is entertainment truly becoming global

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
is entertainment truly becoming global
subject one: I have noticed a growing trend towards foriegn entertainment. not just by america but the world.{I am not the only one.} it goes to show this world is really becoming smaller in more ways than one. here is the thing though. do you forsee like I might in the future.a internationalize box office.

subject two: I hate to say this but I hate region restriction. they are incredibly annoying abd the don't do what their supposed to do. which is UI think stop piracy.... all they end up doing is keeping me from watching great movies but with this up coming global market I think that may solve that. what do you guys think.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 01:53 AM
RE: is entertainment truly becoming global
I can honestly say that I haven't knowingly watched a film in it's entirety that was from a country other that America or the UK. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but it's all I've got to go on.

10-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Outside the US entertainment has been international since the the eighties Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-06-2013, 11:30 AM
(10-06-2013 08:10 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Outside the US entertainment has been international since the the eighties Big Grin

Fifties, more like Yes. And that includes the US. Consider A Fistful of Dollars: an Italian movie made in Spain set in Mexico based on a Japanese movie based on an American novel. That's first to mind, because I just watched it again a couple days ago.

Haven't you seen my music thread? That's totally all about the first globalisation of pop music.

It has become more and more so, that's true. It's easier and easier to share things around the world. But that's always happened - only the frequency changed!
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
(10-06-2013 11:30 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 08:10 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Outside the US entertainment has been international since the the eighties Big Grin

Fifties, more like Yes. And that includes the US. Consider A Fistful of Dollars: an Italian movie made in Spain set in Mexico based on a Japanese movie based on an American novel. That's first to mind, because I just watched it again a couple days ago.

Haven't you seen my music thread? That's totally all about the first globalisation of pop music.

It has become more and more so, that's true. It's easier and easier to share things around the world. But that's always happened - only the frequency changed!

I was born in 1987 so nothing happened before the 80s for me Tongue

I think one think that's helping entertainment to expand is that mainstream media producers are making crappier and crappier things (CoD clones games, superheroes movies made out of a mold, don't get me started with the music indutry). That pushes people to find new things, so a quick search on google or youtube become the source of new and more elaborate tastes, from that on the viral effect of this things make a few hipster's tastes to become mainstream.
Hence: mediocrity here leads to greatness elsewhere Tongue

10-06-2013, 11:59 AM
(10-06-2013 11:44 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I was born in 1987 so nothing happened before the 80s for me Tongue

I think one think that's helping entertainment to expand is that mainstream media producers are making crappier and crappier things (CoD clones games, superheroes movies made out of a mold, don't get me started with the music indutry). That pushes people to find new things, so a quick search on google or youtube become the source of new and more elaborate tastes, from that on the viral effect of this things make a few hipster's tastes to become mainstream.

Oh, you. I was born in 1991 Blink.

I don't think things ARE any crappier than they've always been. There's always been lots of shit (Sturgeon's Law!). But the goodthings are the ones that survive, and the forgettable stuff is... forgotten.
10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
(10-06-2013 11:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 11:44 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I was born in 1987 so nothing happened before the 80s for me Tongue

Oh, you. I was born in 1991 Blink.

I don't think things ARE any crappier than they've always been. There's always been lots of shit (Sturgeon's Law!). But the goodthings are the ones that survive, and the forgettable stuff is... forgotten.

indeed, I meant it in the sense that mainstream media overwhelms the market with the crappy stuff, forcing people to reach out for the good stuff, and the internet makes international good stuff available, hence the internationalization of entertainment Smartass