how many game consoles/platforms does a person need

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-09-2013, 04:28 PM
RE: how many game consoles/platforms does a person need
(27-09-2013 02:56 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 02:45 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I hope it doesn't go PC based... not that I've got anything against PC games, but I fucking hate computers.

I gave up on trying to get games to work on my PC... I bought a dedicated gaming computer and upgraded it, still had problems. At least with a console game, you can more or less guarantee it's going to work.

With PC gaming you have to pour a lot of money in to get anything good out of it, and even then it's hit and miss.

That has no meaning since consoles become more and more like PC's. The screen you saw on Xbox One looks staggeringly similar to Windows 8 didn't it? If you got problems with you computer, ask for help. That's what I do.

PC games are just too damn expensive when you need a new video card every year to keep up.

I used to play a lot of simulators... that's the only thing with consoles I don't like, no simuations, everything is watered down.

The stars are matter, we are matter... but it doesn't matter. - Captain Beefheart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 05:07 PM
(27-09-2013 04:28 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  PC games are just too damn expensive when you need a new video card every year to keep up.

No, you don't. My GeForce 670 won't be outdated in a long while.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
27-09-2013, 09:37 PM
(27-09-2013 05:07 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 04:28 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  PC games are just too damn expensive when you need a new video card every year to keep up.

No, you don't. My GeForce 670 won't be outdated in a long while.

I've just had too many disappointments. Games I've looked forward to, only to find they won't work.

The stars are matter, we are matter... but it doesn't matter. - Captain Beefheart
27-09-2013, 10:05 PM
(27-09-2013 09:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've just had too many disappointments. Games I've looked forward to, only to find they won't work.

Not to sound rude, but that is probably user error. That, or there are fixes you didn't bother searching for. If you need help in the future, I'd be happy to assist, just PM me.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
27-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I keep popping into the Gaming section not because I have anything to contribute but just whenever I need an ego boost.

Superiority complex FTW.

Answer to the title question:
Need? None.

Tongue

28-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Re: RE: how many game consoles/platforms does a person need
(27-09-2013 10:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I keep popping into the Gaming section not because I have anything to contribute but just whenever I need an ego boost.

Superiority complex FTW.

Answer to the title question:
Need? None.

Tongue

That's what I was thinking, I don't need any.

But I have 8... But that included the Atari 2600 I still have sitting in peaceful dust bunnies.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-09-2013, 07:09 PM
tonight I am coming to you guys from a screen that wasn't made long after the atari mainly because mine brook but I'd like to through some more change than two cents in here. I no novice at pc and how they function but I just had to plop down three hundred and seven dollars on a hd screen. this reminds me of some scientific rule which name escapes me. that the computing power of computers will double every eighteen months and only get cheaper. so why don't we just admit that pc gaming may be a pain now but when you can by a system a through it away the next day i.e. disposable razors. this all want be such a problem. will just use hoker computers made to feed off the cloud and have only ram.

btw I am literally using a screen that lasted more than twenty years because my hd hunk of carbage{well it is now} stopped working. that and a t.v. thats even older. a weapons grade face pawm. two things that to do the job of one and they are still around. lol.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
28-09-2013, 07:45 PM
sorry for double posting but i am reminded of a quote from bender. "do I want on one million doller hooker bot or five m8illion one dollar hooker bots." I think we are going towards the latter.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
29-09-2013, 12:22 AM
(27-09-2013 10:05 PM)Anudist Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 09:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've just had too many disappointments. Games I've looked forward to, only to find they won't work.

Not to sound rude, but that is probably user error. That, or there are fixes you didn't bother searching for. If you need help in the future, I'd be happy to assist, just PM me.

This is exactly why people like consoles.
You buy a game, you throw in the disc and you play. No fuss.
With PC's, I agree that it's probably in this case a user problem, if you have a decent set up it will last for a lot longer than what people give it credit for and even when it starts to get a little outdated most games will have that option to lower graphic settings etc..
ie: This laptop cost me $500, that's extremely cheap yet I can play pretty much any strategy game on it, eu4 for exmaple, Shogun 2 TW works extremely well. Rome 2 TW doesn't work remotely well however, but I don't know, they fucked that game up IMO and will probably have patches later to make it more optimized (like they did with Shogun 2). I can play Borderlands 2, Skyrim, I'm currently playing Metro Last Light etc..
And this is a cheap laptop, let alone my actual PC I designed for video games... (which runs Rome 2 very well).
What was my point? Oh yea, but this doesn't matter because there's still that possibility that something, SOMETHING will clash with a game. If not hardware, than software. Where as consoles the games will 100% work every time.
And when you're spending $60US on a game with 0 chance of returning it, that added security is really really good.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
29-09-2013, 12:54 PM
(29-09-2013 12:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 10:05 PM)Anudist Wrote:  Not to sound rude, but that is probably user error. That, or there are fixes you didn't bother searching for. If you need help in the future, I'd be happy to assist, just PM me.

This is exactly why people like consoles.
You buy a game, you throw in the disc and you play. No fuss.
With PC's, I agree that it's probably in this case a user problem, if you have a decent set up it will last for a lot longer than what people give it credit for and even when it starts to get a little outdated most games will have that option to lower graphic settings etc..
ie: This laptop cost me $500, that's extremely cheap yet I can play pretty much any strategy game on it, eu4 for exmaple, Shogun 2 TW works extremely well. Rome 2 TW doesn't work remotely well however, but I don't know, they fucked that game up IMO and will probably have patches later to make it more optimized (like they did with Shogun 2). I can play Borderlands 2, Skyrim, I'm currently playing Metro Last Light etc..
And this is a cheap laptop, let alone my actual PC I designed for video games... (which runs Rome 2 very well).
What was my point? Oh yea, but this doesn't matter because there's still that possibility that something, SOMETHING will clash with a game. If not hardware, than software. Where as consoles the games will 100% work every time.
And when you're spending $60US on a game with 0 chance of returning it, that added security is really really good.

I got a WW1 flight sim called "Rise Of Flight"... apparently it's an excellent sim. But I just cannot get it to work on my PC.

Managed to get it to run once on this laptop, but the video card is way to small to handle it properly and it froze up every time. In all it took 4 hours to install and download the mandatory updates. And new updates were produced almost daily for a while, so each time to started the game you had to wait another half hour while it updated.

And I couldn't take the game back... once the seal on the box is broken, it cannot be refunded. Which is a shit idea.

But yes, I switched to consoles because of that guarantee... it's a shame there isn't more in depth gaming on consoles. I'm sure it's possible, but probably not profitable enough for the big companies to attempt it.