"...how light manipulates matter on the atomic scale has never been possible"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...131623.htm

Quote:ScienceDaily (Aug. 29, 2012) — Light changes matter in ways that shape our world. Photons trigger changes in proteins in the eye to enable vision; sunlight splits water into hydrogen and oxygen and creates chemicals through photosynthesis; light causes electrons to flow in the semiconductors that make up solar cells; and new devices for consumers, industry, and medicine operate with photons instead of electrons. But directly measuring how light manipulates matter on the atomic scale has never been possible, until now

and some folk have no idea this is even happening within the sciences.

Quote:The modified x-rays have a frequency (or energy) equal to the sum of the frequencies of both the original x‑ray pulse and the overlapping optical pulse. The change to a slightly higher energy provides a distinct signature, which distinguishes wave-mixing from conventional x‑ray diffraction.

"Conventional diffraction does not provide direct information on how the valence electrons respond to light, nor on the electric fields that arise in a material because of this response," says Glover. "But with x-ray and optical wave mixing, the energy-modified x-rays selectively probe a material's optically responsive valence charge."

it's so technical...

"the process is called "sum frequency generation."

next they will crack pot shit like , "wavelengths" but i think it was the word salad of 'wave-mixing' that they use.

how can people of science be doing this and not be known on this forum?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: "...how light manipulates matter on the atomic scale has never been possible"
*insert something random non-relating to the OP here*

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
RE: "...how light manipulates matter on the atomic scale has never been possible"
(02-09-2012 09:54 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...131623.htm

Quote:ScienceDaily (Aug. 29, 2012) — Light changes matter in ways that shape our world. Photons trigger changes in proteins in the eye to enable vision; sunlight splits water into hydrogen and oxygen and creates chemicals through photosynthesis; light causes electrons to flow in the semiconductors that make up solar cells; and new devices for consumers, industry, and medicine operate with photons instead of electrons. But directly measuring how light manipulates matter on the atomic scale has never been possible, until now

Quote:The modified x-rays have a frequency (or energy) equal to the sum of the frequencies of both the original x‑ray pulse and the overlapping optical pulse. The change to a slightly higher energy provides a distinct signature, which distinguishes wave-mixing from conventional x‑ray diffraction.

"Conventional diffraction does not provide direct information on how the valence electrons respond to light, nor on the electric fields that arise in a material because of this response," says Glover. "But with x-ray and optical wave mixing, the energy-modified x-rays selectively probe a material's optically responsive valence charge."

it's so technical...

next they will crack pot shit like , "wavelengths" but i think it was the word salad of 'wave-mixing' that they use.

What's your issue with what they are doing here? As the article points out, X-rays are not useful for looking at the outer valence electrons used in chemical bonding. So the technique being used employs using much lower energy optical lasers to perturb the valence electrons, and then compare the perturbed versus unperturbed results. From that we can infer information about the valence electrons.

This technique has been around for a while hen used with Infrared lasers as referred to in the article :

Quote:X-ray and optical wave-mixing is an x-ray diffraction technique similar to that long used in solving the structures of proteins and other biological molecules in crystalline form.

What's new here is its application with X-ray lasers, because as the article points out, X-ray lasers with enough power to employ this technique have not been available until recently:

Quote:But sum frequency generation requires intense x-ray sources unavailable until recently."

This is interesting, and an important development in the tools we have to investigate chemical bonds. But it's not anything earth-shattering or paradigm shifting as you seem to imply.
03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
(02-09-2012 01:15 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 09:54 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...131623.htm

it's so technical...

What's your issue with what they are doing here? As the article points out, X-rays are not useful for looking at the outer valence electrons used in chemical bonding. So the technique being used employs using much lower energy optical lasers to perturb the valence electrons, and then compare the perturbed versus unperturbed results. From that we can infer information about the valence electrons.
. I have no issue as I comprehend the wavelengths affect via the fields.

Do you?
Quote:This technique has been around for a while hen used with Infrared lasers as referred to in the article :

"X-ray and optical wave-mixing is an x-ray diffraction technique similar to that long used in solving the structures of proteins and other biological molecules in crystalline form."
.in electronic theory, the wavelength/frequency of the energy state is important

In biology few comprehend the importance of the energy itself.

Quote:What's new here is its application with X-ray lasers, because as the article points out, X-ray lasers with enough power to employ this technique have not been available until recently:
. Perhaps to see the effects, but the effects of combining wavelengths is basic

Quote:"But sum frequency generation requires intense x-ray sources unavailable until recently."

This is interesting, and an important development in the tools we have to investigate chemical bonds. But it's not anything earth-shattering or paradigm shifting as you seem to imply.

And there it is. The math and comprehension of combining wavelengths may be NEW to you and some in many fields, but in many disciplines, it is basic common sense.

For example: Human a beings ain't living on electrical impulses a like an electronic circuit but idiots just can't accept that fact.
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
So what does everyone think of cheese?
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
04-09-2012, 01:26 AM
(04-09-2012 01:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So what does everyone think of cheese?

I like a good peppered brie. Also every now and then I like some gouda and cabernet sauvignon. Tasty stuff. Is it odd that I enjoy the taste of dubliner and scotch? A highland, preferably. 15 yr, single malt, or go home.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
04-09-2012, 02:37 AM
(04-09-2012 01:26 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 01:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So what does everyone think of cheese?

I like a good peppered brie. Also every now and then I like some gouda and cabernet sauvignon. Tasty stuff. Is it odd that I enjoy the taste of dubliner and scotch? A highland, preferably. 15 yr, single malt, or go home.

The Glenlivet FTW!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Balvenie Carribean cask is great! Love me some dalwhinne too.
04-09-2012, 02:58 AM
It's too expensive. Sad

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
04-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey Bishandi, do you know what a "vitalac" is? You don't? Than you are an idiot, how come you are on this forum and you don't know such basic things as vitalac? It is one unique type of food found on my island and I am amazed at how some people are so stupid, they call themselves "free-thinkers" and they don't know the basic obscure food names...

Get the point?

But, since I am not a complete trainwreck, I can even give you pictures and examples of what I am talking about...

[Image: f85b7886b6b95a57b037e287252db9b9_view_l.jpg]

Get the point, again?

Sure you don't...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post