intro

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 11:49 AM
intro
First off, a big THANK YOU to Seth Andrews. He has been my main guide as I have been going through this frankly frightening transition. I'm a pretty sad case. I'm 61 years old. From a conservative Christian family. Started getting the doctrine shoved into my skull since before I can remember. Did the official "walk down the aisle" at age 7. Now, between my 60th and 61st year, I've started to awake out of this lifelong delusion, like a dream that slowly falls away as you wake up. But I am TOTALLY IN THE CLOSET, and will be for as long as possible. All my family, my spouse, my grown child... all serious Christians. As I heard Seth Andrews advise someone on the phone, "take your time, take your time" about coming out. The first time I had the thought "Could there really be... NO JESUS???", scared the hell out of me. I still feel him, it's a life-long thing and it won't just go away fast. So my whole life, decisions made, etc has been based on a giant lie. Like I said, pretty sad.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: intro
Welcome! I'm closeted mostly, as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Welcome LJ, take all the time you need.
23-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Yes, LJ, you have had sage advice, you need time and being gentle but realistic with yourself, taking a step at a time. Takes a while to "re-program" the human mind, but I am sure you will get support here.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
23-09-2016, 02:03 PM
(23-09-2016 11:49 AM)LJonny61 Wrote:  First off, a big THANK YOU to Seth Andrews. He has been my main guide as I have been going through this frankly frightening transition. I'm a pretty sad case. I'm 61 years old. From a conservative Christian family. Started getting the doctrine shoved into my skull since before I can remember. Did the official "walk down the aisle" at age 7. Now, between my 60th and 61st year, I've started to awake out of this lifelong delusion, like a dream that slowly falls away as you wake up. But I am TOTALLY IN THE CLOSET, and will be for as long as possible. All my family, my spouse, my grown child... all serious Christians. As I heard Seth Andrews advise someone on the phone, "take your time, take your time" about coming out. The first time I had the thought "Could there really be... NO JESUS???", scared the hell out of me. I still feel him, it's a life-long thing and it won't just go away fast. So my whole life, decisions made, etc has been based on a giant lie. Like I said, pretty sad.

I kicked Catholicism and the bible to the curb along with my brother Grimm's fairy tales when I was 10. I am still largely in the closet. I come out selectively. Good friends know. There is no hurry at all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Welcome aboard.
23-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Your whole life hasn't been based on a lie. The religious aspects certainly, but much of the rest has little to do with that.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Hug

Hello! Big Grin
24-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Hello, and welcome. Smile

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
24-09-2016, 10:25 AM
To be fair, it's likely (though not proved) that there really was a wandering apocalyptic preacher upon whom the Bible character is based. The one that's described in the Gospels, notsomuch.

Many of us have made the transition. Seth is right-- make the transition carefully. It can be very rough, when family finds out you're no longer part of the herd.

Welcome to TTA and the free world. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson