how many game consoles/platforms does a person need

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-09-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2013 07:45 PM by kunoxian drive.)
how many game consoles/platforms does a person need
I had a startling realization. one that probably not the first time someone had one. the game console market may be crashing... no literally. I have seen the console that has brought it to it's knees. they call it the game stick. it is basically I usb device for you tv but instead of usb think hdmi slot. the thing is it was the last nail in the coffin. the top cherry on the Sunday that may topple. not because the video game market is crowded.. nope. the video game console market is over saturated by good options.

1. xbox one
2. psvita
3. psvita tv
4. 2ds/3ds
5. game stick
6. ouya
7. pc gaming
8. cell phone gaming
9. steam box
10. any web connected video streamer
11. the shield
maybe five more I've heard of but can't remember

p.s. I think this year I ant green metal on the deck of my titanic.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: how many game consoles/platforms does a person need
The gaming industry has known for a while now that the time of the console is nearing its end. These small companies attempting to make it big with their little gadgets, usually running some form of Android, are basically the start to the big transition. The PS4 and Xbox One are actually helping that transition along, considering their hardware specs are nearly identical (if a bit proprietary and optimized) to a mid range gaming PC. The only real difference between the next gen consoles and a PC, are the operating systems.

IMO, everything will eventually move to a PC based system running DRM software similar to Steam. Microsoft will start switching (again) to a DRM based system where your licenses will be managed by them, allowing them to control the distribution and second hand market, and Sony won't be far behind. This will happen, I think, about mid way through the consoles life cycle, say 3 or 4 years from now. Publishers want it, distributors want it, game studios want it, and even though most don't know it yet, consumers want it.

The console still has its place in the market, but the transition has started (not recently, mind you, it's been happening for a while) and will only accelerate, especially now that Valve has tossed their hat into the ring with the Steam Box and Steam OS. I'll be buying one, maybe both, of the next gen consoles, but only for the exclusive games. But, be warned that the days of the exclusive titles are quickly dwindling. Microsoft and Sony will hold out as long as they can, but those exclusive IPs will start making their way to the PC soon enough. Nintendo is already out of the console race, plain and simple, games will be their future from here on out if they're smart.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
26-09-2013, 12:16 AM
A crash will probably happen. But I don't think it will be as devestating as 1982 was.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
26-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I dunno. I mean I could see Microsoft easily just stopping the xbox and focusing on PC gaming. Maybe making some sort of console gaming PC hybrid. BUT Sony..? Sony make TV's... consoles are sort of all they've got in the area of gaming and PC's, so I don't think the play station will go away for a very long time. AND because I can't see the play station going away, I don't think the xbox will go away and just basically hand the console market to Sony.

What I think will be the death of console gaming is a) PC games you don't need to install, just put the disc in and play b) latest and greatest games that are guaranteed to work on pretty much anyone's PC. c) PC prices come way down. AND d) affordable PC console-like gaming controllers that are equal to or better than a mouse and keyboard (currently mouse and keyboard preform better than console controllers, they're more accurate and more versatile).
So basically I think the death of consoles will be when you can't tell the difference between a console and a computer.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
26-09-2013, 01:59 PM
(26-09-2013 07:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I dunno. I mean I could see Microsoft easily just stopping the xbox and focusing on PC gaming. Maybe making some sort of console gaming PC hybrid. BUT Sony..? Sony make TV's... consoles are sort of all they've got in the area of gaming and PC's, so I don't think the play station will go away for a very long time. AND because I can't see the play station going away, I don't think the xbox will go away and just basically hand the console market to Sony.

What I think will be the death of console gaming is a) PC games you don't need to install, just put the disc in and play b) latest and greatest games that are guaranteed to work on pretty much anyone's PC. c) PC prices come way down. AND d) affordable PC console-like gaming controllers that are equal to or better than a mouse and keyboard (currently mouse and keyboard preform better than console controllers, they're more accurate and more versatile).
So basically I think the death of consoles will be when you can't tell the difference between a console and a computer.

d has already happened I think.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
27-09-2013, 02:15 AM
(26-09-2013 07:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I dunno. I mean I could see Microsoft easily just stopping the xbox and focusing on PC gaming. Maybe making some sort of console gaming PC hybrid. BUT Sony..? Sony make TV's... consoles are sort of all they've got in the area of gaming and PC's, so I don't think the play station will go away for a very long time. AND because I can't see the play station going away, I don't think the xbox will go away and just basically hand the console market to Sony.

Microsoft has been chasing Apple for a while now, or at least since the success of the iPhone. Just look at Windows 8, Microsoft is pushing for a closed system were they have more control. This is why Microsoft loves their Xbox, it's a closed platform they control. This is why they have been neglecting game development on the PC platform.

Anyways, I think a lot beyond that is speculation. I'm certainly not impressed by the upcoming set of consoles to abandon my PC anytime soon. For an another perspective, here is Jim Sterling with 4 vids across the Xbox One, the PS4, and PC gaming. I know he can be a bit... abrasive... but give it a few episodes, he kind of grows on you.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-09-2013, 03:27 AM
I fucking love this guy. Thank you for introducing me to him.
I agree with what he's saying.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
27-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Whew, I don't think I could listen to him on a regular basis, but he makes some very good points. I was specifically happy with his explanation re: Steam and PC DRM getting a pass. It is interesting to compare the initial Xbox one proposed DRM layout to current PC policies. Specifically, about lending out your games to friends and family, that's what Steam is looking to do now. So really, the PC DRM benefits, over what the Xbox One WOULD have been, pretty much boil down to the competing digital markets and their abilities to undercut each others prices.

I still stand by what I said earlier though, about the next generation of consoles eventually implementing some kind of DRM system, and pushing more heavily towards digital distribution. But, as that guy said, the benefits of competing markets just isn't there, so Microsoft will only be doing this to appease the industry as a whole, with a side benefit of making it easier for the few of us who tend to horde our games to manage our titles. Exactly why they started out that way, it's just that the consumer base isn't ready for it, and they need to make sure the Xbox One is profitable before taking a gamble like that.

The reason I see Sony following suit is from outside pressure from the industry. They will follow suit if that's where the industry goes. The industry will go there so long as it remains profitable, and it will because let's face it, people will continue to buy in if that's where the good games are.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
27-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I hope it doesn't go PC based... not that I've got anything against PC games, but I fucking hate computers.

I gave up on trying to get games to work on my PC... I bought a dedicated gaming computer and upgraded it, still had problems. At least with a console game, you can more or less guarantee it's going to work.

With PC gaming you have to pour a lot of money in to get anything good out of it, and even then it's hit and miss.

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits... - George Carlin.
27-09-2013, 02:56 PM
(27-09-2013 02:45 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I hope it doesn't go PC based... not that I've got anything against PC games, but I fucking hate computers.

I gave up on trying to get games to work on my PC... I bought a dedicated gaming computer and upgraded it, still had problems. At least with a console game, you can more or less guarantee it's going to work.

With PC gaming you have to pour a lot of money in to get anything good out of it, and even then it's hit and miss.

That has no meaning since consoles become more and more like PC's. The screen you saw on Xbox One looks staggeringly similar to Windows 8 didn't it? If you got problems with you computer, ask for help. That's what I do.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]