is islam being taught in schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2016, 04:07 PM
is islam being taught in schools
A friend and I are having a discussion and she brought up that some schools are teaching Islam, is this true?
I don't think it is but I knew you guys would know more than I do on this subject. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2016, 04:51 PM
RE: is islam being taught in schools
We covered some of the basic beliefs of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam very very briefly in high school world history. I wish we'd spent more time on it.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
25-07-2016, 04:52 PM
I believe that all schools should have 3 or 4 years of superstition classes for each and every student before they can graduate, outlining different religions and their beliefs without teaching any as the truth. Just the basic beliefs and probably debunking of many beliefs held by each sect. A semester of Islam starting with the prophet and his 9 year old wife and his hallucinations in his cave (or whatever it was) A semester of religions that started in the USA such as Jehovah's witlesses and Seventh-Day-Adventists, and Scientology and Christian Science and Joseph Smith and his plural wives, because he really believes what the Babble teaches about marriage etc.. By the time one graduated they would have been exposed to quite a few different superstitions and if they choose to adopt one it is up to them.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
25-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Schools should be made to teach philosophy and critical thinking before they can teach religion Sleepy

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
25-07-2016, 05:01 PM
See that's what I thought that it was taught as history and not as being convert to Islam.
25-07-2016, 05:04 PM
(25-07-2016 04:07 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend and I are having a discussion and she brought up that some schools are teaching Islam, is this true?
I don't think it is but I knew you guys would know more than I do on this subject. Thanks

There are lots of schools teaching Islam as fact.

Most of them are in the Middle East.

In the US, some schools teach what Islam is as an aspect of history or current events, and MAYBE there's a few private Muslim schools out there, and MAYBE one or two rogue teachers doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, but otherwise no. No, that is not happening. The big problem is Christianity being taught like that.
25-07-2016, 05:32 PM
I honestly wish my school taught more about religion, we already know so much about the Christian Bible stories but it's amazing how often a Christian will say they've studied other religions and they know their's is the right one but they don't know the differences between Judaism, Xianity and Islam, they have no clue about the tenants or myths surrounding Hinduism or Buddhism, if we don't truly open the door to this knowledge we are implicitly favoring one religion over another.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
25-07-2016, 05:36 PM
I had a Comparative Religion class in High School. It was taught there.

#sigh
25-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I went to a Catholic high school. One of our elective courses was World Religions. It was just an overview of other faith practices, including Islam. It was pretty evenly taught...no this is wrong 'cause we are right kind of vibe. It was more of a sociology class though it counted as part of our religion class requirements for graduation. There were other options.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-07-2016, 07:18 PM
in Quebec there is mandatory world religion and ethics class for student of age 10 to 17. Islam is also studied a little bit in high school when we talk about the Islamic conquest of the Middle East. The only problem is that our textbook and general cursus are terrible and simplist and focus mostly on the more palatable aspect of religion in an effort to teach tolerance, integration and cooperation. It's so «enthousiast» and simplist that this good intention turns sour as student realise the entire class is basically a sham. They then disconnect easily which in turn makes them throw the baby with the bath water.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post