i need Anxiety help :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
i need Anxiety help :(
i have terrible anxiety issues but i dont wanna take meds. Is there anyway i can cope with my anxiety (I have extremly bad anxiety)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
RE: i need Anxiety help :(
Have a break from smoking weed.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Try therapy?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Both of the above.

It's no secret here that I am an advocate of medicinal cannabis, but the fact is that it can greatly aggrivate anxiety, especially in young people, and people that are not also seeking therapy. If you have anxiety, and feel that weed could help, discuss it with your health professional. They know best. Otherwise, it's doing you more harm than good.

Most importantly, like sy said, go talk to someone. As much as we all care about you, you need to see someone who can have a direct conversation with you, and that has the training to assess and treat your problem.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-11-2011, 04:35 PM
(10-11-2011 04:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Both of the above.

It's no secret here that I am an advocate of medicinal cannabis, but the fact is that it can greatly aggrivate anxiety, especially in young people, and people that are not also seeking therapy. If you have anxiety, and feel that weed could help, discuss it with your health professional. They know best. Otherwise, it's doing you more harm than good.

Most importantly, like sy said, go talk to someone. As much as we all care about you, you need to see someone who can have a direct conversation with you, and that has the training to assess and treat your problem.

Infinite apologies if this derails the thread but... I didn't know weed could cause anxiety. I have to say I don't have much experience with it simply because I tried it, didn't see what all the fuss was about, and gave it up Smile
But it seemed to me the effect was calming and mellowing, not anxiety provoking?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Not a derail at all. In fact it's a good thing to bring up since it may help explain why weed may be a poor choice right now.

Basically there are two types of cannabis. Sativa and indica. There are also hundreds of crosses that mix the two. The jist is that one type (sativa) gets you high (as in head-high) and the other (indica) gets you stoned (as in body-stone). The high causes the commonly experienced paranoia and anxiety, while the stone causes the mellow cough-lock. Most of what you buy on the streets is a mix, but it's geared towards a heavy harvest (cash crop) and to be potent (regardless of the effects). The way to get the right strain, whether you use it for recreation or medicine, is to get it from a knowledgable, well educated grower.

Example: I have a patient come to me with cancer. This patients is undergoing agressive chemo, and has been prescribed marijuana ta alleiviate the terrible side effects. As a grower, I must asess not only the symptoms we wish to treat (nausia, pain, lack of appetite, insomnia, just to rattle off a few) but ALSO I must asess other factors that may be affected by marijuana. Those factors could include depression, anxiety, and a litany of others. Then we find a strain that has the appropriate levels of cannabinoids so we can treat the side effects of chemo without agrivating any other issues the patient may have.

So you see, treating weed like a medicine is very different than as a recreational drug. If you are self medicating with pot, but are unaware of the affects that the product you are using will have, it can be like taking aspirin to heal a severed limb.

[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
(10-11-2011 04:48 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Not a derail at all. In fact it's a good thing to bring up since it may help explain why weed may be a poor choice right now.

Basically there are two types of cannabis. Sativa and indica. There are also hundreds of crosses that mix the two. The jist is that one type (sativa) gets you high (as in head-high) and the other (indica) gets you stoned (as in body-stone). The high causes the commonly experienced paranoia and anxiety, while the stone causes the mellow cough-lock. Most of what you buy on the streets is a mix, but it's geared towards a heavy harvest (cash crop) and to be potent (regardless of the effects). The way to get the right strain, whether you use it for recreation or medicine, is to get it from a knowledgable, well educated grower.

Example: I have a patient come to me with cancer. This patients is undergoing agressive chemo, and has been prescribed marijuana ta alleiviate the terrible side effects. As a grower, I must asess not only the symptoms we wish to treat (nausia, pain, lack of appetite, insomnia, just to rattle off a few) but ALSO I must asess other factors that may be affected by marijuana. Those factors could include depression, anxiety, and a litany of others. Then we find a strain that has the appropriate levels of cannabinoids so we can treat the side effects of chemo without agrivating any other issues the patient may have.

So you see, treating weed like a medicine is very different than as a recreational drug. If you are self medicating with pot, but are unaware of the affects that the product you are using will have, it can be like taking aspirin to heal a severed limb.

Many thanks for your detailed explanation. I thought the main active compound of weed was THC, and that was responsible for all the effects (both mental and physical) of weed. Is it not the case?

10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
(10-11-2011 10:16 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  i have terrible anxiety issues but i dont wanna take meds. Is there anyway i can cope with my anxiety (I have extremly bad anxiety)

One need s to be very carefull advising on this topic.

i suffered from depression on and off, and anxiety for decades but am much better now.
As for hashish, tried it a several years ages ago, where they grew it out the bush some way from way where i lived. Laughed a bit once, but nothing special; never saw those nature spirits they talked about. Just as well as I has a 30k drive home.

It depends a lot on your age, but i took benzos for decades; they can have serious problems, particularly long withdrawal, even worse than heroin in terms of duration.
I still take a very small amount of diazepam but am not making a recommendation.

Cognitive therapy is a good method that helped me a lot.

Good luck.Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
10-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Sy,

we may be getting into `derail`territory here, so I started a new thread to discuss it:

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...bis-Thread

10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I can occasionally hit the snag of excessive anxiety. When I was a kid it came from confidence issues. I still get the rare hit but I can always overcome it now. I learned early on the root of my anxiety and circumnavigated it by thinking to myself that the worst that would happen was my anxiety. Therefor there was no sense stressing about it. It works for me. Might not work for you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Depression/Anxiety Thread Erxomai 280 14,823 04-05-2014 11:07 AM
Last Post: Leo
  Social Anxiety and Alcoholism GodlessnFree 6 618 26-03-2013 12:23 PM
Last Post: CaffinatedPuppy
  Anxiety Disorders? NewScotlandBlues 17 2,363 16-09-2011 10:55 PM
Last Post: Monk
  depression, social anxiety, and unemployment 13mentaculus 14 3,864 25-03-2011 10:37 PM
Last Post: 13mentaculus