how religions view atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
how religions view atheism
i was hoping some of you could help me out. i am a college student taking a class in comparative religions and we have a paper that we have to write across the semester on any subject related to religion that we want. i would like to write mine of how different religions treat atheism. more specifically i am trying to find info on christianity, judaism, islam, hinduism, and buddhism and the way that they treat disbelief. i am having some trouble finding reliable sources especially on the last two. if you know of anything that could help let me know. thanks everyone
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 10:43 AM
RE: how religions view atheism
All the religions you mention except buddhism accept the idea of a deity in control. Buddhism is controversial in that most or many of the buddhism religious don't consider it a religion or at least feel they are atheistic and buddha was 'just a man that became enlightened and all knowing', but that there is no supreme being(s) in control (just a higher consciousness). Buddhism is a 'way of life' (in their eyes).
08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
(08-02-2013 10:43 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  All the religions you mention except buddhism accept the idea of a deity in control. Buddhism is controversial in that most or many of the buddhism religious don't consider it a religion or at least feel they are atheistic and buddha was 'just a man that became enlightened and all knowing', but that there is no supreme being(s) in control (just a higher consciousness). Buddhism is a 'way of life' (in their eyes).

Well, yeah, except for all that karma and reincarnation crap.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
(08-02-2013 10:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 10:43 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  All the religions you mention except buddhism accept the idea of a deity in control. Buddhism is controversial in that most or many of the buddhism religious don't consider it a religion or at least feel they are atheistic and buddha was 'just a man that became enlightened and all knowing', but that there is no supreme being(s) in control (just a higher consciousness). Buddhism is a 'way of life' (in their eyes).

Yeah, they do have their own collection of metaphysical baggage. But at least they don't threaten non-Buddhists with eternal damnation and hell-fire...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
(08-02-2013 10:05 AM)blackwell Wrote:  i was hoping some of you could help me out. i am a college student taking a class in comparative religions and we have a paper that we have to write across the semester on any subject related to religion that we want. i would like to write mine of how different religions treat atheism. more specifically i am trying to find info on christianity, judaism, islam, hinduism, and buddhism and the way that they treat disbelief. i am having some trouble finding reliable sources especially on the last two. if you know of anything that could help let me know. thanks everyone
Blackwell, I'd strongly recommend narrowing your subject, or at the very least getting your professor's take on whether to narrow it. Looking at Christianity alone, it is incredibly diverse, with treatment of atheists varying across denominations. You could write a huge tome on how Christians alone treat atheists. (Also, research materials should be easier to find.) I'm less cognizant of how other religions treat atheists, but I'd think they'd also be poorly-suited to a broad-brush treatment.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't think you can make a generalization like "how religions treat _______". In Christianity, at least, it's varied, and more or less depends on the community, person, or denomination.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Religions treat atheism like a child; looking down on them from the steaming mountain of shit they've built claiming that cleanliness is godliness.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
If it is not too late for your paper, you could go here:

Convention

I'm sure there will be theist groups protesting, they always do. You could interview them, maybe interview the convention organizers for their insights too.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-02-2013, 12:30 PM
The bible and the koran certainly have passages that mention non-believers in general along with "penalties". As others have said, that is then interpreted in a multitude of views. Perhaps you could focus solely on the written word and not the interpretation but even that is fraught with problems. You've chosen a broad subject indeed and the advice to talk to your professor for guidance is spot on.
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
(08-02-2013 10:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I know this, but they would say that this is just a consequence of natural law- an evolution of the higher consciousness so to speak- but no one controls this (a deity), it just is.

Yes, it is still supernatural woo, but *they* say they are atheist in regards to a specific deity (not what *I* am saying).