how religions view atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: how religions view atheism
There's a worldwide atheist movement with higher echelons of belief? Who knew?

Godless in the Magnolia State
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Vosur: I just think it doesn't matter which people are in a group, but what kind of emotional virus keeps them together. So I tried to call it egregore, for a lack of a better term.
Last time I heard, this word has been used even for such things as an image of a company, its culture among employees, managers and so on. You have any better idea? Is there already such a word in sociology?

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
(09-02-2013 11:57 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Vosur: I just think it doesn't matter which people are in a group, but what kind of emotional virus keeps them together. So I tried to call it egregore, for a lack of a better term.
Last time I heard, this word has been used even for such things as an image of a company, its culture among employees, managers and so on. You have any better idea? Is there already such a word in sociology?

Kurt Vonnegut coined 'granfalloon'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
(09-02-2013 11:36 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  To me, Atheists fall into two categories: the decieved and the decievers.

The decieved are your average everyday Atheist. These are conditioned from childhood with two mutually contradictory doctrines. One of supposed "unbelief", a rejection of God and Two a hatred of God and his followers (why do you have to hate something that you don't believe exists, Atheists?). This group are only dangerous in numbers but will feign reasonability or even friendliness when outnumbered.

The second group are far more dangerous, these are the leaders of the Atheist movement worldwide. Some of these are inductees into the higher echelons of the belief structure, others are merely talented outsiders. At a glance it's hard to tell the difference, but inevitably one such as Christopher Hitchens spewing out vicious slanders against a God he claims not to believe in would be an insider of the Cult of Atheism.

So ... your misunderstanding of atheists falls into two categories: ignorance & hate and hate & fear. Mighty Jesusy of you there. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-02-2013, 12:39 PM
(09-02-2013 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 11:57 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Vosur: I just think it doesn't matter which people are in a group, but what kind of emotional virus keeps them together. So I tried to call it egregore, for a lack of a better term.

Kurt Vonnegut coined 'granfalloon'.

I have no problem with the concept of a collective group mindset - but this "egregore" thing is supposed to be some autonomous psychic entity and that just puts it too into the realm of some kind of outside controller... I would go with more of an inside controller if I were going to go along with it. But even then, it would feel too much like conspiratorial bullshit.

So, meh. Interesting elaboration, though. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
10-02-2013, 06:23 PM
(09-02-2013 11:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 11:36 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  To me, Atheists fall into two categories: the decieved and the decievers.

The decieved are your average everyday Atheist. These are conditioned from childhood with two mutually contradictory doctrines. One of supposed "unbelief", a rejection of God and Two a hatred of God and his followers (why do you have to hate something that you don't believe exists, Atheists?). This group are only dangerous in numbers but will feign reasonability or even friendliness when outnumbered.

The second group are far more dangerous, these are the leaders of the Atheist movement worldwide. Some of these are inductees into the higher echelons of the belief structure, others are merely talented outsiders. At a glance it's hard to tell the difference, but inevitably one such as Christopher Hitchens spewing out vicious slanders against a God he claims not to believe in would be an insider of the Cult of Atheism.
Atheists, by and large, don't hate God. Why do you think they do?

What I dislike is the fact that people believe without evidence. That kind of belief is irrational and dangerous.

Please tell me more about "the higher echelons of the belief structure" because I'd sure like to join.
Personally my feelings towards God are very much similar to my feelings towards Lord Voldemort or Sauron. Or Sylar from Heroes.
11-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:Well, yeah, except for all that karma and reincarnation crap.
Chas, you are an exceptionally intelligent and insightful person. But when you call the faith of hundreds of millions of Hindus "crap" you are not playing on the field of a gentleman. I'm a Christian, and reincarnation is illogical and even inimical to my worldview. But can you make a factual argument once in a while to go with your one line jibes?
11-02-2013, 10:09 AM
(11-02-2013 09:57 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Chas, you are an exceptionally intelligent and insightful person. But when you call the faith of hundreds of millions of Hindus "crap" you are not playing on the field of a gentleman. I'm a Christian, and reincarnation is illogical and even inimical to my worldview. But can you make a factual argument once in a while to go with your one line jibes?
What you call a one line jibe I call an accurate assessment. It's not like Christianity isn't telling you all those hundreds of millions of Hindu's aren't going to burn in hell. Where the fuck did that field go?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
11-02-2013, 10:11 AM

The fact is that there is no evidence for any religion's supernatural claims. None. Nada. Zilch.

So, sans evidence, it's crap.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-02-2013, 10:30 AM
As PleaseJesus says, thinking millions of Hindus will burn in Hell forever isn't exactly gentlemanly either.
And as I say, Christian worldview is well-compatible with reincarnation. Or was, until the emperor Justinian and the Church declared it a heresy. Ever heard of Origen of Alexandria ?
Furthermore, IIRC in the times of Jesus the sect of Pharisees also propagated kind of a reincarnation.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post