if they read the gospel...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
RE: if they read the gospel...
(01-12-2014 11:37 AM)microterf Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Benjamin Watson is number 82. A little googling and.....yes, yes he does thank god for touchdowns and exceptional plays because god in on his side.

[Image: 10703845_601385006655301_6619085171834653013_n.jpg]

His opponents, therefore, must be not read the gospels.

I think I'm going to have to add him to my fantasy teams. With God on his side there is no way that we can lose. Wink

He backs up Jimmy Graham so you may want to reconsider.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 01:19 PM
(01-12-2014 07:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  This is perhaps a part of the issue, the belief that there is no such thing as "sin", that there is nothing wrong in man's inherent being, that causes him to fall into the grasp of violence and bigotry, and the all the problems arise from external institutions.

The concept of "sin" is vacuous until a god is demonstrated to exist. That doesn't mean that "all problems arise from external institutions" or even that there aren't problems with "man's inherent being" although I wouldn't use that terminology to describe it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
01-12-2014, 02:04 PM
(01-12-2014 07:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope."

I really hate simplistic answers to complex problems. Dodgy The sad thing is all his comments that preceded this last part show that he understands just how complex it is.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
01-12-2014, 02:54 PM
(01-12-2014 12:15 PM)microterf Wrote:  People like yourself are why this country is going downhill. You sell people on the idea that they need "Saved" from themselves.

I think the bigger problem is folks who think no ones needs to be "saved" from themselves, that human nature is just plain rosy, and we should just pat ourselves on the back from time to time to remind ourselves of this. The bigger problem is folks who are out touch with the struggles of the poor and disenfranchised, who think that rationalism and education, and institutional changes, cures manufactured by the state are the solution. I'm not saying you need to be saved, but those who find themselves in the mire of hopelessness, meaningless, hung on the cross of human failure, do need to be saved, redeemed, and brought back into life.

Quote:Throw out your Christian morals, and instead ask yourself before every decision you make, "Will this help someone or hurt someone?" If the answer is that it will help someone, do it, if it will hurt someone, don't do it.

Yes, if only our moral dilemmas was merely about figuring out if something is harmful, or helpful. This just goes to show how out of touch with immorality folks such as yourself are. Moral problems, using your own terminology are lacks of a desire to be helpful at all, are desires to harm, to be indifferent, to be removed from others, to see others as merely means to our own shallow ends. They are not questions about the best means of caring, but whether I should care in the first place.
01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
(01-12-2014 02:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think the bigger problem is folks who think no ones needs to be "saved" from themselves, that human nature is just plain rosy, and we should just pat ourselves on the back from time to time to remind ourselves of this. The bigger problem is folks who are out touch with the struggles of the poor and disenfranchised, who think that rationalism and education, and institutional changes, cures manufactured by the state are the solution. I'm not saying you need to be saved, but those who find themselves in the mire of hopelessness, meaningless, hung on the cross of human failure, do need to be saved, redeemed, and brought back into life.

I don't think he means that life is a walk in the park. And i don't think he said to ignore the poor and disenfranchised either. And FYI, rationalism, education and proper institutional reforms do help the poor. And lastly, hope and meaning in life can be attained without religion. Religion even contributes to hopelessness in some cases.

(01-12-2014 02:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, if only our moral dilemmas was merely about figuring out if something is harmful, or helpful. This just goes to show how out of touch with immorality folks such as yourself are. Moral problems, using your own terminology are lacks of a desire to be helpful at all, are desires to harm, to be indifferent, to be removed from others, to see others as merely means to our own shallow ends. They are not questions about the best means of caring, but whether I should care in the first place.

I disagree. Keeping in mind other people when thinking about our actions is the simplest guide to morality IMHO. Again, no religion required. And again, there are numerous examples of religious immorality. Or more accurately, immorality as a result of religion.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
(01-12-2014 02:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think the bigger problem is folks who think no ones needs to be "saved" from themselves, that human nature is just plain rosy, and we should just pat ourselves on the back from time to time to remind ourselves of this. The bigger problem is folks who are out touch with the struggles of the poor and disenfranchised, who think that rationalism and education, and institutional changes, cures manufactured by the state are the solution. I'm not saying you need to be saved, but those who find themselves in the mire of hopelessness, meaningless, hung on the cross of human failure, do need to be saved, redeemed, and brought back into life.

