how can we best explain our existence ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM

what do you think is the cause of the existence of our universe ?

I think there are 3 options.

1. The univerese exists eternally, in one form, or the other, had no beginning.

2. The universe had a beginning, with the Big Bang, but without a cause.

3. The universe had a beginning, and therefore a cause.

If there are other options, which do not fit in one of these three categories, please name them.

If you agree, there exist basically only the above options, please explain, which option you think is most plausible, and why.
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
RE: how can we best explain our existence ?
I would modify number two so that it says "The universe had a beginning, but no cause", and eliminate the "Big Bang" phrase. We can't know if the Big Bang was the true beginning of the universe or not.

Anyway, I agree with the modified version of number two. Before the universe, there was no time, as the universe consists of the space-time continuum and everything it contains. Before space-time is before time, and without time we can't have cause-effect relationships. Without causality, there cannot be a cause for the universe.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Sadly, Unbeliever is right, it's not clear-cut. I want to say number one, since before the Big Bang, there was a universe, just drastically different than the one we live in now. Really, I think this can fit into either one or two. And then some say the cause of the Big Bang was a quantum action, in which cause three may also be thrown into the mix. Again, confusing, and it's hard to draw clear lines like that. Especially so since it happened so long ago, with little to go on. And nothing for prior to the Big Bang.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
To answer the question, "how can we best explain our existence?".....we cannot. The best way to explain something is with the facts, and ultimately, we just don't have them. We have many ideas and hypothesis, but the truth is, we don't yet know how, why, or when life came into existence. We may never know.

And that, my friends, is precisely why I love being an atheist. I can accept not knowing, and that acceptance allows me to ever persue knowledge, with an un-biased mind.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-06-2010, 05:54 PM
You all God created everything by magic duh!! LOL. Truth be told there are plenty of theories with evidence. I hope scientist find the answer in our life time, but that may not happen. The big bang has plenty of evidence with the fact that the universe keeps getting bigger and with red shifts and all, but as before the big bang there is no clear cut answer.
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM

I think we may have to come to terms with the fact that there just may be some things that science cannot explain (not saying that religion can). After all, what is the purpose of the existence of the universe? It is like the little child who keeps asking "why?" until you have nothing left to say because at the very root of the universe, there is no why. Science can explain everything that happened after the Big Bang, but it may never be able to explain what caused the Big Band or what happened before it.

Perhaps the Big Bang just happened. After all, if God created the universe, who created God? Religion reaches the same conclusion- the universe just happened. If it didn't happen, we wouldn't be here to inquire about it.

And thus the conclusion must be drawn that nothing happened before the Big Bang (not just because time didn't exist; there is a new theory in physics that time does not exist at all, even today).
07-06-2010, 05:01 AM

Not to sound like a complete pedantic jerk or anything, but why do we need to assign 'purpose' to the universe? Isn't this the same thinking as the religious folks, where 'god' created the universe for us?

The only thing I would assign purpose to is our own individual selves. The purpose we find in our own lives, the ambitions we have in this short life we will all live (some shorter, some longer). I will no more assign a 'purpose' to the universe as I would assign 'purpose' to the existence of a tree. It just is.

Quote:And thus the conclusion must be drawn that nothing happened before the Big Bang (not just because time didn't exist; there is a new theory in physics that time does not exist at all, even today).

I remember a communications class I took a few years ago. One of the exercises was to explain to another student (who played the role of an alien species) the concept of time. I don't recall my exact answer; however, it was something along the lines of 'time is a human construct, designed to 'frame' day/night cycles on planet Earth. It consists of milliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years.'

Rudimentary explanation, but seemed to impress the student I was working with. Tongue
07-06-2010, 05:55 AM
(07-06-2010 05:01 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Not to sound like a complete pedantic jerk or anything, but why do we need to assign 'purpose' to the universe? Isn't this the same thinking as the religious folks, where 'god' created the universe for us?

I don't see anyone doing that. What are you talking about?

TruthAddict Wrote:And thus the conclusion must be drawn that nothing happened before the Big Bang (not just because time didn't exist; there is a new theory in physics that time does not exist at all, even today).

Well, it's going to have a hard time being proven, seeing as time does very much exist. Tongue

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
07-06-2010, 07:27 AM

(07-06-2010 05:01 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Not to sound like a complete pedantic jerk or anything, but why do we need to assign 'purpose' to the universe? Isn't this the same thinking as the religious folks, where 'god' created the universe for us?

(07-06-2010 05:55 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I don't see anyone doing that. What are you talking about?

My error...sorry. I clicked 'Post Reply' then re-read what TruthAddict stated, and only then understood the context of it. Must be my old age setting in. Tongue

TruthAddict Wrote:After all, what is the purpose of the existence of the universe?
07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
No problem. Tongue