interested in the atheist perspective

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: interested in the atheist perspective
(30-11-2014 02:45 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Okay.... then, in regards to the above posts.

If it's not beneficial... heck, even if its benign in its ignorance of us, why even bother with it?

Also, why then now should there be only one of these creatures?

Can you not see the rabbit hole down which your thoughts are descending?

Much cheers to all.

I acknowledge your points for sure. I don't picture it as a rabbit hole.. Just a wall of blackness of which nothing can really be said with any certainty. My mind is attracted to these things for some reason..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 02:59 AM
(30-11-2014 02:55 AM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I acknowledge your points for sure. I don't picture it as a rabbit hole.. Just a wall of blackness of which nothing can really be said with any certainty. My mind is attracted to these things for some reason..

Okay then.

So... there's these non-euclidean being (OR beings). WHat then is your take on how to go about dealing/thinking/etc with them/it?

If that's a god... why worship it?

Thence, how does one test for said non-euclidean being (OR beings)?

Since, as you've postulated, they/it can pass through our dimensions/reality and such?

Much cheers to all.
30-11-2014, 03:04 AM
(30-11-2014 02:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 02:35 AM)Switz5678 Wrote:  Why we are supposing that A fine tuner would want there to be many places for humans to inhabit?Perhaps Humans are just an unintended consequence. What you have done is created a Strawman, and proceeded to defeat it.

Fine-tuning is proposed almost exclusively by those arguing for their fine-tuner, a way to crowbar their god belief into modernity. So what reason is there to presuppose a fine-tuner unless you have a vested interest in defending a indefensible belief in the supernatural? Even assuming that a universe has variables that can be fine-tuned, why propose it is anything else other than natural chance? Unless you have evidence for a fine-tuner, who are you to debate on what it's motives and desires may or may not be? Clearly the universe is not fine tuned to create life bearing worlds, as it's far more evidently conducive to making stars and black holes; but we don't see too many religions worshiping either of those.

Well thats not me. Would you ask me the same question if I was here talking about a Multiverse? We don't have evidence of it either

I never debated on the motives, I only highlighted the tendency of other to do so. I am who I am.
30-11-2014, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 03:24 AM by Switz5678.)
(30-11-2014 02:59 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Okay then.

So... there's these non-euclidean being (OR beings). WHat then is your take on how to go about dealing/thinking/etc with them/it?

If that's a god... why worship it?

Thence, how does one test for said non-euclidean being (OR beings)?

Since, as you've postulated, they/it can pass through our dimensions/reality and such?

Much cheers to all.

There is no way to know.

I don't know if we should or should not worship these hypothetical beings. If I did know for a way to prove/disprove this then I'd probably be famous. I'm not trying to be vague as to avoid a debate.. I just know that I can't say much about the topic other then its possible. Now I don't find all things that are "possible" worthy of spending time talking about..I just was really intrigued by the fact that the Multiverse has little to no evidence for it, but people here are willing to accept it. Mind you these are the same who say they don't believe in a God because there is no evidence.

Coherent they say the multiverse is, but a great many of our recent discoveries are anything but logical or consistent with our knowledge prior.

Anyways my friends it has been nice talking with you. I'm up way too late, but I want you to know that I appreciate how you've interacted. I know that I am the off key voice in this choir, but at least it makes things a little more interesting.
30-11-2014, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 05:46 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
Is s/he fucking with us?

(30-11-2014 02:18 AM)Switz5678 Wrote:  There is some support for 3 dimensions being an illusion. Obviously the rest is just a product of a fancy imagination.

Are you fucking with me? I think you're fucking with me.

What evidence?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
30-11-2014, 04:45 AM
(30-11-2014 02:18 AM)Switz5678 Wrote:  There is some support for 3 dimensions being an illusion. Obviously the rest is just a product of a fancy imagination.

Well apart from "I exist", everything is up to interpretation, but why think that reality is different than what we can verify it to be? Unless you come up with some evidence of that, it's just a waste of time and energy. So, let's not go the Matrix philosophy route, ok?

Have you ever bought furniture or seen someone buying it? When they want to check if it's going to fit in their house, such as a small library, how many measurements do they take? Width and height only?

What about building a house? Is your house a standing 2D rectangular?

Can you go up/down or only left/right when you walk?

What about elevators? Planes?

I think you get the picture. Not only there are 3 dimensions, there are 4 that we know of.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
30-11-2014, 05:40 AM
(30-11-2014 04:45 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well apart from "I exist", everything is up to interpretation

Actually, under solipsism, nothing can ever be known - not even solipsism itself.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
30-11-2014, 05:47 AM
(30-11-2014 05:40 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 04:45 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well apart from "I exist", everything is up to interpretation

Actually, under solipsism, nothing can ever be known - not even solipsism itself.

Sounds like a pretty dumb system to me. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-11-2014, 06:12 AM
(30-11-2014 05:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 05:40 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Actually, under solipsism, nothing can ever be known - not even solipsism itself.

Sounds like a pretty dumb system to me. Drinking Beverage

You might also know it as denialism: the denial of reality itself. It's insanity of the highest quality.
Note that solipsists ignore that their philosophy is self-defeating by means of special pleading. Anything and everything is unknowable, except these two things:
  1. Solipsism being true
  2. Cogito ergo sum

Why are those two things not only knowable, but 100% true, under solipsism? Your guess is as good as mine.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
30-11-2014, 06:28 AM
(30-11-2014 06:12 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 05:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sounds like a pretty dumb system to me. Drinking Beverage

You might also know it as denialism: the denial of reality itself. It's insanity of the highest quality.
Note that solipsists ignore that their philosophy is self-defeating by means of special pleading. Anything and everything is unknowable, except these two things:
  1. Solipsism being true
  2. Cogito ergo sum

Why are those two things not only knowable, but 100% true, under solipsism? Your guess is as good as mine.

Sounds like premium, Grade-A, philosobull to me.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post