infant dependency and mortality rate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: infant dependency and mortality rate
(13-04-2013 02:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 02:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  a case could be made for either, I choose to define Atheism as more of an active position (as in one has weighed the available data and found it wanting) where as agnosticism is more passive. Since in the case of the child who was raised by aliens and was never introduced to the concept it is closer to my definition of agnostic.

And I would take it just the other way around.
Agnostic meaning without knowledge of the nature of god, atheist without even the concept of god.

All in definition and we can see now why every translation of the bible varies so radically. I don't think you're wrong with your definition but I think mine can work equally as well.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 02:47 PM
(13-04-2013 02:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 02:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  And I would take it just the other way around.
Agnostic meaning without knowledge of the nature of god, atheist without even the concept of god.

All in definition and we can see now why every translation of the bible varies so radically. I don't think you're wrong with your definition but I think mine can work equally as well.

Yup.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 12:59 AM
(13-04-2013 02:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 02:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  a case could be made for either, I choose to define Atheism as more of an active position (as in one has weighed the available data and found it wanting) where as agnosticism is more passive. Since in the case of the child who was raised by aliens and was never introduced to the concept it is closer to my definition of agnostic.

And I would take it just the other way around.

I agree with you Chas. I've always thought that agnostics believe that nothing can be known about God. It seems that in order to take that position one must have a concept of God. Atheists on the otherhand either reject the notion of Gods existence or simply have no belief in God. Someone ho had no concept of God can't have a belief in God. Atheist seem to be the more appropriate description of our abductee.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
14-04-2013, 09:25 AM
it gets very silly when you introduce alien abduction, and you define them as providing an education comparable to ours

it is a real shame that you people have such difficulty in sorting these semantic problems out, every six months - and you think you are smarter than the Christians

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
16-04-2013, 02:54 AM
(14-04-2013 09:25 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  it gets very silly when you introduce alien abduction, and you define them as providing an education comparable to ours

it is a real shame that you people have such difficulty in sorting these semantic problems out, every six months - and you think you are smarter than the Christians

The alien abduction is nothing more than a thought experiment designed to illustrate a point. Christ used thought experiments to illustrate points too....except He called them parables. Do you think Christ was getting silly when he used a parable?

17-04-2013, 07:05 PM
(16-04-2013 02:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 09:25 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  it gets very silly when you introduce alien abduction, and you define them as providing an education comparable to ours

The alien abduction is nothing more than a thought experiment designed to illustrate a point. Christ used thought experiments to illustrate points too....except He called them parables. Do you think Christ was getting silly when he used a parable?

Sure, some of them were quite shit, like the ones about fig trees where he basically called people who disagreed with him douchebags or something. Honestly I don't give a shit about his parables, since most of them express the moral sophistication of a child. Also, what's with his preaching parables from a boat in Matthew? Who does he think he is, someone genuinely popular like Justin Bieber?

Fun thing to note, that within their lifetimes, Justin Bieber has affected more lives than Jesus (if Jesus was even real).

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-04-2013, 02:22 PM
(17-04-2013 07:05 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 02:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The alien abduction is nothing more than a thought experiment designed to illustrate a point. Christ used thought experiments to illustrate points too....except He called them parables. Do you think Christ was getting silly when he used a parable?

Sure, some of them were quite shit, like the ones about fig trees where he basically called people who disagreed with him douchebags or something. Honestly I don't give a shit about his parables, since most of them express the moral sophistication of a child. Also, what's with his preaching parables from a boat in Matthew? Who does he think he is, someone genuinely popular like Justin Bieber?

Fun thing to note, that within their lifetimes, Justin Bieber has affected more lives than Jesus (if Jesus was even real).

If Justin Bieber lived when Christ did do you think he would be remembered 2000 years later?