im back with a usual problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: im back with a usual problem.
P.S. - I'd like to see some of you reach out to him, on his channel. I think he really does need our help and support, and I think that we'd benefit from his brain, which is what I told him last night. Below is the video he posted about why he was no longer going to be doing religion videos. My heart breaks for the people who suffer from religion's highly-evolved (in the sense that a meme evolves like a virus does, to become more virulent) ability to attack our psychological well-being in order to propagate and sustain itself. Sad

I think he needs a few more views on his channel, and some words of encouragement. He is 40, and only just left the faith two years ago. He seems to feel ignored by the atheist community, now that he's left the comfort of the community of his upbringing. Letting him know how NOT alone he is might help him... and I think it will help us, too, for members like Jewel.

All my best wishes for both of you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-08-2016, 09:32 AM
(30-08-2016 09:20 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I grew up in a church that was similarly paranoid, and spun most of the same crazy "Left Behind"-related conspiracy stories.

Marks on the hand and head! Can't do commerce without them! Yadda yadda. It got so paranoiac that my family removed the cable and antennas from the house, so our TV only could play what tapes my folks brought home from the public library or the one at our church, lest The World™ come into our home and open us up to demonic influence. Yep. That kinda crazy.

Please, Jewel, read Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. It helped me immeasurably, when I was breaking away from the chains placed upon me by the psychological abuse of fundamentalism.

I just "recruited" a guy to this website, a YouTuber called The Cajun Atheist, who recently stopped posting videos about his escape from religion because of the overwhelming anxiety he still suffers as a result of his indoctrination. He signed up last night, but only stayed a couple of minutes--presumably because it was already after midnight, locally. But I'm hoping he comes back, so he can see how common his experiences are.

The hard part of becoming an atheist is realizing that there's no magic, caring dude in the sky, looking out for us, that all we have to rely upon is one another. That's also the good news. Smile

I'll look into that book. The title sounds like something I would read.
I wish your good news set in as quickly as the religion did. But when you start off young coloring Noah's ark purple.. It's hard to break away.
I hope your friend comes back! Cosmicraven and I used to help each other when we came to a rough patch.
Plus everyone here is so smart and well read. That's why I snoop around reading whatever I can find. Even if it's not related, it helps me remember the world isn't ending.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
30-08-2016, 09:39 AM
(30-08-2016 08:20 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 08:10 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As a fellow anxiety sufferer, I get it. What I am not clear on is what you feel anxious about. Was the one world order a bad thing and why? How I would get through my anxiety attacks was to try to think the entire situation through. Why do you think so many people have bank cards?

It was in church. It meant the rising of the antichrist..
Even though I try not to get worked up over a religion I don't believe in anymore.. I think it's just rooted so deep down.
We would talk about things that showed us coming to the return of Jesus and I would go along with it in church and then freak out in my car. While it's not nearly as bad as it was for me.. Sometimes things trigger it.
My anxiety stems off of anything related to the return of Jesus.. For a Christian that was something you should look forward to.. But it was my greatest fear. All of the horror stories that would happen to your family if left behind.. It's a terrifying thing. Even worse was things that happened to a Christian who didn't do their works. Having Jesus say "turn from me I never knew ye" and being cast into the shadows of heaven.. My preacher always went in deeply of the horrifying things that would happen either way.

I don't know about your particular brand of brain washing, but the strangest part of many of the "Signs of Jesus coming soon" group say and do everything they can to delay the coming. Proof positive that they do not believe it.
30-08-2016, 09:45 AM
(30-08-2016 09:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  P.S. - I'd like to see some of you reach out to him, on his channel. I think he really does need our help and support, and I think that we'd benefit from his brain, which is what I told him last night. Below is the video he posted about why he was no longer going to be doing religion videos. My heart breaks for the people who suffer from religion's highly-evolved (in the sense that a meme evolves like a virus does, to become more virulent) ability to attack our psychological well-being in order to propagate and sustain itself. Sad

I think he needs a few more views on his channel, and some words of encouragement. He is 40, and only just left the faith two years ago. He seems to feel ignored by the atheist community, now that he's left the comfort of the community of his upbringing. Letting him know how NOT alone he is might help him... and I think it will help us, too, for members like Jewel.

All my best wishes for both of you.

