how would you reply to a christian who says following:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: how would you reply to a christian who says following:
(16-09-2014 11:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Are you talking about the lottery example in my analogy, or what?

You didn't understand I'm asking about your assertion that you don't worry and therefore must have some personal "lottery" system to replace "god"?

Yeah, that's not what I said.

Compare that lottery statement to the other bolded statement in the post. Now, find the assertion in that other statement (assuming that "I don't have enough money" is a given).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 02:52 PM by Lienda Bella.)
You could just ignore them. Here is what I would have wanted to tell them, but never build up the nerve to send.

Facepalm
"I'm sure you didn't mean anything ugly by the first post. I would have ignored it and went on about my day, because I've seen that quite a bit. I assume the reason you put it there was to make other Christians feel happy. Here is why some find things like your first post annoying. Telling someone to pray harder is a little like telling the battered or hungry person next to you that they are lazy and ungrateful. Telling people who already pray to pray is... well... whatever. It's not exactly validating to people who have tried for nothing.

~"..Innocent children die because there are humans that are rebellious and their heart is like a stone, and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THEY DON'T HAVE GOD IN THEIR LIVES!
GOD allows this thing to happen because God wants us to be sorry for our sins, and live a Godly life!"

"I hope you don't really think that, and I doubt that you have succeeded in getting your respondent to agree with you. Innocent children hurt and die because God allows the bad humans to do what they want to them? Then he doesn't intervene for the child's sake. I wander how it feels for that child to be told such things. 'god wants us to be sorry for our sins" His or her attacker is the one who is supposed to feel sorry! What's even worse is that I hear 'his divine plan' repeated by Christians a lot. You don't seem to believe that part at least.
His plan? = He wanted (willed) it to be so. Yep. He planned this entire scenario in advance.

"~ MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THEY DON'T HAVE GOD IN THEIR LIVES!~ It shouldn't even matter if someone believes he exists or not. Oh wait. It doesn't. If your roles were reversed, would you by chance have thought this next line? 'They are happy right now, because they will someday burn forever for not having God in their lives?' I've heard and read that from Christians that were certain they had God in their lives."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
17-09-2014, 10:47 AM
(16-09-2014 12:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 11:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You didn't understand I'm asking about your assertion that you don't worry and therefore must have some personal "lottery" system to replace "god"?

Yeah, that's not what I said.

Compare that lottery statement to the other bolded statement in the post. Now, find the assertion in that other statement (assuming that "I don't have enough money" is a given).

Didn't you ask me to rephrase what I had asked you and not to rephrase what you had said? So I'm asking again, what might you have as a defensive mechanism, something that you would obviously need to be self-aware regarding (to know you have it) rather than a god (or if you wish, a lottery--that's a good example to cite)?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2014, 03:08 PM
One of my favorite responses to those who believe there's a god controlling the disastrous weather is, "What about all of the hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes that don't take human life? How competent is your god if he can't even kill someone with a tornado? Another swing and a miss for your all-powerful deity? Oh, let me guess, he was being merciful and this time he controlled the path of this tornado to miss everyone, but next time he might not be so kind." Absolutely sickening.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
17-09-2014, 03:27 PM
(11-09-2014 03:36 PM)Ruby Wrote:  to which the christian replies, " As far as I understand and believed, the world is so sinful thats why natural disaster happens! Innocent child died because there are humans that are rebellious and their heart is like a stone,and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THEY DON'T HAVE GOD IN THEIR LIVES!
GOD allow this thing to happen because God wants us to be sorry for our sins, and live a Godly life!"

any suggestions how to reply to this christian?

And you worship that god? You are one sick bastard - stay the fuck away from me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post