i, Kant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2011, 02:26 PM
RE: i, Kant
Obviously, I know more about Sulla than Kant. I'm not here saying I know everything, I'm saying I may have a naive perspective of a formal philosophy that illustrates the reality of meme as noumenon - and anybody that wants to argue differently will aid in my education. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Is this a significant clue to who really lies behind the masque of ellenjanuary? Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Thanks for the Sulla update. I must have skipped that chapter of Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-11-2011, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 06:16 PM by houseofcantor.)
I believe it was '94 when I began reading McCullough's First Man in Rome series; the origin of the Sulla affinity. In December of 95, I found myself homeless in San Diego, where many hours were spent in the public library sifting through any works I could find of the period. From a strictly "amateur historian" perspective, I found McCullough's personification of Sulla to be "spot on."

Of course, I am biased by the patterning of identity; and also by a lack of rigor in my research. But if I do find myself an "old man of leisure," it has long been a consideration of mine that the story of Lucius Sulla would get another telling.

Cause the cat is just bad-ass. Like walking into Jugurtha's camp with nothing but attitude, and doing what armies failed to do; or that one time, in the civil war I'm thinking, when he had his troops dig swimming pools. And all his peeps were playing in the pools, having a grand old time, and the opposition troops were sweating balls. And he told his centurions, go invite those cats over, they look hot...

When it came time to fight, the opposition's troops remembered the camaraderie, and said "fuck that;" victory by swimming pool, was that episode. Big Grin

As I said, I'm no professional historian; but Sulla is quite likely one of history's greatest generals, and it was all natural talent developed from an affinity for the stage. I.E. knowing people and what motivates them.

That he was largely "forgotten" by a history that only saw the negative is the kinda thing that makes the modern proscription of "fink for profit" seem like a "necessary evil" in crime prevention; yet Sulla clearly illustrates where such a trend heads - totalitarian dictatorship - and yeah, we ain't got many peeps with the quality of character of a Sulla, Cincinnatus, or even a Julius that we wanna get behind with such a play...

As for Kant, yeah, that's how I roll. I am "insane" in that "I'm always wrong and my Gwynnies is always right," but this perspective is great for learning stuff and not taking shit personally. Wink

(Just a curiosity - Then, Plutarch tells us, Sylla,'' when he wrote in Greek or in response to their requests, gave himself the title of Epaphroditus, and in our country, and his name is written on his trophies: Lucius Cornelius Sylla Epaphroditus '' . Thus, in Greek, Lucius Cornelius he wrote probably his own name''''Sylla.

Finally, over time, in Latin,''syllable''became a word synonymous with debauched and effeminate. ~from Lucius Cornelius Sylla (a French site)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Syllable, huh? Pretty cool.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post