'll just come in the side window, or something stupid. That, and you wonder that, if at night, water doesn't look sky blue, how would a blue ceiling confuse them when it's not light outside?

I'm assuming these things cannot fly based on the superstitions surrounding them. Why not build an actual moat of actual water around your house? That would seem more effective.
14-10-2014, 07:19 AM
(12-10-2014 02:16 PM)Sam Wrote:  Beings that can travel between realms, manipulate your mind, time travel and predict the future... Defeated with a tin of Dulux?

Isn't it amazing just how easy it is to defeat the paranormal?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-10-2014, 07:19 AM
(14-10-2014 07:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Porches were painted blue in order to confuse the ghosts into believing the ceiling was a river or body of water, which they could not cross. If the haint believed the ceiling to be water, then it could not enter your home. This is the reason that exterior blue porches are often painted the color “haint blue”.

Of course, they'll just come in the side window, or something stupid. That, and you wonder that, if at night, water doesn't look sky blue, how would a blue ceiling confuse them when it's not light outside?

I'm assuming these things cannot fly based on the superstitions surrounding them. Why not build an actual moat of actual water around your house? That would seem more effective.

some of the things I read said that windowsills are also painted. And apparently this is a South Carolina thing predominantly, or it started here??? I lived in NC for 15 years and never heard of it. I am told that many of the homes in Charleston, SC are painted that way.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-10-2014, 08:51 AM
(14-10-2014 07:19 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 02:16 PM)Sam Wrote:  Beings that can travel between realms, manipulate your mind, time travel and predict the future... Defeated with a tin of Dulux?

Isn't it amazing just how easy it is to defeat the paranormal?

It's weird that lab coats render it non-existent. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post