if you're an atheist, ask me all your questions post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: if you're an atheist, ask me all your questions post
show him this Smile

[Image: 10qlzie.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
(09-12-2014 09:21 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  show him this Smile

[Image: 10qlzie.jpg]

[Image: sl2gzO8.jpg]

[Image: 1956924-you_ve_won_the_internet.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Re: if you're an atheist, ask me all your questions post
What's up with the platypus?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
09-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Quote:Revelation 14:4-5New International Version (NIV)

4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

Why is there so much focus on the chastity of women? Doesn't this verse make it sound like male virgins are the ones to inherit the kingdom of God and be his sex slaves forever and ever amen?

Of a side note, I find the use of the word defile curious in this context.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-12-2014, 11:10 AM
(09-12-2014 11:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

Why is there so much focus on the chastity of women? Doesn't this verse make it sound like male virgins are the ones to inherit the kingdom of God and be his sex slaves forever and ever amen?

I always appreciate being defiled. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2014, 11:13 AM
(09-12-2014 11:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

I got it. The hating of homosexuals and this verse add up. Yawhew him self is a homosexual, but he is in denial about his homosexuality. Let it out god, it is okay to be gay. Thumbsup

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Christians often support political causes based on how they individually or collectively interpret Scripture, resulting in the passage of policies passing which would otherwise not have passed or policies enduring far beyond when they would otherwise have been eliminated. Which of the following, interpreted at various times in history by significant numbers of Christians to be supported by Scripture, do you support?

Slavery
Prohibition
Abortion Bans
Feudalism
Dowry
Polygamy
Established Churches
Intelligent Design in Schools
Bans on Recreational Drug Use
Segregation
Opposition to Women Working
Denial of Woman's Suffrage
Advancement of Woman's Suffrage
Subjugation of Non-Whites
Charity and Equality for Non-Whites
Pogroms of Jewish Communities
Conquest of the Holy Land
Divine Right of Monarchy
Freedom of Women to Have Sex Outside of Marriage
Freedom of Men to Beat their Wives and Children
Censorship
Second-Class Citizenship and Persecution of Homosexuals
Banning Celebration of Christmas
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Thank you all, I just put all the questions as well as some videos in an email to him. I'll post as soon as I hear back from him.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
(09-12-2014 11:49 AM)microterf Wrote:  Thank you all, I just put all the questions as well as some videos in an email to him. I'll post as soon as I hear back from him.

How old is your cousin? Are we talking teenager or adult here?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Look I'm kind of feeling sorry for your friend here. Some of these questions aren't fair and quite frankly given what we know today about our observable universe, any attempt to explain away some of these would be cruel to witness.

Honestly I think it should be him asking the questions.

In about 10 years or so it is my opinion that he will be in the minority as it pertains to believers and non-believers. Keep in mind; however, my perception of this is utterly one of disbelief from all angles. I don't believe in Gods. I don't believe in spirits. I can't even believe there are actually people in this day and age who still subscribe to polytheistic religions. I scratch my head in disbelief all of the time and have to do my best to understand this phenomenon. I certainly don't feel like asking him any questions.

My open letter to your friend,

Hello friend. The supernatural was conjured up to explain otherwise unexplained phenomena in our world. We now understand this today. We were ignorant throughout history as it pertains to our world. We are still ignorant but we are learning a great deal. Also, conveniently enough, the supernatural can be used as a ruse to achieve control and ultimately systematically seize power. Religion can be analogized as a great big human raging fire. Looking for the cause of the fire? That's the easy part. Sometimes to find things you just need to reverse engineer the events. The clues are all around.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" ~Voltaire

When reading that quote most instantly think of killing in the name of God as being an example of "atrocities" as Voltaire points out. While that certainly would be a great example and one we've seen end the lives of many innocent people throughout history, I tend to think it's more of the result of having been separated regarding having different ideologies and meanings to what life is for. So in the end perhaps separation is really the biggest atrocity in terms of the damage it yields. When having different ideologies sometimes, but not in all cases, a mother's love can be trumped. A father could give up his daughter. A person can be viewed as less than human. A whole country of individuals can be summed up as oppressive and evil. I'm sure you can come up with many more examples. Interesting isn't it?

And lastly you've no doubt heard the bundle of sticks fable before. Just in case you haven't here's a refresher:

THE BUNDLE OF STICKS

A certain Father had a family of Sons, who were forever quarreling among themselves. No words he could say did the least good, so he cast about in his mind for some very striking example that should make them see that discord would lead them to misfortune.

One day when the quarreling had been much more violent than usual and each of the Sons was moping in a surly manner, he asked one of them to bring him a bundle of sticks. Then handing the bundle to each of his Sons in turn he told them to try to break it. But although each one tried his best, none was able to do so.

The Father then untied the bundle and gave the sticks to his Sons to break one by one. This they did very easily.

"My Sons," said the Father, "do you not see how certain it is that if you agree with each other and help each other, it will be impossible for your enemies to injure you? But if you are divided among yourselves, you will be no stronger than a single stick in that bundle."

In unity is strength.

If unity is strength then separation is weakness. I see us all as one despite being terribly separated. No countries. No religions. We are all living and came from the same planet we've resided on and evolved from with only 0.1% of a difference DNA wise from one person to the next no matter whether you are Russian, Jewish, Muslim, or American. Physically we are no different from each other as one red ant to the next. Science has discovered that all living organisms on earth share DNA. This includes plants, trees, bushes, etc. But as long as we are divisive about why we are here, how we got here, and where this is all going... we are doomed just like the dinosaurs who were here before us. Different stories, different age, but same result. Do not underestimate the importance of belief.
[+] 2 users Like dirtstar's post