how do i come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
how do i come out as an atheist?
I am a relatively new atheist and i am not sure how to "come out of the closet" about my atheisim! please help![/font]

"A Rose by any other name, would smell as sweet"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: how do i come out as an atheist?
Why would you want to do that?
By the way...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
(06-11-2013 04:08 PM)carltheatheist Wrote:  I am a relatively new atheist and i am not sure how to "come out of the closet" about my atheisim! please help![/font]

Come out how you want to come out. If you feel comfortable coming out/feel no danger in doing so, then do so how and when you please.

My way of coming out was just saying how I felt and pointing a middle finger at anyone who tried to drown me because of it.
06-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it depends who you're "coming out" to and why, and when.

For example, I used to have relatives invite me to church with them. I'd decline and if they asked why not, I'd mention that I'm an atheist. Likewise if a person would just ask me about it. Sometimes my mom gives me crap if I "take the lord's name in vain" and have to remind her that I don't subscribe to the rules of xianity because I'm not a xian, therefore, I find nothing wrong with it. I never bothered to bring it up to some people, like my grandparents, who I thought might have a fit about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
For me, as a former believer, you could say I came out to myself first. Education helped me come out to myself. I let other people know I'm an atheist when the opportunity presents itself. I didn’t find it necessary to make a grand proclamation (I couldn’t care less what religion anyone is, why should they care that I am an atheist?) but I find I now do not “bite my tongue” to spare someone’s feelings either. If they want to open the conversation about the wonderful things god is responsible for, I have the right to counter those opinions.

I think you “come out” as an atheist on your own terms.

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
[+] 1 user Likes januarymick's post
06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Tell us more about your situation first. If you live with religious people it might not be ideal to fake it and avoid coming out.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
(06-11-2013 06:02 PM)januarymick Wrote:  For me, as a former believer, you could say I came out to myself first. Education helped me come out to myself.

Great reply mick. I would echo those statements.

My coming out came it small bursts here and there. I never went out of my way to proclaim my atheism, but would put it forth when presented the opportunity.

When people would tell me something to the degree of "well thank gawd you got the job! He always provides."
I would reply with, "No, thank my education, resume, and personality that I got the job. God had nothing to do with it."

So not really a strong proclamation of atheism, but the seeds had been planted.

And sometimes when people tell me they are headed to church, I tell them to have fun, I'll be busy hunting for unicorns. Huh
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Change your religion status on Facebook. Then it's official.

Tongue
06-11-2013, 09:06 PM
(06-11-2013 07:55 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  When people would tell me something to the degree of "well thank gawd you got the job! He always provides."
I would reply with, "No, thank my education, resume, and personality that I got the job. God had nothing to do with it."

This. My mom has breast cancer around '06, she's ok now, and every time people would suggest Gawd was responsible for removing the cancer, I reminded them about the role of her surgeons.

It also blew my mind when other college students would attribute passing tests to gawd, like their own studying had nothing to do with it. =\

Other than that, if anyone ever asks me what church I go to, I reply, "I don't."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 09:47 PM
thanks for all of the feedback it really helped
[+] 1 user Likes carltheatheist's post