i am michael

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 09:01 AM
i am michael
Xy was one of my favorite magazines when i was a teen and had a huge impact on me. I am about halfway through the movie and don't know if i will be able to finish it. I hate christianity more every second of this movie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2017, 09:12 AM
RE: i am michael
Context mate, context. I had to google "I Am Micheal" to find out it's a movie, and a recent one at that.

Sounds like a confusing movie to make, and from what I've read of the reviews it's not so "black/White" either, IE it's not about gay bashing or anything like that, just a choice a man makes about himself....which might alienate a few people.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
27-07-2017, 09:31 AM
(27-07-2017 09:12 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Context mate, context. I had to google "I Am Micheal" to find out it's a movie, and a recent one at that.

Sounds like a confusing movie to make, and from what I've read of the reviews it's not so "black/White" either, IE it's not about gay bashing or anything like that, just a choice a man makes about himself....which might alienate a few people.
So the guy was a former editor at xy which was a gay youth magazine. He ended up breaking up with his boyfriend and going full fundie christian. The movie is his story and what drove him to it. I understand his reasoning. Fear of going to hell, the desire to be reconnected with his parents, problems with his boyfriends, guilt, the desire to fit in. The power of brainwashing from his childhood. This movie is done really well, it just makes me hate christianity so much.
27-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Christianity is generally "not cool", especially when it comes to LGBT issues.

The only thing I will say is that, there are those that generally are religious and gay, and because of the supposed teachings of the bible feel ashamed of themselves and their existence. Whilst being gay or straight obviously is NOT a choice in any realm, those that "decide" to become straight do so of their own accord, (As a side not, I supposed that technically would make them Bi-sexual? But I know it's not as clear cut as that), and feel 'better' for doing so, as otherwise they feel the whole world is persecuting them for being who they are. I;ve read blog posts of religious gay men begging god to "make them straight", because they don't fully understand their own sexuality and that religion isn't the be all end all of life.

Sad times all round. I might check out the movie itself, although anything to do with sexual intolerance, be it about religion or not, tends to piss me off a little bit. I watched a documentary last night about a chap in the 50's who was openly gay, and was sent to prison, as it was against the law back then. It also featured some chaps who had lived through that era talking about the social thought process at the time and the supposed "treatments" they gave you as well. The point of it was to show that, despite it taking another 10 or more years, little things did change all through this one guy speaking up that being gay is just like being striaght....you are just attracted to the same sex, and that was taken into consideration.

Anyway, I'm waffling! Never mind, good stuff, will check the movie!

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
27-07-2017, 10:00 AM
As i said the movie was good it has zachary quinto(spock). As to the bi label, i identify as gay because it makes peoples head explode less depending on the time of day i am usually a 4 or 5 on the Kinsey scale which is a more accurate way to measure sexuality. The thing is if doing that makes michael happy than whatever. I don't think it is though, he completely reputiated his past which leads me to believe its something psychology deeper. He didn't just become a Christian but an anti gay Christian preacher.

Did you see the alan turing movie?