if Christians...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 07:14 AM
RE: if Christians...
(07-04-2012 02:55 AM)Intellectualreasoning Wrote:  If Christians actually read the bible they'd be atheists. Do you agree with this statement? Thoughts?

It looks good in print, but sadly it is not this simple in real life. You have so many degrees of gnosticism and agnosticism as to make subjects like this more about what shade of gray you are as opposed to a logical one or zero answer.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 07:18 AM
There's a lot of people who listen to others only to be sure that they are heard when they speak. Same thing here... like Egor. Tongue

Premise is fail

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Although I haven't read it cover to cover, I know most of the "bad" versus and it has little effect on my theism.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Its how I became an atheist, but some people can actually justify unicorns, dragons, genocide, ect.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah it doesn't really work.

There are two types of people and all reading the bible from one end to the other does is separate them.

The first group isn't interested in reality, they'd much rather deal with the custom version.
The second group reads the bible and looks around them, then looks back at the bible... then closes the bible forever ruling it as horseshit.

I think that's more what Penn meant when he said that the easiest way to make an atheist is to have them read the bible.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
(07-04-2012 12:05 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah it doesn't really work.

There are two types of people and all reading the bible from one end to the other does is separate them.

The first group isn't interested in reality, they'd much rather deal with the custom version.
The second group reads the bible and looks around them, then looks back at the bible... then closes the bible forever ruling it as horseshit.

I think that's more what Penn meant when he said that the easiest way to make an atheist is to have them read the bible.
It's the Emperor's New Clothes.

If you want to see beauty (whether through preconceived ideas, upbringing, or terror of being the outsider), then you will see gold brocade and ermine.

If you don't, then you see some fat guy in his underwear.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Well... I'll say this... grew up going to sunday schools and learning that jesus is love and the whole miracle of god, yada yada yada.... It wasn't long before I started questioning the logic behind all the stuff and became Agnostic. It wasn't untill after I had actually read the whole bible, cover to cover, that I came to realize that god was a fictionous evil character and hence I became an Atheist.
Because if there was a supreme all powerful, perfect god that existed... in no way would it inspire the group of people that wrote such a fucked up book.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Daniel Dennett is releasing a new book soon about preachers who have lost their faith (through education) but they are invested into religion (job, family, friends, etc) and are trapped.
He explores the fact that seminary school often turns some atheist.
See the folowing article:
http://www.albertmohler.com/2010/03/18/c...e-pastors/

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Wink RE: if Christians...
You have to be a little open minded to see the hypocrisy. E.g. Leviticus goes on about how incest is wrong (which no doubt is) and through out the bible there is many instances of incest in the bible. Each book has a different message and some conflict others, as atheists we all understand this. A book that you base you morals off that doesn't agree with itself isn't a good foundation to base your life on.

REASON! Exclamation
08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Even hitler had followers, why wouldn't people follow a book that's full of murder, genocide and incontinuities?