i got my sister and her husband thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2015, 09:14 AM
RE: i got my sister and her husband thinking
(02-07-2015 03:53 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 07:21 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Are you versed on apologetics? If not, read about them as that is coming.

Please explain.

What I was getting at is that if they look into the "support" for the christian side (which, to be fair, they should), they will inevitably come across apologetic arguments (i.e. Kalam, Ontological, ID, etc.). If you aren't familiar with these already, I would familiarize yourself with them and know the logical/evidence problems they have.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2015, 09:46 AM
(01-07-2015 09:40 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I went over to see my sister she owes me money and she did my nails for some of it since she went to school to be a nail tech. So anyway we all got to talking and I explained the facts about the bible and quoted the bible as well. All the evil parts. And they both said they wanted to do research for themselves. It went very well and they agreed with me on lots of points. Brother in law told me to send him some links. So he is genuinely interested. So excited. All I wanted was for them to think for themselves.

Keep us posted. Moments in enlightenment are always interesting to me. I've been slowly getting my wife to understand. VERY slowly. I've challenged her to show me proof of her god. And i would convert hold hardly. Undeniable proof, and I would have join her church. She hasn't found anything. (Nor do i think she's tried) But conversations about what I think about different matters are becoming more frequent.

When Chris Jenner went threw his transformation, she asked me "Why do you think God make's people not happy in their own skin?" She bit her tongue after words forgetting who she was asking.
My reply "God had no hand in it. Our brains are not perfect machines. Sometimes people are born blind, sometimes their born missing an arm, and sometimes they feel like the opposite sex. What matters is that someone is comfortable for who they are, when dealing with these anomalies."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
(03-07-2015 09:14 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 03:53 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Please explain.

What I was getting at is that if they look into the "support" for the christian side (which, to be fair, they should), they will inevitably come across apologetic arguments (i.e. Kalam, Ontological, ID, etc.). If you aren't familiar with these already, I would familiarize yourself with them and know the logical/evidence problems they have.

I have read some but I did warn them to male sure what they are reading is sound and not what someone wants to spin it to their way of thinking
05-07-2015, 04:24 AM
The "counter-arguments" (which are usually nothing of the sort) from Apologists often truly infuriate me, when I point out Biblical problems with my friends who are True Believers ™.

When they come back with BS arguments that they should have seen right through before even offering them to me, and it places the onus on me to explain to them why it's not actually a counter argument, it's usually all I can do to keep from screaming at them "do your own homework before you bring me a counter argument this bad!!"

(e.g. "Oh, no, Job was fine because in the end he had a whole new family and lots of children." "Yes, but there's still that whole pesky holiday every year for the rest of his life where he has to remember the day where his extensive family was brutally murdered as part of a bet someone took with God, and he saw their mangled bodies. You can't *replace* a child!")

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-07-2015, 09:32 AM
(05-07-2015 04:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The "counter-arguments" (which are usually nothing of the sort) from Apologists often truly infuriate me, when I point out Biblical problems with my friends who are True Believers ™.

When they come back with BS arguments that they should have seen right through before even offering them to me, and it places the onus on me to explain to them why it's not actually a counter argument, it's usually all I can do to keep from screaming at them "do your own homework before you bring me a counter argument this bad!!"

(e.g. "Oh, no, Job was fine because in the end he had a whole new family and lots of children." "Yes, but there's still that whole pesky holiday every year for the rest of his life where he has to remember the day where his extensive family was brutally murdered as part of a bet someone took with God, and he saw their mangled bodies. You can't *replace* a child!")

And you also know that if the koran had a similar story, they would be horrified. I have actually heard a christian say that Mohammed was a war monger. Really? And YHWY isn't?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post