how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 08:53 AM
how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
I was just reading an article on CNN about how the recent rulings really don't have much bearing on those that live in the 37 states that do not allow same sex marriages. Its a baby step overall, but on a personal level, nothing has changed for those in the anti-gay 37.

I got to thinking about it and wondered how much corporate America could play into changing these rules. States compete for businesses to relocate to their state with tax benefits, etc.

Do you think many of these companies will use the fact of whether or not a state is same sex marriage friendly or not into the equation when choosing a place. Can corporate America force some changes?

Most of you here are intelligent in the workings of politics and corporate America, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2013, 09:42 AM
RE: how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
(27-06-2013 08:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I was just reading an article on CNN about how the recent rulings really don't have much bearing on those that live in the 37 states that do not allow same sex marriages. Its a baby step overall, but on a personal level, nothing has changed for those in the anti-gay 37.

I got to thinking about it and wondered how much corporate America could play into changing these rules. States compete for businesses to relocate to their state with tax benefits, etc.

Do you think many of these companies will use the fact of whether or not a state is same sex marriage friendly or not into the equation when choosing a place. Can corporate America force some changes?

Most of you here are intelligent in the workings of politics and corporate America, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

No. All companies are going to care about is the availability of resources and a tax friendly environment. The legal policies concerning same sex marriage? While they may not tolerate discrimination in the workplace, public policy in these states are out of their hands.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
27-06-2013, 09:47 AM
(27-06-2013 08:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I was just reading an article on CNN about how the recent rulings really don't have much bearing on those that live in the 37 states that do not allow same sex marriages. Its a baby step overall, but on a personal level, nothing has changed for those in the anti-gay 37.

The big point is that this and the language in the dismissal of Prop 8 will set precedent as more cases come up through the pipeline about a state's ability to deny same-sex marriage (NPR ran a story yesterday saying a case from Nevada may make it in a few years).

The rulings by the Supreme Court on interracial marriage didn't change things at the state-level overnight either, but it gets the wheels good and greased-up as the justices hurl us forward!

Evolve
27-06-2013, 10:55 AM
(27-06-2013 09:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

The big point is that this and the language in the dismissal of Prop 8 will set precedent as more cases come up through the pipeline about a state's ability to deny same-sex marriage (NPR ran a story yesterday saying a case from Nevada may make it in a few years).

The rulings by the Supreme Court on interracial marriage didn't change things at the state-level overnight either, but it gets the wheels good and greased-up as the justices hurl us forward!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/hi...01_ZO.html
http://www.theroot.com/views/how-loving-case-changed-us

This ruling did in fact overturn the laws against interracial marriage by rendering them unconstitutional.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
27-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Re: how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
Indeed, that eventually did happen. I don't believe the first time it was ruled upon was the decision your mention though.

Evolve
27-06-2013, 11:43 AM
(27-06-2013 11:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Indeed, that eventually did happen. I don't believe the first time it was ruled upon was the decision your mention though.

I may be wrong here but I think Loving v Virginia was the first and only interracial marriage case to make it to the SCOTUS.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

27-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Re: how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
It's very possible I'm wrong.

Evolve
27-06-2013, 12:15 PM
(27-06-2013 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-06-2013 11:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Indeed, that eventually did happen. I don't believe the first time it was ruled upon was the decision your mention though.

I may be wrong here but I think Loving v Virginia was the first and only interracial marriage case to make it to the SCOTUS.

Nope.

Wikipedia Wrote:Pace v. Alabama, 106 U.S. 583 (1883), was a case in which the United States Supreme Court affirmed that Alabama's anti-miscegenation statute was constitutional. This ruling was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1964 in McLaughlin v. Florida and in 1967 in Loving v. Virginia.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 12:26 PM
(27-06-2013 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-06-2013 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I may be wrong here but I think Loving v Virginia was the first and only interracial marriage case to make it to the SCOTUS.

Nope.

Wikipedia Wrote:Pace v. Alabama, 106 U.S. 583 (1883), was a case in which the United States Supreme Court affirmed that Alabama's anti-miscegenation statute was constitutional. This ruling was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1964 in McLaughlin v. Florida and in 1967 in Loving v. Virginia.

Huh, learn something new everyday it seems.

27-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Isn't it so that if 30 states allow something that it can be rattified or something?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.