hello everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 09:46 PM by ohh EPiC FAiL.)
hello everyone
hey guys, new to the site and wanted to pop in and introduce myself. i found this site because of the podcast after just searching atheist and i love the show.

my name is Greg, i'm 25years old and atheist. i have a beatiful wife of 3 years who's agnostic atheist and we have an 18 month old son.

i grew up in a fundamenalist christian household, so i've been given the full dose of indoctrination. i'm currently a "closet atheist" aside from my wife and a few close friends and my therapist. i don't know if i will ever come out about it to my parents since i value family very much and i'm fairly certain i would lose my family if they found out.

i started questioning religion at a young age, probably about 9 or 10 years old, but didn't have the venues available to research and was taught not to question, so i was very fearful about my thoughts at times. i was baptised willingly at 13 because i thought that everyone had the doubts that i did and that the beliefs i was raised on would eventually make sense, but i was wrong.

i stopped attending church once i was 18 since at that point my parents would just have to deal with it if they wanted me around. i didn't want to attend before then but it was impossible to get out of going so i just did. at this point i still considered myself a christian since i was so sheltered i didn't know that there were even people that didn't believe. it wasn't until a while after i learned that atheism was a real thing that i finally started calling myself an atheist. i realized i was atheist when i read a letter that was written by my (former) church to a young guy that had come out of the closet as homosexual and i was absolutely disgusted. how can a church that preaches love spew so much hate?

since then i have learned alot about myself and my morals. for a while i still believed being gay wasn't something you were born with, and thought evolution wasn't real. i have come to my senses and feel a lot better about things. i have general anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder, and since i realized and learned how i felt about things my anxiety has gotten a lot better. i've been atheist for about 6 years now.

i look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Greg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ohh EPiC FAiL's post
10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
RE: hello everyone
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you like it here. Some odd characters looming around every corner but all in all a pretty decent bunch.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
yeahh that's to be expected on a forum like this. i'm on another atheist forum and it's pretty entertaining when the fundamentalists come in and try to convert us.
10-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey Greg, welcome and thanks for sharing your story. May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you and give you peace. Amen.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
10-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi ohh EPiC FAiL - It's good to know you have a decent support system with a wife, a few close friends, and a therapist to boot! We have a few Theists hanging around here, too - they're pretty cool. They are unique individuals with imaginary friends... like we haven't heard that one before. Wink
It's an interesting place that will keep you thinking if you let it.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
(10-06-2012 10:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey Greg, welcome and thanks for sharing your story. May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you and give you peace. Amen.

Shocking
HE'S TURNING... HE'S TURNING BACK!! SOMEONE GET THE HOSE!! Sadcryface2

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Erxomai! There is no god but Sly, and Sylvester is his prophet! You will be stoned (The kind with rocks) and beaten until your family cries out for mercy! There is no god but Sly, for surely, he is forgiving and merciful!

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
11-06-2012, 12:06 AM
haha thanks guys Smile
11-06-2012, 01:44 AM
(10-06-2012 11:14 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Erxomai! There is no god but Sly, and Sylvester is his prophet! You will be stoned (The kind with rocks) and beaten until your family cries out for mercy! There is no god but Sly, for surely, he is forgiving and merciful!

I can almost hear you saying this with a really bad imitation of Sylvester Stallone acting poorly as Rocky. It is almost enough to cause me to dig further into slyfasianism.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-06-2012, 01:59 AM
(10-06-2012 10:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey Greg, welcome and thanks for sharing your story. May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you and give you peace. Amen.
Not often I literally LOL. Cheers Erx. Needed that cos I have had a miserable day (20 hours from Singapore to Canberra)
Hi there o'EF (if I may abbreviate you). Good to hear your story. Welcome.
Ignore Erx... he's m..m...m....ma.... MAD!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post