• 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 05:39 PM
RE: heeeey :D
I tink the New person means God of the gaps, but I'm not too sure

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2015, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 05:47 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(16-10-2015 04:54 PM)Homo Sapien Wrote:  
Quote:RE: heeeey Big Grin
The "Mystery of faith" is exactly why you SHOULDN'T believe in any deities. Although, if you decide to, and its thought through rationally, you will still be supported by some here. Others may criticize but this is YOUR decision.

Think about this though.....If faith drives the "why" in belief of a god then you should ask yourself this question:

Is there any situation that you can posit that can NOT be believed by faith? For example, You could say --little blue men live in the center of the sun. -- By faith we can believe that. In fact, by faith, we can believe anything that we say. Unicorns exist in the north pole. A green ham sandwich orbits around pluto. All of those statements can be believed in by faith. So...if you posited 100 situations and 99 of them could be disproved somehow, is it rational to say that faith is a reliable way to come to knowledge about something? Not really. Not at all.

You don't have to stop here...there are some 4300 + gods listed if you google it. If you're vetting these religions / gods based on faith, because let's just admit this is really all we have, then which one do you believe in? How to you come to the conclusion that one is the true god or several are or none? There's no way to do that. Faith becomes a moot point. It's unreliable and it's silly. "

Ah this makes sense for me now....I'm kind of scared that "mystery of faith" dragged me along for so long. Seriously.

What bothers me though, is how Christians say atheists misinterpret science. And when Christians say that they don't understand/get how nature can be all there is, and how evolution couldnt've happened without a higher power.......

AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Okay.

I'm done.

Thank you.

This area isn't for serious discussion, but why don't you start a thread?

(we've got an ask an atheist forum section, I'm sure plenty would be able to help. Smile we also have a science area or you can start a thread in atheism/theism.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Given that the phrase "the mystery of faith" (and a few other variants) is usually used by the religious to refer to things which seem like bullshit but are "actually" just too complicated for us mere mortals to understand except through faith (e.g. the Trinity concept, or miracles, or transubstantiation), I find it difficult to believe that an agnostic would say he finds the mystery a compelling reason to believe.

Do you mean that you can't explain away some of the mysterious woo-woo that they're peddling, and you feel like you can't be an agnostic/atheist if you don't have a counter for every magical concept thrown your way?

If so, I recommend reading The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, or any number of books/articles by guys like Michael Shermer.

Insulating the mind against fallacious thinking with the weapons of logic and critical-evaluation (which Sagan called the "baloney detector kit") is a good idea whether you're religious or not. It's what keeps you from agreeing with a traveling salesman that you really do need a three-tiered Rock Crusher.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Oops. Sorry, Mom.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-10-2015, 05:56 PM
(16-10-2015 05:47 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oops. Sorry, Mom.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Hello! Big Grin
17-10-2015, 04:20 AM
Mom...i'm sorry too. I was merely responding to the OP's point. I always forget this is ONLY the intro thread. However, to my own self-defense, I did say "welcome" in my opening statement. Tongue

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post