holiday greetings and other reasons I should shave my ears off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 12:03 PM
RE: holiday greetings and other reasons I should shave my ears off
I usually diffuse any potential debate/offense by resorting to "Fa la la" or "Fa la la to you, too."

I do stop short of "Oh yeah? Well, fa la la THIS, buddy!"

However, I cannot be held responsible for my responses when that idiotic Little Drummer Boy is playing over the loudspeakers in any public venue.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
14-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Last year, I was in line at Macy's buying something...can't recall what. The line was long with an older man behind me, buying some piece of crap. when my stuff was wrapped up, I told the person who rang me up, "happy holidays." with a smile.

The older man behind me who I guess watches Bill O'Reilly said rather loudly "Merry Christmas," in that condescending way that seems more like making a point than offering a cheerful platitude.

I turned to him and said, "since tonight is the 3rd night of Hanukkah, Happy Hanukkah."

He actually blushed, probably assuming I'm jewish. The point is there is MORE than just ONE holiday during that period. Saying Merry Christmas makes an assumption while Happy Holiday's doesn't.

Personally I don't give a shit one way or another. If someone says Merry Christmas in a nice way I'll return it -- it means really nothing to me.

But if you say it like an asshole...ya, I get annoyed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Like Moms said, I don't care one way or another.
I'll say Merry Christmas if that's what someone first greets me with, unless (if I'm feeling dickish)I have a reason to believe that they would get bent out of shape if I said Happy Holidays.
Then it turns into a sport. Big Grin
14-10-2014, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 12:32 PM by RobbyPants.)
(14-10-2014 12:03 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I usually diffuse any potential debate/offense by resorting to "Fa la la" or "Fa la la to you, too."

I do stop short of "Oh yeah? Well, fa la la THIS, buddy!"

However, I cannot be held responsible for my responses when that idiotic Little Drummer Boy is playing over the loudspeakers in any public venue.

Pa ra pa pa pum to you, too!

(14-10-2014 12:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The point is there is MORE than just ONE holiday during that period. Saying Merry Christmas makes an assumption while Happy Holiday's doesn't.

Personally I don't give a shit one way or another. If someone says Merry Christmas in a nice way I'll return it -- it means really nothing to me.

But if you say it like an asshole...ya, I get annoyed.

When I was growing up, as a Christian, the phrase "Happy Holidays" never offended me. I'd assumed it was to include Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day, all of which I celebrated. It wasn't until much later that I realized people actually got upset about this.

And even now as an atheist, I don't get offended by "Merry Christmas". I still celebrate Christmas (as more of a family thing than a religious thing, but that's how it always was, for me), but even if I didn't, I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't be upset if someone Jewish said "Happy Hanukkah" to me. I don't really consider any of that offensive proselytizing.

It might be a different story if the holiday tradition were for Christians to shout "repent or burn, heretic!".
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
14-10-2014, 01:23 PM
(14-10-2014 12:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It might be a different story if the holiday tradition were for Christians to shout "repent or burn, heretic!".

When they pull the "you should be saying Merry Christmas" I think they actually are saying "repent or burn, heretic!". It's right up there with "Well, bless your heart" for passive-aggressive bullshit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-10-2014, 01:49 PM
(14-10-2014 01:23 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 12:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It might be a different story if the holiday tradition were for Christians to shout "repent or burn, heretic!".

When they pull the "you should be saying Merry Christmas" I think they actually are saying "repent or burn, heretic!". It's right up there with "Well, bless your heart" for passive-aggressive bullshit.

I always took it as more of a revanchist shriek of "BWAAA!!! I want everything to be the way I want it to be and the way I've always imagined it was forever!". That being said, this might be the extension of what you just said.
14-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Anyone offended by Happy Holidays apparently prefers to have miserable holidays. Such small potatoes. They should take their complaints to families that can't afford presents (cuz you know it's always the Christians that are offended) so they can see what people who are really offended looks like. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
14-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Happy Holidays works great in my book. That gets me from Halloween through New Year's Day without having to change anything.

Merry Christmas doesn't upset me - Christmas to me is Santa time for the kids. Some people thrive on being offended. I'll oblige them with a joyous Happy Holidays!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post