how to use the bible agaisnt itself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2016 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: how to use the bible agaisnt itself
(25-02-2016 08:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  …Or do you ask every woman you meet whether she’s had sex or not so you know how to address her? Q, how would you address me? Am I a miss or a ma’am?

You're a "Hello, I'm B-b. Pleased to meet you."

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Anything you state about the bible being wrong they just would respond with: "you're taking the text out of context" "you don't know how to read the bible"

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 1 user Likes Seeking_Truth's post
27-02-2016, 11:59 AM
(27-02-2016 11:48 AM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Anything you state about the bible being wrong they just would respond with: "you're taking the text out of context" "you don't know how to read the bible"

Yeah, but even if they can't be reasoned with, when they realize that they can't refute your arguments, they may give up and go away. Yes
27-02-2016, 02:48 PM
(27-02-2016 11:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 11:48 AM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Anything you state about the bible being wrong they just would respond with: "you're taking the text out of context" "you don't know how to read the bible"

Yeah, but even if they can't be reasoned with, when they realize that they can't refute your arguments, they may give up and go away. Yes

I guess so.

By the way, jews only use old testament, right? since they don't believe Jesus was the messiah new testament doesn't count, I think.

27-02-2016, 03:53 PM
(27-02-2016 02:48 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 11:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, but even if they can't be reasoned with, when they realize that they can't refute your arguments, they may give up and go away. Yes

I guess so.

By the way, jews only use old testament, right? since they don't believe Jesus was the messiah new testament doesn't count, I think.

Basically correct. The Hebrew Bible is very similar to the Christian Old Testament, but there are key translation and interpretation differences that make a world of difference. Yes, we reject 100% of the New Testament. Jesus is not considered to be a Jewish figure and he's never mentioned or discussed in Jewish circles.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
27-02-2016, 04:56 PM
(27-02-2016 03:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 02:48 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  I guess so.

Basically correct. The Hebrew Bible is very similar to the Christian Old Testament, but there are key translation and interpretation differences that make a world of difference. Yes, we reject 100% of the New Testament. Jesus is not considered to be a Jewish figure and he's never mentioned or discussed in Jewish circles.

Thanks for that information. Just one last question, do jews accept the existance of a historical Jesus or take him as a myth?

27-02-2016, 05:19 PM
(27-02-2016 04:56 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 03:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Basically correct. The Hebrew Bible is very similar to the Christian Old Testament, but there are key translation and interpretation differences that make a world of difference. Yes, we reject 100% of the New Testament. Jesus is not considered to be a Jewish figure and he's never mentioned or discussed in Jewish circles.

Thanks for that information. Just one last question, do jews accept the existance of a historical Jesus or take him as a myth?

I hear a variety of different ideas, and there is no official consensus among Jews. I think most Jews accept that the character of Jesus is legitimately based on a real person who actually lived around this time, but who bears very little resemblance to the character depicted in the NT.
27-02-2016, 06:37 PM
(27-02-2016 05:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 04:56 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Thanks for that information. Just one last question, do jews accept the existance of a historical Jesus or take him as a myth?

I hear a variety of different ideas, and there is no official consensus among Jews. I think most Jews accept that the character of Jesus is legitimately based on a real person who actually lived around this time, but who bears very little resemblance to the character depicted in the NT.

Thank you very much Aliza, that cleared my doubts about judaism.

27-02-2016, 08:26 PM
(27-02-2016 06:37 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 05:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I hear a variety of different ideas, and there is no official consensus among Jews. I think most Jews accept that the character of Jesus is legitimately based on a real person who actually lived around this time, but who bears very little resemblance to the character depicted in the NT.

Thank you very much Aliza, that cleared my doubts about judaism.

Glad to be of assistance. I'm more than happy to try to explain what Judaism actually is vs. what people think it is. -But for the record, it took me a lot longer to clear up my own doubts. Tongue
27-02-2016, 10:17 PM
(27-02-2016 05:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ....but who bears very little resemblance to the character depicted in the NT.

Now THIS is something I agree with you on 100%. Smile

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post