if beings made contact with earth or visa versa, would that disprove a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2011, 11:55 AM
if beings made contact with earth or visa versa, would that disprove a god?
i always wonder this, if we made contact with extratterestrials would this be more evidence of a Non existance god?

What if they believed in a god also would that be evidence of a god?

/D/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2011, 12:12 PM
RE: if beings made contact with earth or visa versa, would that disprove a god?
The possibility of making contact with an intelligent being is extremely minimal. The shear concept of distances that would need to be covered in order to do so far exceed our technology. And then there is the problem of communication. We can't even communicate effectively with other wild animals so why we would be able to communicate with a completely different group of organisms? The existence of life elsewhere in the universe (no need for it to be anything more than simple single-celled life) would put a serious kink in the logic of the bible but Christians would find a way around. I mean if they can believe that the devil put all of the fossils in the Earth to mess with us then I am sure they will assume the same thing about extraterrestrial life.

Evolve
28-07-2011, 12:18 PM
(28-07-2011 12:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The possibility of making contact with an intelligent being is extremely minimal. The shear concept of distances that would need to be covered in order to do so far exceed our technology. And then there is the problem of communication. We can't even communicate effectively with other wild animals so why we would be able to communicate with a completely different group of organisms? The existence of life elsewhere in the universe (no need for it to be anything more than simple single-celled life) would put a serious kink in the logic of the bible but Christians would find a way around. I mean if they can believe that the devil put all of the fossils in the Earth to mess with us then I am sure they will assume the same thing about extraterrestrial life.

Yeah i should of pointed out that, i was more going for the approach of just finding and knowing instead of along the lines of full commucation with them and if they are evolved or not. It was more of a though then a deeply planned question, its just one of those things that bugs you and you have to ask.
28-07-2011, 12:23 PM
No it wouldn't. What it may do is prove that the bible is fake. I mean what if the aliens were around at the time of the original bible? what if they were the influence that told the liars.. I mean nice men to write it. What if the god they were referencing was them?

Yeah yeah think about that crazy shit.

The idea of god could still be true, although I doubt it. Anyways welcome to the forum.

[Image: ufo1.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Try looking at it this way:
The people who lived the Old Testament often ran into other nations with different gods, and that didn't change their beliefs. They had no contacts with people in China or India or America or Australia. Europeans who read/ edited/ plagiarized/ made up the New Testament knew about the east and Africa, but not yet the Americas. When these various people eventually met, and discovered that they had all different gods, did any of them take it as a sign that they were in error? Stop believing? Naw - they just said, the other guys are wrong, let's kill them or enslave them and take their stuff.

Why should it go any differently on a slightly larger scale?

One of the things i always found funny is that nobody ever seems to wonder why God chose His people from such a little pool.... co-incidentally rejecting the peoples the Hebrews didn't like and ignoring all the peoples the Hebrews didn't know about. Or why, for that matter, He never told them: "Try negotiating peace for a change!"

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
28-07-2011, 05:33 PM
What would happen is that the Christians would claim that God CLEARLY also created the aliens.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-07-2011, 09:01 PM
You have grown adults who find a way to rationalize their belief in things they have never seen nor have proof for and you think aliens are going to fault that shit? Fucking Zeus could come down today hurling bolts n shit and Christians would tell it to his face that he is the work of the devil.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
28-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Funnily enough there was a guy that called into the Atheist Experience a while ago who tried to convince Matt that when(he specifically said when) we meet extraterrestrials they will be wearing crosses and carrying bibles. He went on to explain the judeo-christian god had made the same series of events happen with the aliens xD

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
29-07-2011, 02:37 AM
(28-07-2011 09:04 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  Funnily enough there was a guy that called into the Atheist Experience a while ago who tried to convince Matt that when(he specifically said when) we meet extraterrestrials they will be wearing crosses and carrying bibles. He went on to explain the judeo-christian god had made the same series of events happen with the aliens xD

haha that made me laugh.

Its a sad world where evidence is disregarded at will with basiclly the routine of fingers in the ears, i cant hear you.

I would sently hope it would change the mindsets of those who say theres a god but practise no faith or are tied down to no religion who say they believe because its a commonly expected thing to believe.
I would say Dehist but i mean a everyday person, people around my age 17+ to around 25, the ones who never really think about. If that exists in america, my idea is that is either one or the other over there. The media is always there to lend a helping hand in promoting this.
15-08-2011, 04:21 PM

In his new book, “The Eerie Silence", astrophysicist Paul Davies has a chapter called: “Impact on Religion”.

A few quotes:

“Christianity is the religion most challenged by the concept of extra-terrestrial beings because Christians believe that God became a human being (specifically a Jewish political dissident). Jesus Christ is called the Saviour precisely because he took on human flesh to save humankind. He did not come to save the whales or the dolphins or the gorillas or the chimpanzees, or even the Neanderthals”.

“Well, what does the Church have to say on the matter?…A search of the literature reveals two escape clauses whereby aliens could be saved. The first appeals to multiple incarnations: one saviour for each deserving species. – “God taking on little green flesh to save little green men” was the refreshingly blunt way one Anglican priest expressed it to me. … the other resolution is is to suppose that there is only one incarnation and one saviour, in the form of the terrestrial Jesus Christ, and it is the God-given destiny of mankind to ‘spread the word’ around the universe.”

As you see, theologians are hedging their bets to make sure they will stay on top of the pyramid, should ET really exist.

Nothing that can possibly happen on Earth will shake their belief in their own fallacies.

Reminds me of a joke: A husband arriving home unexpectedly finds his wife in bed with another man. When he confronts her, she asks indignantly: “do you believe me or your eyes?”
Quote this message in a reply