how would you reply to a christian who says following:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: how would you reply to a christian who says following:
Sometimes you just have to ..

[Image: 20f3z46.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I would say "Let me get this straight. You believe that your god wants children to suffer & die and their parents to suffer mental anguish because other people unrelated to those children & adults aren't doing what a god wants them to do. You do realize that a hurricane, disease and blunt objects that strike your head can harm you and kill you no matter if you're following your god's commands or not. Following your imaginary god doesn't prevent anyone from hardship. The fact that you are OK with children being killed by the millions each and every year makes me disgusted to even be talking to someone who is so morally bankrupt. If I believed in the power of prayer, I would pray that you get a fucking clue."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
15-09-2014, 11:33 AM
(12-09-2014 11:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It sounds like the Christian is trying to find a reason (or excuse) to cover the pain experienced when young ones perish, so how do non-Christians cover this pain?

Realize we can't control everything and try and move on?

Is that the same as "God had a plan"? "Christians cannot control all things and they try to move on?"

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2014, 12:02 PM
My brothers wife posted this little prayer thing on FB asking god to bless her house and keep them all healthy & happy, etc etc

I wanted to reply with "Sorry, but that's not the plan god has in store for you. In fact asking god to chance his plan for your life really shows a lack a faith in his plan for you. So instead of praying for god asking him to change his plan, maybe you should have more faith in the plan, because I'm pretty sure prayer is god's way of detecting those who don't have enough faith.

So stop fucking praying for shit. It ain't gonna happen."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
16-09-2014, 06:10 AM
(15-09-2014 11:33 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Realize we can't control everything and try and move on?

Is that the same as "God had a plan"? "Christians cannot control all things and they try to move on?"

It's the same in that one stops fretting over something they cannot control. It's different in that they are making up some comforting thing to make them feel better about letting go. It would be like the difference between me saying

"I can't afford that awesome car, so I won't worry about buying it."

and

"I can't afford that awesome car yet, but I'll probably win the lottery, so I'll worry about buying it then."

So, the end result might be the same, but they're creating an illusion to help them get there in the first place.
16-09-2014, 06:33 AM
To the OP I would respond to the question as follows.

"Anything or anyone that is willing to sacrifice innocent children is an evil monster and should be disposed of as soon as possible. Anyone who is willing to justify those actions is also an evil monster. You were saying?"
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
16-09-2014, 10:06 AM
(16-09-2014 06:10 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 11:33 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that the same as "God had a plan"? "Christians cannot control all things and they try to move on?"

It's the same in that one stops fretting over something they cannot control. It's different in that they are making up some comforting thing to make them feel better about letting go. It would be like the difference between me saying

"I can't afford that awesome car, so I won't worry about buying it."

and

"I can't afford that awesome car yet, but I'll probably win the lottery, so I'll worry about buying it then."

So, the end result might be the same, but they're creating an illusion to help them get there in the first place.

What myths of comfort are you aware of self-creating?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
16-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Are you talking about the lottery example in my analogy, or what?
16-09-2014, 11:10 AM
(16-09-2014 10:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Are you talking about the lottery example in my analogy, or what?

You didn't understand I'm asking about your assertion that you don't worry and therefore must have some personal "lottery" system to replace "god"?

16-09-2014, 12:00 PM
(16-09-2014 11:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Are you talking about the lottery example in my analogy, or what?

You didn't understand I'm asking about your assertion that you don't worry and therefore must have some personal "lottery" system to replace "god"?

That's not what he said. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post