how has tge bible evolved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 06:20 AM
RE: how has tge bible evolved?
(13-05-2015 06:04 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I'm wanting to compare things that we once thought to be truth and socially acceptable in the bible that we won't do today. Make sense ?

Yup. And that's what everyone has been providing.

But you might have to define "we". It's still socially acceptable in some countries to consider women to be 'property'.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Slavery, Rape, Murder, Sacrifices.

Most people now would find these unacceptable but back then and in the Bible these acts were condoned and sometimes even celebrated.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Thank u
13-05-2015, 06:34 AM
Well right from the genesis, no pun intended, I can think of the following:

1.) Creation of the world and universe
2.) Creation of everything in the world, including us primates
3.) Human and animal sacrifice
4.) How languages were formed
5.) How god was formed (in our minds)
6.) Major genocide (although this one we still can't seem to get right and according to Dr. James Dobson we have now been equivocated to The Nazi regimes because we have killed more than 55 million babies in America through abortion. Insert sarcasm here)
7.) Slavery
8.) Misogyny
9.) Almost all of the 600+ insanely ridiculous mosaic laws / Torah proclaimed by the Talmud
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
13-05-2015, 06:52 AM
(13-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  ...
9.) Almost all of the 600+ insanely ridiculous mosaic laws / Torah proclaimed by the Talmud

Come, come, now. Don't try to tell me that it's now socially acceptable to boil a baby goat in its mother's milk!?!

I mean, who does that?

Ohmy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-05-2015, 07:07 AM
(13-05-2015 06:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Come, come, now. Don't try to tell me that it's now socially acceptable to boil a baby goat in its mother's milk!?!

I mean, who does that?

Ohmy

LOL...that's the only one I still follow. Evil_monster
No Oh dear, I'm afraid i've just implicated myself. It's a good thing the state I live in hasn't abolished capital punishment. I'll be next with a comment like that. Angel
13-05-2015, 07:19 AM
(13-05-2015 06:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Come, come, now. Don't try to tell me that it's now socially acceptable to boil a baby goat in its mother's milk!?!

I mean, who does that?

Ohmy

Is it OK if I boil it in the milk of another goat that is not the mother?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-05-2015, 07:23 AM
(13-05-2015 06:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  ...

Come, come, now. Don't try to tell me that it's now socially acceptable to boil a baby goat in its mother's milk!?!

I mean, who does that?

Ohmy

... does it still count as the mother's milk if you render it into a smoky, cheesy, creamy sauce first?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
13-05-2015, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2015 07:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Well right from the genesis, no pun intended, I can think of the following:

1.) Creation of the world and universe
2.) Creation of everything in the world, including us primates
3.) Human and animal sacrifice
4.) How languages were formed
5.) How god was formed (in our minds)
6.) Major genocide (although this one we still can't seem to get right and according to Dr. James Dobson we have now been equivocated to The Nazi regimes because we have killed more than 55 million babies in America through abortion. Insert sarcasm here)
7.) Slavery
8.) Misogyny

Actually Genesis says nothing about the "universe". It's presumed. Genesis starts out with the deity moving over the waters of the "deep" (which were also not "created") and which came straight from the Babylonian creation myths. Humans didn't even know the universe was larger than the MIlky Way galaxy until the 20th Century, and there's nothing in ANY "holy text" that indicates they had any clue about it's real size.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2015, 07:42 AM
(13-05-2015 07:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually Genesis says nothing about the "universe". It's presumed. Genesis starts out with the deity moving over the waters of the "deep" (which were also not "created")which came straight from the Babylonian creation myths. Humans didn't even know the universe was larger than the MIlky Way galaxy until the 20th Century, and there's nothing in ANY "holy text" that indicates they had any clue about it's real size.

Your correction is legitimate. I should have used the word "heavens" instead of universe, so I stand corrected (or sit corrected if I want to be entirely truthful.) However, our view of everything "out there" has evolved from "earth and heavens" to the universe, so my point still stands.