heaven and hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2010, 05:59 AM
heaven and hell
I do not understand the significance of theist's threat of hell. If one dies, and the soul leaves the body to either go to heaven or hell, then how would the soul be tormented by fire? Souls don't have any skin, therefore no nerves, therefore no feeling of heat/pain/etc.
It just does not make one bit of sense. Can anyone illuminate me on this? I do not actually talk to religious people, mainly because I do not know any well enough to do so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 06:57 AM
RE: heaven and hell
Hell is a place with no god, god does'nt care about the place and you'll be there forever without god. That's what my parents taught to me.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-09-2010, 07:09 AM
[quote='Kikko' pid='8337' dateline='1284987430']
Hell is a place with no god, god does'nt care about the place and you'll be there forever without god. [/quote]

Sounds a lot like Earth, and it isn't so bad here in my opinion.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-09-2010, 08:53 AM

(20-09-2010 05:59 AM)catdance62 Wrote:  I do not understand the significance of theist's threat of hell. If one dies, and the soul leaves the body to either go to heaven or hell, then how would the soul be tormented by fire? Souls don't have any skin, therefore no nerves, therefore no feeling of heat/pain/etc.
It just does not make one bit of sense. Can anyone illuminate me on this? I do not actually talk to religious people, mainly because I do not know any well enough to do so.

Of course it doesn't make any sense. The bible was written by late Bronze Age authors (and earlier), who wouldn't be expected to understand how pain is perceived physiologically. It's all just a scary story to keep the followers in line.
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 10:21 AM
(20-09-2010 07:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(20-09-2010 06:57 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Hell is a place with no god, god does'nt care about the place and you'll be there forever without god.

Sounds a lot like Earth, and it isn't so bad here in my opinion.

This made me laugh. Sounds like earth to me as well.
I was taught that hell would be pain everywhere that you could feel, and that it wasn't like my head hurts or my foot hurts, it was abstract pain. I don't really know. Even when I was Catholic I never believed in hell, I thought it was a bunch of bullshit, and then believeing in heaven was only to comfort me, and i knew it the whole time.
20-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:I was taught that hell would be pain everywhere that you could feel, and that it wasn't like my head hurts or my foot hurts, it was abstract pain.

Meh. There are leather clubs in NYC charging $350 an hour for the same service.

Or so I've heard......

20-09-2010, 07:42 PM
350/hr??? I'm in the wrong business!!
Thanks for the input folks, glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that was fairly nonsensical.
21-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Heaven and Hell was an excellent band consisting of the late Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinnie Appice. Oh, you mean the mythical place dreamt up by religious leaders to scare the living crap out of people! Sorry.
21-09-2010, 05:26 AM
I saw Heaven and Hell in 2008!! So glad I got to see Dio before he passed. What a great entertainer!
21-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:350/hr??? I'm in the wrong business!!

It's never to late for a career change.