It's funny that you seem to ignore the fact that through religion all of the institutions and people that "support" the institutions are the ones who lead to the poor and disenfranchised. They use their spreading of Jesus to get the ignorant to follow them and it turns from religious to social and political influences. The best part is that you pray to an imaginary friend who isn't there, yet accuse us of "Patting ourselves on the back." NO, we are about taking responsibility for our OWN actions and developing society as a WHOLE so that everyone is better off. Just as ISIS uses their religious dogma to recruit killers, Christians use theirs to recruit brainwashed morons to push their agenda. The people that feel hopeless, and meaningless need other PEOPLE to help them out, as that is all that ever does. They don't need to give 10% of their money to the church, they don't need to pray to a friend who isn't there. They don't need to be lied to. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, name ONE thing good that religion can give us to help others that we can't do without religion, because I can name a bunch of bad shit it gives us.

Quote:Yes, if only our moral dilemmas was merely about figuring out if something is harmful, or helpful. This just goes to show how out of touch with immorality folks such as yourself are. Moral problems, using your own terminology are lacks of a desire to be helpful at all, are desires to harm, to be indifferent, to be removed from others, to see others as merely means to our own shallow ends. They are not questions about the best means of caring, but whether I should care in the first place.

As I said earlier, ask yourself for EVERY decision you make if it helps or hurts someone. If you take responsibility for every decision you make, small to large, you will make an impact good or bad. If you pray for people, you will NOT. You should care about every living thing on this planet. Actually do stuff that helps them, not hinders them.

The funny thing is that I have been told by at least 4 people (obvious believers) in the last 6 months that I'm "A true man of god."

Now I don't take offense to this, as I know that they don't know any better, and when they say God, it means many different things to them. It means good, love, caring, etc. For us, it means the invisible man in the sky. You see, we all believe in Good, love, caring, and it isn't tied to some being who doesn't exist.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
01-12-2014, 07:30 PM
(01-12-2014 07:00 PM)microterf Wrote:  You should care about every living thing on this planet. Actually do stuff that helps them, not hinders them.

Go ahead, and use this motto as the basis of your new Gospel. Preach it in the halls of every prison system, and every crime ridden ghetto. Call the bloods and crypts, the delinquents, and hoodlums to your alters of moral reform. Hold godless services on Sundays, or Saturdays or Wednesdays, inviting communities to hold hands and sing of their allegiance to caring for the species, for all living things now until tomorrow. Have them plant trees in the dirt by the pavement.

But if you're unwilling to bleed, sweet and die for your Gospel, then you have no business attempting to peddle it.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
01-12-2014, 07:53 PM
(01-12-2014 07:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 07:00 PM)microterf Wrote:  You should care about every living thing on this planet. Actually do stuff that helps them, not hinders them.

Go ahead, and use this motto as the basis of your new Gospel. Preach it in the halls of every prison system, and every crime ridden ghetto. Call the bloods and crypts, the delinquents, and hoodlums to your alters of moral reform. Hold godless services on Sundays, or Saturdays or Wednesdays, inviting communities to hold hands and sing of their allegiance to caring for the species, for all living things now until tomorrow. Have them plant trees in the dirt by the pavement.

But if you're unwilling to bleed, sweet and die for your Gospel, then you have no business attempting to peddle it.
What is better? Praying to a god who won't answer? Telling children lies, and scaring them into believing what you want them to believe because of fear of eternal damnation?! If you live your life to help others, people will see that, and emulate you. You don't have to sell fake stories, as a matter of fact, it hinders progress as shown throughout history.

Do you think that the same people who care about helping people that believe would all of a sudden stop wanting to help people because they realized god isn't real?

Your bible just gives you a nice little cushion to hide behind so you can justify behavior. It has been to justify slavery, murder, rape, oppression. Nothing good from the bible can be done only because of the bible, but a lot of terrible shit has been done because of it that only happened because of it. Show me some proof that there is even the slightest bit of real evidence to believe in your god, and i'll give it some thought. Until then, go read your bible. I have. You might learn something.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
01-12-2014, 08:07 PM
(01-12-2014 07:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

You seem unable to think of a worldview outside of your "gospel". We do not need to bleed or die for our worldview. We live it, to show people that it is possible to go through each of our lives without being detrimental to others. As more and more people see this, realize that it is indeed possible and live it themselves the world will increasingly be a better place to live.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
01-12-2014, 08:15 PM
(01-12-2014 07:53 PM)microterf Wrote:  Do you think that the same people who care about helping people that believe would all of a sudden stop wanting to help people because they realized god isn't real?

No, I don't think that.

Quote:Your bible just gives you a nice little cushion to hide behind so you can justify behavior. It has been to justify slavery, murder, rape, oppression. Nothing good from the bible can be done only because of the bible

I don't believe morality comes from some book written thousands of years ago, if it did than we'd all be in trouble, but rather that it lives within the human heart, that we are meant for it, obligated to it, groans in the direction of the only true and meaningful sense of life. And those who refuse to see morality along these line, who see it as mere decorative frills of personal opinion, lack a moral backbone.