is it arrogance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: is it arrogance
(10-10-2013 11:04 PM)sporehux Wrote:  My born again friend posed Pascals wager to me. And I responded by Saying ,so god would only accept me if I was dishonest about my feelings.
His long winded reply was yes.
That's how I ended up pondering the OP

He said yes? What a dick. Dodgy

Insincerity seems to be a common attribute for quite a few religious fundamentalists. Maybe ask him why he's joined an organization that requires him to try to get others to be dishonest.
Of course, you might have to sit through another long winded reply which could cause him to reveal himself to be even more of a dick. Dodgy

It's always good to know your friends - even the crazy ones. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 11:24 PM
(10-10-2013 11:04 PM)sporehux Wrote:  My born again friend posed Pascals wager to me. And I responded by Saying ,so god would only accept me if I was dishonest about my feelings.
His long winded reply was yes.
That's how I ended up pondering the OP

According to most sermons I've been subjected to, professing your belief won't do you any good if you don't really believe it. You have to be honest in your belief. If this is the case, I think any reasonable being would respect honest disbelief over insincerity. Of course, most Gods aren't reasonable beings. They're egotistical assholes. So, I suppose in the God's eyes it is better to fake it til you make it. Rolleyes

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
10-10-2013, 11:57 PM
What Revenant said
[+] 1 user Likes Andrew_Njonjo's post
11-10-2013, 07:26 AM
A god that commits mass murder on the scale of a world wide killing spree I'm fairly certain has no respect for anything or anyone.

Respect is a human trait. Morals, ethics, knowing the difference between right and wrong are all HUMAN traits.
Gods have to get on our level first and since we invented them out of our own base desires of destruction and creation, they are simply the weakest part of our own humanity.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
11-10-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 10:01 AM by houseofcantor.)
From my "theist prophet" days, all things come from god, all things return to god; punishment/reward scenarios have no validity. "Respect you more" is not a divine consideration. A "relationship with god" is to be more in tune with your environment, to grow and to learn, so, no, in that sense.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 08:27 AM
"If there is a God, atheism must seem to him as less of an insult than religion." Edmond de Goncourt

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
11-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I like to think that any deity would be "fair" and "just", . . . as the claims about it are said to go, that is, . . . so I would think that such a deity would have to respect a sincere disbelief over an insincere belief. But that the biblical "god" actually IS "fair" or truly IS "just" . . . being highly debatable, . . . it may very well be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario. If the biblical god is like the Ori [Stargate SG-1], then there is very little even the honest person can do but be destroyed.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
11-10-2013, 08:56 AM
(10-10-2013 09:19 PM)sporehux Wrote:  is it arrogant to think that a god would respect atheist more. (If there was a god/gods etc
I'm thinking God respects nobody. Conceptually, we are just puppets for his/her/its amusement no matter how we behave.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
11-10-2013, 09:05 AM
(11-10-2013 08:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  From my "theist prophet" days, all things come from god, all things return to god; punishment/reward scenarios have no validity. "Respect you more" is not a divine consideration. A "relationship with god" is to be more in tune with your environment, to and to learn, so, no, in that sense.
But would God respect you more if you were able to win over Gwinnie? Tongue

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
(11-10-2013 09:05 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 08:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  From my "theist prophet" days, all things come from god, all things return to god; punishment/reward scenarios have no validity. "Respect you more" is not a divine consideration. A "relationship with god" is to be more in tune with your environment, to and to learn, so, no, in that sense.
But would God respect you more if you were able to win over Gwinnie? Tongue

That's it, poke the crazy guy with a stick... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user