im 21 always believed until now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 06:50 PM
im 21 always believed until now
Hi my name is will, Im 21 and am a newly discovered atheist, yet I am scared of playing the quija lol, if the quija and bad spirits are real, god should be real? or is their really nothing supernatural at all just undiscovered science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes willmartinez's post
08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: im 21 always believed until now
Welcome, Will!! Spirits, ghosts, and such have just as much evidence for their existence as god himself (personal/anecdotal/debunkable). Oiuji away without worry Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-05-2014, 07:05 PM
The supernatural is by default not disprovable or provable.

That said, there's no good reason to believe anything asserted without evidence, and superstition has been disproved repeatedly by science.

Welcome!

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
08-05-2014, 08:32 PM
(08-05-2014 06:50 PM)willmartinez Wrote:  Hi my name is will, Im 21 and am a newly discovered atheist, yet I am scared of playing the quija lol, if the quija and bad spirits are real, god should be real? or is their really nothing supernatural at all just undiscovered science.

Welcome Will, as someone who used to do tarot card readings and play with quija boards, I can tell you it's all bs.

Especially when other people are around...someone is always driving the train and it's always human and explainable.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure it's called "ouija," not "quija," by the way. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
09-05-2014, 07:48 AM
(09-05-2014 07:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's called "ouija," not "quija," by the way. Consider

It is.

And it's a registered trademark, incidentally, because it was invented as a game and treated as such for decades before the spiritualists got their contaminating fingers all over it.

... this is my signature!
09-05-2014, 08:01 AM
(09-05-2014 07:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 07:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's called "ouija," not "quija," by the way. Consider

It is.

And it's a registered trademark, incidentally, because it was invented as a game and treated as such for decades before the spiritualists got their contaminating fingers all over it.

Pretty sure it was always magic

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I picked up a lot of wooisms from my mother and a belief in reincarnation. When I went to university I made friends with someone who was into tarot and so I got into that as well. I always had a conditioned fear of oiuji boards though because whenever they would appear on TV in some ghost story, something bad would happen to the characters and my mother would mutter away saying things like how stupid it was to do such things.

I later found out that my grandmother, who was a spiritualist and claimed to be a medium and faith healer used to use a ouiji board. Every Saturday she'd have some friends over and they'd do their seances. My mother actually has psychological scars from growing up in that environment as an impressionable young girl because there was so much talk about ghosts and spirits constantly watching over us. She can't stay in a house alone at night. She actually feels safer being outside in the middle of a dark forest by herself at night than alone in a house.

Even though I know that it's all crap now and I have shed my woo-isms, I'm aware of how I am still conditioned to be more wary of a ouiji board than say divination using a pendulum even though they work in exactly the same way (subconscious micro- movements of your own muscles to give you the answer that you want or already believe in)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
09-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Hmmm... Consider ...
Since it's fakery, anyway... can't we call it anything we want?

Wink

Ha - I'm just messing with you, Vosy.

I like starting off my Friday with a poke at my favorite grammar nazi. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-05-2014, 09:04 AM
(09-05-2014 09:01 AM)kim Wrote:  

Hmmm... Consider ...
Since it's fakery, anyway... can't we call it anything we want?

Wink

Ha - I'm just messing with you, Vosy.

I like starting off my Friday with a poke at my favorite grammar nazi. Drinking Beverage

Vosy Laughat

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post