i don't get it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 07:16 AM
i don't get it
Hey every one i need help with understanding something that has weighing heavily on my mind recently and i comes in the form of four questions:

If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

If religion brings peace, why have so many wars through out history been over religious differences? Not just between different religions either. Different sects of Christianity and Islam fight each other all the time.

If religion brings morality, why are so many people murdered in the name of god every year?

If religion brings acceptance, why are those who disagree rejected?

i honestly don't get it. please help me understand!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 07:26 AM
RE: i don't get it
When you find out let me know because I don't get it either. But I love to use these arguments against Christians who follow the bible blindly. A few weeks ago my Aunt commented about something I posted on fb about being atheist. I gave her my "I could never be involved in something with such a murderous and bloody past" speal. She never did respond nor has she spoken to me since.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
28-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Because bitches be crazy, that's why.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post
28-07-2013, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 07:52 AM by houseofcantor.)
What's to get? Motherfuckers come up with stupid shit and add "the seal of god" to give it legitimacy. Dodgy

And! There is two converging vectors. People of simple faith who believe in something greater than themselves (my Gwynnies! Heart ), and people who use such concerns to control the masses. I differentiate between faith and religion in such a manner. Faith is part of the human condition, but religion can go the way of the dinosaur. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 06:01 PM
(28-07-2013 07:16 AM)Relic of the Darkling Wrote:  If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

If religion brings peace, why have so many wars through out history been over religious differences? Not just between different religions either. Different sects of Christianity and Islam fight each other all the time.

If religion brings morality, why are so many people murdered in the name of god every year?

Religion wasn't meant teach morals or ethics. It was never intended to. It is intended to teach obedience to authority. Most of the old world gods were described as jealous, angry, vengeful, selfish and merciful only to those that do their bidding.

The Abrahamic god as described in the bible is an amoral entity at best, and obedience to him is the only thing truly important, this is not hidden in the bible it is explicit. A righteous person is not a person that is necessarily good, just someone that follows god's wishes/commandments which is not the same thing.

Right at the beginning of the bible god puts the "Tree of the knowledge of good & evil". Now Eve hasn't even sinned yet, but the mere existence of such a tree suggests that evil already existed either created directly or at least allowed by god. The first sin Eve committed was disobedience to god's will.

What is the lesson taught by the story of Abraham & Isaac? That you do what god tells you even if you know it is wrong. Abraham was doing gods bidding, knew that it was wrong as evidenced by the fact that he lies to his son as to the nature of the sacrifice. God seems to know it was wrong because he stopped it a the last minute. The test was the make sure that Abraham would do ANYTHING god asked even things he knew were wrong.

What is the only unforgiveable sin? Not accepting Jesus as your savior, you could be the most evil bastard on the face of the earth, but accept Jesus as your lord and you get to heaven.
Give all your money to charity, cure cancer, bring peace to the world, not a Christian? Sorry to hell with you pal.

I think my wife is dealing with this moral conflict even now, as I listen to her conversations with her family.She loves and knows I am a good man, but her faith tells her I will not be able to join her in heaven.

Why are religions & sects fighting with each other? Because they are run by humans and they are fighting for control of as many people as they can, an obedient "flock" is where churches get their true power and they know it.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
29-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see
He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity
He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
30-07-2013, 02:26 PM
If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

*Trusting Christ does bring enlightenment and teaches the faithful to harmonize the Bible with science.

*Which current non-demoninational (born again) sects are killing who, now? Religion brought division in Jesus's day, even in Israel, and does so still. Yes.

*Religion doesn't bring or force morality but underscores immorality. Speaking as someone who isn't a biblical Christian, where did you learn that murder is "bad"?

*Real Christians not only tolerate, but devote time, money and energy to the lost. I would not reject you for what you've done or who you are, nor would Christ. If you choose to reject His gift, you've rejected God and not vice versa.
30-07-2013, 02:32 PM
(28-07-2013 07:16 AM)Relic of the Darkling Wrote:  Hey every one i need help with understanding something that has weighing heavily on my mind recently and i comes in the form of four questions:

1-If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

2-If religion brings peace, why have so many wars through out history been over religious differences? Not just between different religions either. Different sects of Christianity and Islam fight each other all the time.

3-If religion brings morality, why are so many people murdered in the name of god every year?

4-If religion brings acceptance, why are those who disagree rejected?

I've been on a mood to role play for some time now. So allow me to fulfill this need by role playing a christian Techgorilla.

Christian Techgorilla:

1- We do not reject evidence. We embrace the evidence of god in all things. We see his evidence everywhere and we embrace it.

2- War and disagreement are brought by man's sinful nature. We let ourselves be brought down by the temptation of the devil. You will never see a truly pious man fighting a war in the name of his savior.

3- Again, this things are brought by our sinful nature and our weakness to the devil's temptation.

4- We do not reject this people. But you must understand that this people are inherently evil. And we reject the sin in them. Only through the grace of god can you become free of sin. And thus only true Christians are worthy of acceptance.

Atheist Techgorilla: -_- You are frustrating Christian Techgorilla.
30-07-2013, 02:58 PM
(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

*Trusting Christ does bring enlightenment and teaches the faithful to harmonize the Bible with science.

Science doesn't have to and should not seek to 'harmonize' with anything but itself.

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings peace, why have so many wars through out history been over religious differences? Not just between different religions either. Different sects of Christianity and Islam fight each other all the time.

*Which current non-demoninational (born again) sects are killing who, now? Religion brought division in Jesus's day, even in Israel, and does so still. Yes.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Catholicism but since you asked... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aborti...ce#Murders

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings morality, why are so many people murdered in the name of god every year?

*Religion doesn't bring or force morality but underscores immorality. Speaking as someone who isn't a biblical Christian, where did you learn that murder is "bad"?

Pretty sure there are a whole bunch of draconian laws in that there book you guys like to quote...

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings acceptance, why are those who disagree rejected?

*Real Christians not only tolerate, but devote time, money and energy to recruitment. I would not reject you for what you've done or who you are, nor would Christ. If you choose to reject our authority, you've rejected God and not vice versa.

There I fixed it for you.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
09-09-2013, 07:35 PM
(30-07-2013 02:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings enlightenment, why do the faithful reject evidence in favor of belief in a book written thousands of years ago?

Science doesn't have to and should not seek to 'harmonize' with anything but itself.

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings peace, why have so many wars through out history been over religious differences? Not just between different religions either. Different sects of Christianity and Islam fight each other all the time.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Catholicism but since you asked... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aborti...ce#Murders

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings morality, why are so many people murdered in the name of god every year?

Pretty sure there are a whole bunch of draconian laws in that there book you guys like to quote...

(30-07-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If religion brings acceptance, why are those who disagree rejected?

*Real Christians not only tolerate, but devote time, money and energy to recruitment. I would not reject you for what you've done or who you are, nor would Christ. If you choose to reject our authority, you've rejected God and not vice versa.

There I fixed it for you.

I could not have said it better

Assume nothing, Question everything
Assumptions build barriers, Questions break them down