how was the Indo-Pak war of 1971 portrayed in the western world ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2014 07:43 AM by Ace.)
how was the Indo-Pak war of 1971 portrayed in the western world ?
I'm curious about the opinions of the west during that time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_War_of_1971
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 07:42 AM
RE: how was the Indo-Pak war of 1971 portrayed in the western world ?
Wasn't alive. Other than actually learning about it years later in college in a History of Asia course, my only experience of people at any point talking about Paki-India conflicts was in 1999, when according to Nostradamus theorizers, the end of the world was predicted and it was going to be a nuclear war started by their conflicts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-08-2014, 07:50 AM
In Murica this could be best summed up by "There was a war? Where is India? Is it near Pakistan?"

Just sayin' Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
27-08-2014, 12:59 PM
(27-08-2014 07:50 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  In Murica this could be best summed up by "There was a war? Where is India? Is it near Pakistan?"

well during the war nixon got a US task force enter into my countrys territorial waters so we asked the Soviets to keep an eye on em (with a nuclear sub:yesSmile

was this war censored in the media or something ?
27-08-2014, 01:01 PM
(27-08-2014 12:59 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 07:50 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  In Murica this could be best summed up by "There was a war? Where is India? Is it near Pakistan?"

well during the war nixon got a US task force enter into my countrys territorial waters so we asked the Soviets to keep an eye on em (with a nuclear sub:yesSmile

No it wasn't censored. Most Americans just do not care about what goes on outside the borders.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-08-2014, 01:06 PM
(27-08-2014 01:01 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 12:59 PM)Ace Wrote:  well during the war nixon got a US task force enter into my countrys territorial waters so we asked the Soviets to keep an eye on em (with a nuclear sub:yesSmile

No it wasn't censored. Most Americans just do not care about what goes on outside the borders.

Our government found a secret that most authoritarian countries would never suspect. By not limiting any information it makes it so the public is so overwhelmed by all there is to know they naturally ignore most things that do not directly affect them unless their attention is directed there. Censorship by glut rather than retraction.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-08-2014, 01:14 PM
That's the Bangladeshi independence war, right?

India was mildly pro-Soviet at the time, and Pakistan vaguely US-backed, but I doubt the average person would have cared much either way. I doubt even the Pakistani brutality against the Bengali people that sparked the war would've made much news...

Plus, most of us here weren't alive at the time.

... this is my signature!
27-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Considering most people aren't even aware of the genocide committed by Pakistan, I'm going to say not at all.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
28-08-2014, 11:42 PM
(27-08-2014 01:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 01:01 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  No it wasn't censored. Most Americans just do not care about what goes on outside the borders.

Our government found a secret that most authoritarian countries would never suspect. By not limiting any information it makes it so the public is so overwhelmed by all there is to know they naturally ignore most things that do not directly affect them unless their attention is directed there. Censorship by glut rather than retraction.

Is it really different anywhere else? People only give a shit about our politics because our politics tend to have impacts on the rest of the world. I don't think anybody who didn't have a stake in the India-Pakistan war cared much. I have to admit, most of what I know about the war I learned from watching "Gandhi" Shy .
29-08-2014, 12:27 AM
It was 43 years ago.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!