how has tge bible evolved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2015 08:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: how has the bible evolved?
It's an interesting point, as we know that Allah, originally the Arabic moon-god named "Sin" and his 3 divine daughters, seen as stars in the heavens, (who BTW was NOT an "Abrahamic god" therefore Islam is not an "Abrahamic religion"), were seen in their respective (relative) positions due to what they saw as their "sizes", and the moon appeared much larger than tiny "twinkling" stars. But the ancient Near East view of what's "out there" (as it was "capped" by the "firmament") was nothing even remotely similar to ours. Even as late as the 2nd-3rd Century of the CE, one of the justifications to cut down the number of circulating gospels to four, was that "the Earth stands on 4 pillars, and there are 4 winds".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: how has tge bible evolved?
(13-05-2015 07:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Well right from the genesis, no pun intended, I can think of the following:

1.) Creation of the world and universe
2.) Creation of everything in the world, including us primates
3.) Human and animal sacrifice
4.) How languages were formed
5.) How god was formed (in our minds)
6.) Major genocide (although this one we still can't seem to get right and according to Dr. James Dobson we have now been equivocated to The Nazi regimes because we have killed more than 55 million babies in America through abortion. Insert sarcasm here)
7.) Slavery
8.) Misogyny
9.) Almost all of the 600+ insanely ridiculous mosaic laws / Torah proclaimed by the Talmud

Actually Genesis says nothing about the "universe". It's presumed. Genesis starts out with the deity moving over the waters of the "deep" (which were also not "created") and which came straight from the Babylonian creation myths. Humans didn't even know the universe was larger than the MIlky Way galaxy until the 20th Century, and there's nothing in ANY "holy text" that indicates they had any clue about it's real size.

I wish Christians would own up to the absurd cosmology in Genesis, but they immediately dismiss the firmament for what it was actually envisioned by the writers of the myth.

Sumeria cosmological description:

[Image: sumerian.jpg]

Hebrew cosmological description:

[Image: cosmos+heb+prinsky.GIF]

I guess the cognitive dissonance hurts their brains. Dodgy

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-05-2015, 08:34 AM
(13-05-2015 08:30 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 07:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually Genesis says nothing about the "universe". It's presumed. Genesis starts out with the deity moving over the waters of the "deep" (which were also not "created") and which came straight from the Babylonian creation myths. Humans didn't even know the universe was larger than the MIlky Way galaxy until the 20th Century, and there's nothing in ANY "holy text" that indicates they had any clue about it's real size.

I wish Christians would own up to the absurd cosmology in Genesis, but they immediately dismiss the firmament for what it was actually envisioned by the writers of the myth.

You mean God doesn't have storehouses of snow and hail? No

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-05-2015, 08:37 AM
(13-05-2015 08:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 08:30 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I wish Christians would own up to the absurd cosmology in Genesis, but they immediately dismiss the firmament for what it was actually envisioned by the writers of the myth.

He orders those off Amazon.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
13-05-2015, 08:38 AM
(13-05-2015 08:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 08:30 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I wish Christians would own up to the absurd cosmology in Genesis, but they immediately dismiss the firmament for what it was actually envisioned by the writers of the myth.

Does it count if he's got houses full of people who get snowed into hailing him?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
14-05-2015, 09:33 PM
You can read it in English.
[+] 2 users Like Dunkleweizen's post
15-05-2015, 02:40 AM
(14-05-2015 09:33 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  You can read it in English.

And...you are allowed to read it in English
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2015, 03:36 AM
I have read it thank you. I was comparing the things that was accepted then and its not now. Along with things that we now know to explain certian things. One example would be how our bodies work and reacts to certain things. Like we now know the female body and how it works. Then it was accepted that women were unclean during their periods but today its no big deal and most people don't know if a woman is on her period or not.
15-05-2015, 09:01 AM
(13-05-2015 06:04 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I'm wanting to compare things that we once thought to be truth and socially acceptable in the bible that we won't do today. Make sense ?

So you are talking about society evolving, not the Bible evolving. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user