i freaked out a BIT today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 02:10 AM by Dworkin.)
RE: i freaked out a BIT today
Hi Jewelarcher,

SYZ has mentioned an anxiety disorder, and I did have the same thought reading your OP. The structure of the thinking process is quite similar.

Of course that could be off base, its just a possibility.

Maybe religions deal in anxiety? I have often suspected that it is some kind of sales ploy to sign people up. You tell people that the word is all scary and f***** up and then sell them Jesus (or Trump! Gasp )

I hope your upsetting thoughts pass quickly.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Hi Jewelarcher,

I would like to kindly disagree with the notion of you having an actual anxiety disorder. Because that would be a mental illness and I don't think you are mentally ill when it comes to this. You have been indoctrinated, brainwashed, and raised to think in certain ways and I am 100% sure that the more time you give it and the more you speak to people about it and the more you educate yourself, those panic attacks will become lesser and lesser until they are only worries and eventually become occasional thoughts and memories without a role in your life.
That is how it was with me. I am not coming from Christianity but I had just as many deep fears that made me feel completely nuts when I lost my faith. So from experience I can only say, keep talking to people (here or in real life if you know fellow atheists and freethinkers), keep bouncing your fears off a another person to see what they think about it, and logic yourself out of it every time you see that the panic comes back.

Here is a strategy that helped me back when I was suicidal. When things were good, I kept making notes and when things were bad I kept looking at my notes. It helped me and I hope it helps you too.
This can be amended for your situation too.
You can set up some kind of note book or white board or a wall with post-it notes, where you make notes every time you find a new explanation for something or a reason why something didn't make sense back then. And in your case I would start right at your preachers lectures. About the beast and the end times. Do your logic and reason work, write it down in bullet points and put it somewhere you can access easily. So the only thing you have to think about when you get in the panicky state "I have to look at my white board" / "I have to look in my note book". And whatever you are fearing in that moment is answered in there and you can trust it because you put work in and answered it yourself. You answered all your "but" and "what if" as well. This way you can trust and reason with yourself and hopefully get out of the panic attack that way.
Because at that point, when you read back to yourself why your fear is not based on any logic or reason, you will be able to realize that it is based on triggers that make you have an emotion and you can follow that line of thought back and identify who specifically is the reason of you feeling this way nowadays. It is not to make you angry in exchange of scared. Rather it is to make you an observer, take a step back, and give you the peace of mind that "yes I am allowing myself to go through the motions but I know where it is coming from and it will get better over time because this is now in the past".
Ok I sound like a therapist at this point but That is really what helped me (without a therapist, I just had my own internal arguments really) and I hope it helps you as well.

Another thing, that I learnt in therapy back then was something they called "ressources". So not only to be aware of yourself and the things that might (in your case) trigger a panic attack but also to find things in your life that might help you. Maybe you have a simple hobby, for example playing an instrument or walking your dog. Something that can snap you out of it, you know.
Well if you would like to talk about ressources, we can probably go in depth via pm as I don't wanna derail the thread here completely. But I am sure we can brainstorm together and find things that will help you. Just an offer, no pressure.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
03-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Left Behind. God Awful Movies. Try it, it may help.

http://godawfulmovies.libsyn.com/2015/09

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
03-09-2016, 01:09 PM
I posted this link before, for someone else (maybe for you, too). It should help.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/
05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
thanks for the links everyone.
they are helpful. i have been going back and forth between them in spare time.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
05-09-2016, 08:12 PM
(05-09-2016 07:28 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  thanks for the links everyone.

Hug Hope they help. The big thing is to get other memes in your head to counteract those crazy ones that got drilled into you. The more you do this, the better your life will be. Thumbsup I had already gotten over being Catholic by the time I found the http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ site. It's kind of funny- when I mentioned it to my second son, he said he didn't need that sort of thing. In actuality, my sons didn't get religion pounded into them like it was for me. I always asked them what they thought when they were watching crazy shit on TV, not realizing that I was probably spoiling the programmed messages in the programs they were watching. I'll take the credit, the same as I'll take a ball of the correct color falling in a pocket in a pool game in a bar (which I haven't done in about 30 years).
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-09-2016, 08:51 AM
(05-09-2016 08:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 07:28 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  thanks for the links everyone.

Hug Hope they help. The big thing is to get other memes in your head to counteract those crazy ones that got drilled into you. The more you do this, the better your life will be. Thumbsup I had already gotten over being Catholic by the time I found the http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ site. It's kind of funny- when I mentioned it to my second son, he said he didn't need that sort of thing. In actuality, my sons didn't get religion pounded into them like it was for me. I always asked them what they thought when they were watching crazy shit on TV, not realizing that I was probably spoiling the programmed messages in the programs they were watching. I'll take the credit, the same as I'll take a ball of the correct color falling in a pocket in a pool game in a bar (which I haven't done in about 30 years).

I started using Pinterest to search for athiest memes too. There's some funny ones, quotes, and pretty serious ones. Since I have the app on my phone it makes it easy to find them in a moment of fear.
06-09-2016, 11:00 AM
(01-09-2016 10:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I found it amusing to read what you wrote because I came from the same religious tradition, with the "mark of the beast" and all the associated End Times™ fearmongering... but the names you put in there (Obama, Hillary) weren't an issue 30 years ago when I was in that world, and they were selling the same story, so it struck me as hilarious to see that they just keep updating the "IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, PEOPLE! LOOK!!" story every time the last set of prophecies-of-doom fail to pan out.

*sigh*

I don't mean to make light of your emotional scarring. I simply find it amusing that they haven't even updated their playbook, just the names they've filled in on the blanks, like some Apocalyptics MadLibs™ workbook.

The saddest part is every time they are proven wrong there isn't even a hint of an apology to those whom they have duped. No oops we bwtter check the facts and find out what happened, nope, just grab a ne person to name and forge forward the same way they have been doing for a couple of thousand years.