I watched this.. And it nearly made me cry. The things he said about the trauma of religion.. I've read it a million times. But to hear someone else SAY it.. It got me. It's relatable 100% for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
30-08-2016, 09:46 AM
(30-08-2016 09:39 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 08:20 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  It was in church. It meant the rising of the antichrist..
Even though I try not to get worked up over a religion I don't believe in anymore.. I think it's just rooted so deep down.
We would talk about things that showed us coming to the return of Jesus and I would go along with it in church and then freak out in my car. While it's not nearly as bad as it was for me.. Sometimes things trigger it.
My anxiety stems off of anything related to the return of Jesus.. For a Christian that was something you should look forward to.. But it was my greatest fear. All of the horror stories that would happen to your family if left behind.. It's a terrifying thing. Even worse was things that happened to a Christian who didn't do their works. Having Jesus say "turn from me I never knew ye" and being cast into the shadows of heaven.. My preacher always went in deeply of the horrifying things that would happen either way.

I don't know about your particular brand of brain washing, but the strangest part of many of the "Signs of Jesus coming soon" group say and do everything they can to delay the coming. Proof positive that they do not believe it.

Pfft my church was all over it. The don't want to delay it. They jumped up excited at any thought of it
30-08-2016, 10:04 AM
(30-08-2016 09:46 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 09:39 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I don't know about your particular brand of brain washing, but the strangest part of many of the "Signs of Jesus coming soon" group say and do everything they can to delay the coming. Proof positive that they do not believe it.

Pfft my church was all over it. The don't want to delay it. They jumped up excited at any thought of it

One of the Seventh-Day-Adventists is that before Haysus gets back there will be a national Sunday law in the USA (the only place that God cares that much about) but they spend mucho money fighting the idea of Suncay laws. (Laws that require businesses to close on Sunday, 150 years ago as their church was forming these laws were common.)
30-08-2016, 10:19 AM
It's fcked up what religion can do to the mind...you may break away but the scars are still there.

My anxiety stems from realizing my mortality as I deconverted. My parents were never really big on the end of times, but they did make sure us kids knew about what would happen. It did cross my mind that I could be 'left behind' as I deconverted, but the less I believed, the more I considered all of that to be bullsht.

It's rough, I can imagine, if it's been so thoroughly ingrained in your mind. Letting go of that fear is next to impossible, or that fear can morph into something else.

I'm still learning to overcome my anxiety. I find that meditating in the quiet of the woods to be very helpful. My therapist has said the trick is to train your mind to be able to snap to 'calm' as soon as you start to feel anxious, to tell your mind that the fear is real but the cause is not.

I've had some success with this. Haven't had a major panic attack in a while, but it's still there, and probably always will be, buried.

I hope you too can find peace.

Hug

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
30-08-2016, 10:56 AM
(30-08-2016 10:19 AM)Loom Wrote:  It's fcked up what religion can do to the mind...you may break away but the scars are still there.

My anxiety stems from realizing my mortality as I deconverted. My parents were never really big on the end of times, but they did make sure us kids knew about what would happen. It did cross my mind that I could be 'left behind' as I deconverted, but the less I believed, the more I considered all of that to be bullsht.

It's rough, I can imagine, if it's been so thoroughly ingrained in your mind. Letting go of that fear is next to impossible, or that fear can morph into something else.

I'm still learning to overcome my anxiety. I find that meditating in the quiet of the woods to be very helpful. My therapist has said the trick is to train your mind to be able to snap to 'calm' as soon as you start to feel anxious, to tell your mind that the fear is real but the cause is not.

I've had some success with this. Haven't had a major panic attack in a while, but it's still there, and probably always will be, buried.

I hope you too can find peace.

Hug

i think ill try something like that.
normally i try to rationalize things.. think of is it really that bad?
sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt.
30-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Hug

It can be hard, but you have to be careful not to let anyone manipulate your emotions.

I don't even let people tell me that I'm "special". Flattering psychopathy is every bit as insidious as spooky psychopathy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
30-08-2016, 11:27 AM
I find it, I won't say "funny" but maybe "interesting" is the word, that the same small-government folks who generally trumpet the call that government is too inefficient and incompetent to effectively organize and run ANYTHING, that corporations are much more efficient, also take the opinion that the governments of the world are involved in a vast conspiracy to bring about some New World Order and enslave the common man, etc. Which is it? They're either lazy, incompetent, buffoons or calculating, shrewd, cunning, manipulators. It can't be both.

Anyway anxiety disorders and attacks are very real and a big problem, sorry to hear you're going through this.