hello from Italy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 04:18 PM
hello from Italy
Hi from Italy everyone

I came to this site after listening to a bunch of TTA radio shows on YouTube. First, a disclaimer: I am not an atheist. I was, however, a born again Christian for around 20 years. I think my path was more or less the same as Seth Andrews and thousands of other people: when I examined the evidence carefully and closely I was appalled, revolted and shocked at what I found. However my emotional investment in Christianity (and, indeed, my financial investment and an incredible amount of time investment) was so deep that it took a more than a couple of years of reflection and prayer before I was willing to let go. I say 'prayer' because I spent a lot of time begging God to reveal himself ... all I got was tumble weeds in my mind ... I imagine any ex-religious person would identify with that instinctive panic.

I was a worship leader for some years and also led an evangelism team on 'out-reach'. I'm still working with the feelings and now and then I get really pissed-off at how I allowed myself to be so ripped-off by people who told me they loved me and had my best interests at heart. God what bullshit we allow ourselves to go through.

I have read a lot of books (Amazon benefited a lot from my personal journey) and watched a lot of stuff on the Tube. I 'feel' there is a 'something' behind 'everything', but I don't feel I need to explain that to myself. Maybe, in the end, it's just an echo of a memory of an illusion. Who knows but for me it's not important. Working through my Christians demons (and they are legion) is what's important for me at the moment.

Nice to find this community. I have a lot of questions and I like the rigour that many atheists apply to the issues.

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: hello from Italy
Welcome Tony,
It seems you've found the right place to land. Come on in and make yourself at home. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey, nice to have you around.

You'll find some kinship here... few other ex-pastors hanging around this place.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey Tony. I used to see you on TV a lot. You lost that gig huh ? I really liked Italy. Blush

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Haha good one ... but you'd have to ask my fidanzata if she thinks I'm 'tony the tiger' Smile

Italy ... the government is a mad-house but I love everything else!
10-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I heard on the BBC last night that your "dear leader" Silvio Berlescone, (or however you spell it), is going to run again ? Haha.
Well at least you have Tuscany, Florence, and all those great museums. And of course you can visit Ze Pewp any time you like. Weeping

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Benvenuto, Tony!
I hope you find your truth and inner peace.

I used to struggle with losing my faith, too and would pray to god not to let me lose it. Have also grown up thinking that atheist is an ugly, horrible word. Am glad to say that I've never felt freer or happier than after I finally admitted to myself I didn't believe in any deity. The idea that it's all random was probably the most liberating and, strangely enough, comforting experience in my life. (I have also managed to claim the word 'atheist' back from the pit of filth it was rotting in for a long period of my life)

(Also, if I may add, I love so many things about your country and cultures and some of the people most dearest to me are Italians)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes of course Silvio wants to return because this extends immunity from prosecution for various court cases - there's a list on wikipedia. Berlusconi owns a football club and a sizeable part of the news media, so it's not difficult for him to get his message across. When he was last in power it felt as though we were living under semi-fascism. I paid a visit to Mussolini's birth place not so long ago, now that is a very and creepy strange town - Predappio. I live in an area which has been under communism control for a lot of years so Berlu (nor the mafia) stand much chance of gaining power locally.

Yes if you want to see a good example of mass hysteria go to St Peter's Square any Sunday morning. It's quite revealing.
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
(10-12-2012 04:42 PM)anotherother Wrote:  Yes of course Silvio wants to return because this extends immunity from prosecution for various court cases - there's a list on wikipedia. Berlusconi owns a football club and a sizeable part of the news media, so it's not difficult for him to get his message across. When he was last in power it felt as though we were living under semi-fascism. I paid a visit to Mussolini's birth place not so long ago, now that is a very and creepy strange town - Predappio. I live in an area which has been under communism control for a lot of years so Berlu (nor the mafia) stand much chance of gaining power locally.

Yes if you want to see a good example of mass hysteria go to St Peter's Square any Sunday morning. It's quite revealing.
I'd rather go drinking on the Via Flaminia. Tongue I did cause a "ruckus" in our Vatican tour when I kept asking "inconvenient" questions. I have to come back tho. There's a little tailor shop near the Vatican where they buy their red "get ups", (the cardinals) ... I need a new pair of red socks.

10-12-2012, 04:47 PM
(10-12-2012 04:38 PM)Vera Wrote:  Benvenuto, Tony!
I hope you find your truth and inner peace.

I used to struggle with losing my faith, too and would pray to god not to let me lose it. Have also grown up thinking that atheist is an ugly, horrible word. Am glad to say that I've never felt freer or happier than after I finally admitted to myself I didn't believe in any deity. The idea that it's all random was probably the most liberating and, strangely enough, comforting experience in my life. (I have also managed to claim the word 'atheist' back from the pit of filth it was rotting in for a long period of my life)

(Also, if I may add, I love so many things about your country and cultures and some of the people most dearest to me are Italians)
Grazie Vera, ma di dove sei ? Portugal ?

Infatto sono Inglese but I have been living here a while and a part of me feels Italian now. Leaving England was wrapped-up with losing my faith, I mean it shook my life so much that I got rid of everything I owned except just enough to fit into a wardrobe, and I left everything behind - just like Jesus' disciples Wink .
[+] 1 user Likes anotherother's post