iam newbie here..!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 09:22 PM
RE: iam newbie here..!!!!
I may sound naive but what is a 'bot's' purpose? (I get that it's spam but what else?)

Signed
Dumb-arse aurora Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2012, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 03:38 AM by DeepThought.)
(23-05-2012 09:22 PM)aurora Wrote:  I may sound naive but what is a 'bot's' purpose? (I get that it's spam but what else?)

Signed
A bot makes spamming practical. Given the low chance of actually making any actual money with the spam it would be too expensive to hire a human to do it.

Bots only require someone to write the software for the various forums and social network platforms (facebook/twitter/youtube/google+/etc) then it only needs a computer with internet access to spread bullshit everywhere.

It's kindof an evolutionary arms race. They improve their spamming tools, we improve our filtering procedure. Reminds me of the arms-race/cold-war that Russia had to retreat from before their economy completely collapsed... Ironic since allot of spam originates in Russia!

Congrats FSM - you managed to pass!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
24-05-2012, 04:44 AM
(24-05-2012 03:35 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(23-05-2012 09:22 PM)aurora Wrote:  I may sound naive but what is a 'bot's' purpose? (I get that it's spam but what else?)

Signed
A bot makes spamming practical. Given the low chance of actually making any actual money with the spam it would be too expensive to hire a human to do it.

Bots only require someone to write the software for the various forums and social network platforms (facebook/twitter/youtube/google+/etc) then it only needs a computer with internet access to spread bullshit everywhere.

It's kindof an evolutionary arms race. They improve their spamming tools, we improve our filtering procedure. Reminds me of the arms-race/cold-war that Russia had to retreat from before their economy completely collapsed... Ironic since allot of spam originates in Russia!

Congrats FSM - you managed to pass!
Thanks for the clarification Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I can't see the point in spam, unless your goal is to annoy people. I can't think of any site that allows it. They end up deleted and no one clicking the link anyway. They can't possible make any money from it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]