heeeey :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 12:26 PM
heeeey :D
Hello!

I'm an agnostic atheist--was raised secular by mi familia. Also a humanist.

Joining the forum bc lately I've been feeling really alone and questioning whether it is okay to be an atheist Confused Seriously the whole "mystery of faith" thing is starting to make me think I have to believe in god.....so hoping I can find supportive community members here!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Homo Sapien's post
16-10-2015, 03:07 PM
RE: heeeey :D
Welcome! Smile Stay in reality, it's much nicer Wink
16-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Welcome....

Which god? I like Zeus. Smile Thor is hot too.

No gods needed. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Welcome Smile

Don't worry. A lot of us atheists have a god, too. Just because he smells like parmesan, that doesn't mean He's less worthy of your unquestioning devotion and complete adoration.
Meat be with you, brother. RAmen

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
16-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Welcome.

If you feel the need for a god - keep in mind -- The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a benevolent god who loves pirates.... Ya gotta like that.

Plus --FSM heaven has a stripper factory and a beer volcano..... And FSM likes atheists...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-10-2015, 03:33 PM
The "Mystery of faith" is exactly why you SHOULDN'T believe in any deities. Although, if you decide to, and its thought through rationally, you will still be supported by some here. Others may criticize but this is YOUR decision.

Think about this though.....If faith drives the "why" in belief of a god then you should ask yourself this question:

Is there any situation that you can posit that can NOT be believed by faith? For example, You could say --little blue men live in the center of the sun. -- By faith we can believe that. In fact, by faith, we can believe anything that we say. Unicorns exist in the north pole. A green ham sandwich orbits around pluto. All of those statements can be believed in by faith. So...if you posited 100 situations and 99 of them could be disproved somehow, is it rational to say that faith is a reliable way to come to knowledge about something? Not really. Not at all.

You don't have to stop here...there are some 4300 + gods listed if you google it. If you're vetting these religions / gods based on faith, because let's just admit this is really all we have, then which one do you believe in? How to you come to the conclusion that one is the true god or several are or none? There's no way to do that. Faith becomes a moot point. It's unreliable and it's silly.

By the way, welcome! Smile Big Grin Cool

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
16-10-2015, 03:38 PM
[Image: Welcome-12-june_zpsc8b9a7e4.gif]
16-10-2015, 04:40 PM
(16-10-2015 12:26 PM)Homo Sapien Wrote:  Hello!

I'm an agnostic atheist--was raised secular by mi familia. Also a humanist.

Joining the forum bc lately I've been feeling really alone and questioning whether it is okay to be an atheist Confused Seriously the whole "mystery of faith" thing is starting to make me think I have to believe in god.....so hoping I can find supportive community members here!

Welcome to the light side. The dark side stole our cookies.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
16-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Quote:RE: heeeey Big Grin
The "Mystery of faith" is exactly why you SHOULDN'T believe in any deities. Although, if you decide to, and its thought through rationally, you will still be supported by some here. Others may criticize but this is YOUR decision.

Think about this though.....If faith drives the "why" in belief of a god then you should ask yourself this question:

Is there any situation that you can posit that can NOT be believed by faith? For example, You could say --little blue men live in the center of the sun. -- By faith we can believe that. In fact, by faith, we can believe anything that we say. Unicorns exist in the north pole. A green ham sandwich orbits around pluto. All of those statements can be believed in by faith. So...if you posited 100 situations and 99 of them could be disproved somehow, is it rational to say that faith is a reliable way to come to knowledge about something? Not really. Not at all.

You don't have to stop here...there are some 4300 + gods listed if you google it. If you're vetting these religions / gods based on faith, because let's just admit this is really all we have, then which one do you believe in? How to you come to the conclusion that one is the true god or several are or none? There's no way to do that. Faith becomes a moot point. It's unreliable and it's silly. "

Ah this makes sense for me now....I'm kind of scared that "mystery of faith" dragged me along for so long. Seriously.

What bothers me though, is how Christians say atheists misinterpret science. And when Christians say that they don't understand/get how nature can be all there is, and how evolution couldnt've happened without a higher power.......

AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Okay.

I'm done.

Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Homo Sapien's post
16-10-2015, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 05:40 PM by cactus.)
I'm not sure what you mean by "mystery of faith", but faith is definitely a mystery to me. I have no idea how so many people use a lack of evidence it as justification for a belief Huh

To me the word "faith" is synonymous with giving in to peer pressure, believing in something because you feel that's what's expected of you.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post