is Psychology science ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
is Psychology science ?
I don't even know if this is really a science branch, I find it really because to me it's opinions about how people behave with repeated experiments to getting the same results but not knowing what causes it directly, not really a direct answer. So is this 1/2 pseudo science and 1/2 science. Or is it accepted science.

Prefer these field of sciences like Biophysics, Biology, Chemistry, Neurology, Genetics, Physiology, and perhaps much more field of science to explain human behavior and stuff like that.

After thinking for and writing about this, I think Psychology is like the field of science trying to understand human behavior with not direct answer, but results from repeated experiments, that seems to make sense. Maybe it's like Alchemy that became later became Chemistry.

Well I'd love to hear what you guys think about Psychology Tongue

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 11:44 PM
RE: is Psychology science ?
(10-03-2011 10:53 PM)Laxion Wrote:  I don't even know if this is really a science branch, I find it really because to me it's opinions about how people behave with repeated experiments to getting the same results but not knowing what causes it directly, not really a direct answer. So is this 1/2 pseudo science and 1/2 science. Or is it accepted science.

Prefer these field of sciences like Biophysics, Biology, Chemistry, Neurology, Genetics, Physiology, and perhaps much more field of science to explain human behavior and stuff like that.

After thinking for and writing about this, I think Psychology is like the field of science trying to understand human behavior with not direct answer, but results from repeated experiments, that seems to make sense. Maybe it's like Alchemy that became later became Chemistry.

Well I'd love to hear what you guys think about Psychology Tongue
Psychology is not an accepted science. Science needs empirical verification as a primary determinant factor, and psychology lacks this at this time. They are still at the level of explaining observed behavior by means of different schools of thought. However, with the sophistication we are gaining in brain scans and brain chemistry, it may not be long before we begin seeing psychology in a more scientific light. I'm not personnaly holding my breath, I see it as important,but I still think it has a ways to go.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
11-03-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't have much of an opinion on this matter, so I'll refer to the ultimate academic authority that is wikipedia, which describes is as a science.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
11-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Psychology is a social science. In many ways social sciences are like philosophy because there are few direct answers. Social sciences are science in the fact that they use observation as their main proof, but also fall out of science in that they have no definite answers. Linguistics, anthropology, etc. these are fields which interact with humans, and therefore have more variations than other sciences. The mathematical sciences are where you get a concrete answer, but since they are still using the scientific method to reach conclusions social sciences are considered science.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 4 users Like Lilith Pride's post
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Hm... never really heard social science before. Cool, well I thought about it, I accept psychology actually. Maybe going to google social science as well.

thanks for the reply Smile

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
12-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Social science is a decent term, but I still disagree that psychology has reached the plateau of hard science. Take the different theories for example. Are there tests to verify any of their usefulness? Can you weigh whether or not George Kelly's construct system explains better than Carl Roger's self-actualization theory? Or how about different ideas within the theorists? Just how exactly does one objectively measure how deep ones Oedipus complex goes? Or one's inferiority complex? Karl Popper introduced falsifiability for science, and in his "Conjectures and Refuatations: The Growth of Scientific Knowledge", said that you can put a troubled child in front of any number of differing psychologists with any number of differing theories, and they will all explain it just as well as the next because there is no falsification principle in the field. With scientific inquiry, we have the ability to say "If x happens, my hypothesis is confirmed, but if y happens, it is likely incorrect." As I alluded to above though, psychology is on the move and they seem to be getting better. When they start measuring different levels of brain chemicals and connecting theories with empirical verification and/or falsification, then it may be considered a hard science.

12-03-2011, 07:32 AM
That's the point of social sciences, they aren't hard. Cultural anthropologists spend a lot of time trying to build up tribal lineage information because it is the only objective proof they can infer. Though they do many very helpful things in observing people. You can't really say I spent a year in Topeka, Kansas and now I am a master of all things Topeka, Kansas. Look at apeology with Gene Goodall and such. A field where they study the social structures of apes. How many incorrect inferences do they make? These things can sometimes still have merit scientifically even though there is no hard evidence.

Also no matter how much they map the brain it does not give psychology any further credit. Mapping the brain is useful for psychiatry. psychology deals with psychoses and such not medication but the person dealing with their own mind. Psychiatry is diagnostical, as it's the actual medical practice. Psychology will always be sitting and talking to someone you don't know about what you feel is wrong. Generally the main usefulness of this field is that people are uncomfortable discussing problems in their normal life.

I went through 12 psychs before I could find one that would agree to handle what I wanted handled. So obviously it's nothing exact, but when I got one I wanted it helped some. I needed a psych in order to get verification for my hormone treatment. The pills are given by a doctor.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
12-03-2011, 11:04 PM
(12-03-2011 07:32 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  That's the point of social sciences, they aren't hard. Cultural anthropologists spend a lot of time trying to build up tribal lineage information because it is the only objective proof they can infer. Though they do many very helpful things in observing people. You can't really say I spent a year in Topeka, Kansas and now I am a master of all things Topeka, Kansas. Look at apeology with Gene Goodall and such. A field where they study the social structures of apes. How many incorrect inferences do they make? These things can sometimes still have merit scientifically even though there is no hard evidence.

Also no matter how much they map the brain it does not give psychology any further credit. Mapping the brain is useful for psychiatry. psychology deals with psychoses and such not medication but the person dealing with their own mind. Psychiatry is diagnostical, as it's the actual medical practice. Psychology will always be sitting and talking to someone you don't know about what you feel is wrong. Generally the main usefulness of this field is that people are uncomfortable discussing problems in their normal life.

I went through 12 psychs before I could find one that would agree to handle what I wanted handled. So obviously it's nothing exact, but when I got one I wanted it helped some. I needed a psych in order to get verification for my hormone treatment. The pills are given by a doctor.
Absolutely, just wanted to make sure OP got the demarcation between hard and social. Great job defining the differences between psychiatry and psychology, I realize I was crossing the line a little. Sorry to hear you had to go through more psychs than me :/ For me that whole deal was a buttload of trouble, I imagine you had it worse.

01-04-2011, 03:55 AM

Some say it is. Since some of the evidence seems to be subjective, seem to follow a less scientific. Therefore, the conclusions you reach may not be purely scientific.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 01:25 PM by TrainWreck.)
(11-03-2011 07:18 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Psychology is a social science. In many ways social sciences are like philosophy because there are few direct answers. Social sciences are science in the fact that they use observation as their main proof, but also fall out of science in that they have no definite answers. Linguistics, anthropology, etc. these are fields which interact with humans, and therefore have more variations than other sciences. The mathematical sciences are where you get a concrete answer, but since they are still using the scientific method to reach conclusions social sciences are considered science.

This is pretty good. I would just suggest that Philosophy be considered a subject of Sociology, like Psychology - I have a list you can reference.

Sociology - the general study of human organization, including the individual

1. Anthropology - the study of the origins of human organization
2. Economology - the study of the interaction of organizations and individuals (Economics)
3. Psychology - the study of the individual
4. Politicology - the study of governing systems (Political science)
5. Ideology - the study of ideological systems (Philosophy)
6. Chronology - the study of evolutionary events

Linguistics is in there someplace as a subdivision of, at least, Anthropology and Ideology.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post