helping my kids to think critically about religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2017, 05:25 PM
RE: helping my kids to think critically about religion
There are a number of books on critical thinking that you might enjoy, but most of those are a bit much for an 11 year old. There are a few things that you can do that shouldn't tread on your wife's toes:

- Use a Socratic teaching method. If you respond to his questions with questions then you will cause him to question. That's the whole point of the Socratic method and the questioning typically extends well beyond the immediate subject matter.

- Introduce him to good fiction. Knowing what magical thinking looks like will make it easier for him to spot it elsewhere in his life.

- Get him a big book of dinosaurs. Not necessarily dinosaurs, that's just one of the more common subjects, but something that will help develop his sense of wonder. You'll know what he's into. It's motivation for him to ask questions, lots of them and in agonizing depth. Woe be unto the priest foolish enough to tell him that they were never real. Makes a good Christmas prezzie too.

I hope that this helps.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2017, 05:27 PM
You should tell him what you think about it and why. That you don't see the point of it all. Worst case scenario, let him learn about it the same way he would about ancient Greek mythologies and any other interesting beliefs. That will give him a perspective on the mediocrity of his religion that he otherwise might lack if he is indoctrinated into one particular faith.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
11-12-2017, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 07:10 PM by Catharina de Aragon.)
/meant for removal/

"Just kill them all. The Lord will sort them out" -Cesáreo de Heisterbach-
15-02-2018, 02:02 AM
I'm new here and in forums as a whole. Looked for this kind of good discussions for a long time.
I would try to show him how I distinguish false and true. Teaching the process of science and relying on evidence to decide what is true would be the best in the long run. Tell him, for example, how everyone believed that the earth is the center of the universe, and how observation disproved it (and how long it took the church to accept it). As said here previously, telling about Greek mythology and/or other religions as would help too.
15-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Bottom line is that I wouldn't worry about him.
Worst case scenario he goes through exactly what you did.
And it probably has less of a chance of taking in this day and age.
And Lutheran. It's not like he's being raised Pentecostal.
What's the worse that could happen?
He's not gonna start speaking in tongues and playing with snakes.

I wouldn't fight the battle in any formal way.
Just when the subject comes up be honest.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]