i, Kant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2011, 10:38 PM
i, Kant
It makes perfect sense to me that having a first "hero" in Sulla, considered by many to be history's greatest villain, that my last "hero" be Kant, a total creature of love and joy.

I'm not "the resurrection of Kant;" that's frickin' absurd. What I do seem to know, however, is how these "past-lives' rumors find homes in the non-critical minds. Patterns of identity, and nothing more.

Being around thirty, having no life, and sitting on my sofa; for sure there was parallel with Sulla. He was doing the same kind of nothing at thirty, when history in the form of Gaius Marius came a knocking on the door.

Being around forty-three, and having the speculation that Kant's noumenon is none other than the neter Set from Egyptian mythology; furthermore, Love is Void, the Nothingness that exists, and the source for creative energy since time immemorial, may just make this naive philosopher the inheritor of Kant.

Or not. But I'm on page -7 of this book from the forties, The Philosophy of Kant, that has been through two tours of Bookman's to end up here on my lap; and life is just A OK.

Anyone wanna say I Kant? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2011, 11:16 PM
RE: i, Kant
Hear that?

That's the sound of me rubbing my hands together in glee. Let the Kantian Games begin!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Man, me and you might be on a pattern of identity there, Preach. Wink

I've been told that having no formal philosophy that Kant was not the place to start - that's already incorrect. Last night some guy across the pond tried to tell me Kant wrecked the past 200 years of philosophy - that's already incorrect... Tongue

From the intro, guy seems just like me - fulla the love and joy - and if he had Mandelbrot around to hand him the fractal, I'd probably hafta identify with somebody else's pattern. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-11-2011, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 11:40 PM by Erxomai.)
A Kantian, Utillitarian and Hedonist enter a bar.
Bartender asks what they will have.
Beer says the Utilitarian
beer says the Hedonist
The Kantian orders a soda. "I can't have a drink of beer unless I would will that everyone has a beer and if we all drink than we wont be able to drive home, thus I can't not will it. So it is wrong to have a beer." He then glares at the other two.

"Why did you invite him? He's such a downer," says the Hedonist.
The Utilliatarian replies "Well our combined happiness out-weighs his unhappiness. Besides he's the designated driver!"

Dammit!

Now I wish my first response had been:

What's that you say? I Kant hear you!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-11-2011, 12:52 AM
That vid is frickin hilarious. Big Grin

Nietzsche is another one; the only problem I have with that cat is his fear of the abyss; which is perfectly rational if one is not aware of the love/fear duality. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2011, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 12:55 AM by Mr Woof.)
[/i]
(23-11-2011 11:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  A Kantian, Utillitarian and Hedonist enter a bar.
Bartender asks what they will have.
Beer says the Utilitarian
beer says the Hedonist
The Kantian orders a soda. "I can't have a drink of beer unless I would will that everyone has a beer and if we all drink than we wont be able to drive home, thus I can't not will it. So it is wrong to have a beer." He then glares at the other two.

"Why did you invite him? He's such a downer," says the Hedonist.
The Utilliatarian replies "Well our combined happiness out-weighs his unhappiness. Besides he's the designated driver!"

Dammit!

Now I wish my first response had been:

What's that you say? I Kant hear you!

Poor old Kant, his Noumenal existence had a sort of substance[i]but as a moral relativist, of sorts, I see his categorical imperative as the pits.

Neitzshe would have liked your joke.Cool
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
24-11-2011, 01:21 AM
(24-11-2011 12:52 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Poor old Kant, his Noumenal existence had a sort of substancebut as a moral relativist, of sorts, I see his categorical imperative as the pits.

Didn't I tell you I was on page -7? Tongue

As an atheist, I can see how Kant's ideal of religion is a big turn off; right now I'm just running on the assumption it simplifies to god = love. We are all moral relativists, that's the nature of zero-state. Zero-state is the absolute. People that claim "absolute morality" speak only in relation to their relative view of god.

Did that cover it?

24-11-2011, 02:45 AM
(24-11-2011 01:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did that cover it?

Yes, but only up to page 7.

~Izel
24-11-2011, 09:50 AM
(23-11-2011 10:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It makes perfect sense to me that having a first "hero" in Sulla, considered by many to be history's greatest villain, that my last "hero" be Kant, a total creature of love and joy.

I'm not "the resurrection of Kant;" that's frickin' absurd. What I do seem to know, however, is how these "past-lives' rumors find homes in the non-critical minds. Patterns of identity, and nothing more.

Being around thirty, having no life, and sitting on my sofa; for sure there was parallel with Sulla. He was doing the same kind of nothing at thirty, when history in the form of Gaius Marius came a knocking on the door.

HoC, why is Sulla considered history's greatest villain? I had always thought he was rather benevolent, being one of history's few dictators to resign and die of natural causes. Unless you think his villainy is attributed to his leading the way for Julius to change the world forever?

Jesus was 30 when he was called off the couch too. Might be something to this reincarnation thing after all.

~Izel
24-11-2011, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 01:14 PM by houseofcantor.)
(24-11-2011 09:50 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  HoC, why is Sulla considered history's greatest villain? I had always thought he was rather benevolent, being one of history's few dictators to resign and die of natural causes. Unless you think his villainy is attributed to his leading the way for Julius to change the world forever?

Jesus was 30 when he was called off the couch too. Might be something to this reincarnation thing after all.
Perhaps you're forgetting that time when he grew sick of everybody's shit and had everybody killed... Big Grin

I mean, it is so long ago that people should be past the "you're justifying the acts of Sulla?!?" stage; research indicates that's not the case. Guy was a complete republican, but after working with the new man Marius; who had a brain and got shit done despite being a country bumpkin, he simply grew sick of the whiny fat cats and their sense of entitlement. When it was civil war - that both he and Marius strove to avoid, and which was caused by the fat cats not heeding the cries of the people - the fat cats holed up and their villas and went, Sulla, save us! And after he did, these same bumblers went back to the Forum, acting as if nothing happened; that they were still entitled to rule the republic. Blocking all of Sulla's plays, acting with the same heavy-handed incompetence that led to civil war in the fist place. So Sulla finally just said enough of this shit.

Then these lists started to appear. If one was on the list, one was a traitor. It's the exact same shit the Treasury department is now doing with the "drug seizure laws" that ain't law but literally terrorism. Anywhoo, Sulla set his house slave in charge of these auctions, where one could go in and fink on his neighbor for a chance to be the low bidder on the neighbor's property. It worked great. The treasury, recently depleted by war, grew fat with the quickness. It wasn't so great for the forty thousand or so that got themselves killed, but what many historians overlook is the fact that nearly everybody on the list was put there by their greedy contemporaries. Sulla knew exactly what he was doing. When the prescription lists stopped, the house slave was one of the richest peeps in Rome, and the Senate was full of yes-men. He then spent the next ten years rewriting the laws from scratch before retiring. And when he did retire, there wasn't shit that happened in the known world without somebody getting "volunteered" to go clear it with the old man at party central. Big Grin

Sulla was most likely "insane" as we define the term, but neither evil nor without compassion. It was his fondness for Aurelia that allowed the boy Julius to escape with his life.

Oh! And another part of the affinity between him and a boy named ellen; it is most likely he dressed up as a girl to perform with the actors who were the main companions of his youth, and that he had both aspects of gender in his psyche as he was probably bisexual. Wink