hypocritical holiday lady?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2011, 07:39 AM
hypocritical holiday lady?!
Although I'm a FAR cry from a Christian these days, I still love the holiday season. I enjoy all the little traditions that come with the time of the year. Not the churchy/ jesus aspect of it ( which yes I know is supposed to be the point ), but just the silly snowmen,penquins, santa, happy go lucky holiday theme. I'm one of the few remaining people who still enjoys Christmas music, and just the general happy feelings that you can get caught up in during the last couple months of the year. My boyfriend finds this hilarious, as he says I'm one of the biggest atheists ( or probly just the most honest/open about it) that he knows. Anyone else share my sentiments or am I just a crazy hypocrite?

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2011, 07:51 AM
RE: hypocritical holiday lady?!
No you are no alone. For proof check out the thread Christmas and atheism. It's pretty great if I do say so myself Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm with you. I don't even hate the Christmas commercialization. Though I do get a bit annoyed after 3 months of Christmas carols. But it has good memories for me. I like carols unless they come over a PA system, I even go to church on Christmas day with my parents. I think we place too much emphasis on 'walking the talk' or whatever. Fine, I'm a hypocrite... who cares Tongue
16-11-2011, 07:59 AM
I enjoy the shiny lights and pretty colours...then again that might be because of all the rum filled eggnog I consume. Ah doesn't matter. The holidays should be enjoyed regardless of one's faith or belief system.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
16-11-2011, 08:12 AM
The catholic church has the nasty habit of claiming all pleasant events and incorporating pagan rituals as if they were their own.

Christmas trees for example were a symbol of fertility and renewal long before the christian associated it with the birth of Christ. The 25th of december is also contested. The Persian god Mithra was apprently born on the 25th of december too (and had disciples and resurrected after 3 days), as well as Horus and Dionysus. So, apart from the lies and theft of intellectual party property, they have accumulated and 'rich' heritage of festivities.

Christmas (the darkness of winter), birth (baptism), love (marriage), death (funerals) and many more were and still are crossroads in people's lives that often ask for symbolic celebrations.

Today, people become more and more secular (in Europe at least), but still wish to retain certain of these traditions; that doesn't necessarily include the need to include God in it. If I got a a child of my own, I'd like to celebrate it too, but I would have to turn myself to a secular alternative. That wouldn't make me a hypocrite for "stealing their idea", as it wasn't their idea in the first place; those traditions grew over the centuries.

So, enjoy christmas (or call it winter's day, winterval, festivus): the presents, quality time with your family, snowmen, gl├╝hwein, stories by the fireplace... Enjoy those rituals because they are fun and strengthen family ties and friendships. It just proves that you're just a human being that cares, nothing more. Jesus doesn't need a place in all of this...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 3 users Like Thammuz's post