how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 05:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
(27-06-2013 08:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Do you think many of these companies will use the fact of whether or not a state is same sex marriage friendly or not into the equation when choosing a place. Can corporate America force some changes?

The most immediate impact will be for companies which already provide the same health care benefits for same-sex married couples as for heterosexual couples. Those companies currently providing the same health care coverage to same-sex spouses at the same cost as heterosexual spouses have to reach into their own pocket to cover the additional tax burden on same-sex couples since the health insurance benefit for the spouse is (or rather, was) treated as taxable income.

Nearly 300 companies signed onto a "friend of the court" brief to the Supreme Court identifying the costs they incur for providing the same health care to legally married same-sex couples. Chik-Fil-A was obviously not one of them. Tongue

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2013, 05:56 PM
RE: how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage
(27-06-2013 08:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I was just reading an article on CNN about how the recent rulings really don't have much bearing on those that live in the 37 states that do not allow same sex marriages. Its a baby step overall, but on a personal level, nothing has changed for those in the anti-gay 37.

I got to thinking about it and wondered how much corporate America could play into changing these rules. States compete for businesses to relocate to their state with tax benefits, etc.

Do you think many of these companies will use the fact of whether or not a state is same sex marriage friendly or not into the equation when choosing a place. Can corporate America force some changes?

Most of you here are intelligent in the workings of politics and corporate America, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

I don't think corporations would weigh in very much on this issue. Restrictions on marriage among gay people may have a marginal impact on whether a company wants to open a new office or branch in a state that has a ban. Any law that makes some portion of the population not want to live in a state makes that state marginally less competitive for talent in the labor pool. But if it is a state with wide-spread antipathy towards gay people, that company will not speak up out of fear that it would hurt sales to residents in that state. Likewise, a company with offices in a state that bans gay marriage is not likely to speak out publicly. Most companies would just not rather be involved in any issue that is controversial since they will likely turn off customers no matter what position they take.

What companies will do, and many have regardless of the law, is to offer benefits to domestic partners so that at least they treat all their employees equally. This would tend to happen in publicly owned companies where they are more subject to social pressures. Privately owned companies with social conservative owners, like Chick-Fil-A for example, will continue to discriminate if legally allowed.

In many states, like Wisconsin where I live, constitutional amendments were passed in the waning days of opposition to gay marriage. Wisconsin requires amendments to pass both houses in two successive sessions before being approved a third time in a general election by public vote. The ban on gay marriage in Wisconsin will, unless overruled by the US Supreme Court, live beyond public support for the ban.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply